• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old 50’s penn’s

7 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

With few exceptions, cents from the 1950's and 60's even in mint state (uncirculated) condition were saved in roll and mint bag quantities and are only worth at retail a few cents to a few dollars each. The exceptions would be for the 1955 doubled die cent, which shows dramatic doubling at an even level on all of its obverse letters and numbers and is valuable in all circulated and uncirculated grades, and pieces in extremely high uncirculated grades (MS 67RD or higher) as determined by a reputable grading service such as NGC or PCGS, with full original mint color, and essentially devoid of marks, scratches, fingerprints, spots, or any discoloration or other defects.  Even most coins taken from untouched rolls and mint bags do not qualify for such grades, and it takes a great deal of experience to determine which ones might justify the substantial cost of sending them to a grading service. 

If you are interested in becoming a coin collector, you will need resources such as the "Red Book" referred to by @Lem E.  You can find out about some of them and where to obtain them by referring to the following topic on this forum:

Edited by Sandon
correct typo

Very vague question.....assuming the same that you are asking about Lincoln Wheat and Lincoln Memorial cents there are a few key varieties spanning that date window. The 1955 DDO being the highest valued, but there is also a 1969 S DDO which can command some premium dollars as it is not easily found. In order to get higher dollar values across that span I agree with Sandon that the grades need to be at the top end of the MS spectrum. Due to high mintage numbers, even MS 66 specimens won't command any huge premiums.

You question could have easily been answered by looking into any book form or online price guides.

Look carefully at price guides with values for uncirculated cents. The actual prices WILL BE OFF, but the the prices RELATIVE TO EACH OTHER will be informative. You will quickly be able to identify the better dates. 

I'm sorry (not really), but I often wonder why a member (a new member at that) fails to have the common courtesy of replying, to their own post, to the very helpful and insightful professional advice given by experts (of course, that is, unless there was an emergency or something of the such for the member). Especially after THREE days later from posting their question?  🤷 Demmit...... there I go thinking out-loud again...... sorry... (not really, again).

On 2/25/2023 at 10:58 PM, GBrad said:

I'm sorry (not really), but I often wonder why a member (a new member at that) fails to have the common courtesy of replying, to their own post, to the very helpful and insightful professional advice given by experts (of course, that is, unless there was an emergency or something of the such for the member). Especially after THREE days later from posting their question?  🤷 Demmit...... there I go thinking out-loud again...... sorry... (not really, again).

We have had a lot of Bot post lately Greg. There written wording is getting better and it is hard to tell what is a bot and what is not.