• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone encountered a PCGS holder like this?

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone encountered a PCGS holder with the green ring as shown here?  See the second picture...is this what PCGS is referring to (see circled text in yellow)?

Personally, I kind of like it.  Seems to especially emphasize brilliant coins.  Not sure I'd like it with a heavily toned coin.

1885 Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS MS64 obverse 27.2 .jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 10.18.10 AM.png

I think that the "green ring" around the coin is from the background on which the holder was photographed.  The "solid green insert" referred to by PCGS is just another name for the paper label or tag inserted into the holder before it was sealed and identifying the coin and its grade.  I've seen many PCGS slabs of the green label era (late 1980's to late 1990) but have never seen one with something green inside the holder surrounding the coin.

On 2/22/2023 at 11:27 AM, Sandon said:

I think that the "green ring" around the coin is from the background on which the holder was photographed.  The "solid green insert" referred to by PCGS is just another name for the paper label or tag inserted into the holder before it was sealed and identifying the coin and its grade.  I've seen many PCGS slabs of the green label era (late 1980's to late 1990) but have never seen one with something green inside the holder surrounding the coin.

I don't yet have the coin in hand, so can't comment to how it was photographed, but I'd think the green background would be noticeable in other areas...but I'll post again once I have the coin if I can add further to this.

On 2/22/2023 at 6:26 PM, Coinbuf said:

Ok lets start at the beginning, first you have a PCGS generation 3 slab not a generation 2.2 slab.   While these two generations look similar please note that in the lower right (as viewed) corner of your slab you will see the PCGS initials in the plastic of the slab; a generation 2.2 does not have that.

Second, the color of the ring around the coin is not from the background or any photo issues.   It is very common for the soft plastic ring around the coin in this generation of holder to change color, I have seen the rings in shades of blue, green, yellow, and orange with yellow and green the most common.   It is also common to see the label with the grade and coin information on it to change color as well, usually seen in shades of green and blue.

The information on the PCGS site that you circled in your second photo has nothing to do with plastic ring around the coin, that verbiage is referring to the label at the top of the slab where the grade and coin information is typed and displayed.   The gen 3 holder was the third version of the OGH (old green holder) the first version (gen 2.1) had a label that was perforated on the edges from the dot matrix printing machine that was used, this was discontinued with the gen 2.2 and the label no longer had the perforated edge.

Here is a photo of one of my gen 3 holders, note that in my holder the plastic ring is a darker green than yours, you can also see the color variation of the label between the two.

1887sdo-obv.jpg

Edited 13 minutes ago by Coinbuf

Great info! :golfclap:

On 2/22/2023 at 6:26 PM, Coinbuf said:

Ok lets start at the beginning, first you have a PCGS generation 3 slab not a generation 2.2 slab.   While these two generations look similar please note that in the lower right (as viewed) corner of your slab you will see the PCGS initials in the plastic of the slab; a generation 2.2 does not have that.

Second, the color of the ring around the coin is not from the background or any photo issues.   It is very common for the soft plastic ring around the coin in this generation of holder to change color, I have seen the rings in shades of blue, green, yellow, and orange with yellow and green the most common.   It is also common to see the label with the grade and coin information on it to change color as well, usually seen in shades of green and blue.

The information on the PCGS site that you circled in your second photo has nothing to do with plastic ring around the coin, that verbiage is referring to the label at the top of the slab where the grade and coin information is typed and displayed.   The gen 3 holder was the third version of the OGH (old green holder) the first version (gen 2.1) had a label that was perforated on the edges from the dot matrix printing machine that was used, this was discontinued with the gen 2.2 and the label no longer had the perforated edge.

Here is a photo of one of my gen 3 holders, note that in my holder the plastic ring is a darker green than yours, you can also see the color variation of the label between the two.

1887sdo-obv.jpg

Thanks for the info. The one I bid on had turned yellow like the one in the OP. Label and ring both. It had a quarter in it I really wanted. Someone else wanted it more than I did though and won it. 

On 2/22/2023 at 5:26 PM, Coinbuf said:

Second, the color of the ring around the coin is not from the background or any photo issues.   It is very common for the soft plastic ring around the coin in this generation of holder to change color, I have seen the rings in shades of blue, green, yellow, and orange with yellow and green the most common.   It is also common to see the label with the grade and coin information on it to change color as well, usually seen in shades of green and yellow.

1887sdo-obv.jpg

Excellent info...thank you for providing it.  So, I guess then, that it was only this generation of holder that has this occurring.  Fortunately, I didn't have to pay more than I would have paid for the coin itself...but I think I was prepared to :-).  

Algae bloom.

[It means the TPG did not bother to verify that the plastics they were using were stable. Lucky it's not green slime by now.]

Edited by RWB

I went through all of the PCGS Morgans on Collectors Corner (5000+ images) and found 3 additional, so they are out there.  I just had never seen one before, so partially I was concerned it might be bogus, but mostly just curious as to what exactly was going on.  Thanks all for the insights.