• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Machine Doubling 1967 Kennedy
1 1

13 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2023 at 1:28 PM, VKurtB said:

The reason I wrote what I did above is that there seems to be a strong contingent of new collectors who have decided that ALL doubling is interesting to them.

What is even worse is this same contingent of new collectors firmly believes all mechanical or die erosion doubling is an error and is worth premium dollars. As well as every minor imperfection, die crack, slightly imperfect strike well within mint tolerance, or chip/stain/spot/cud on modern coins is now a strike error and refuse to be otherwise educated that it is not.

On 2/17/2023 at 6:59 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Its strike doubling. Its not the good kind of doubling. 

I agree but sometimes it's difficult to tell for sure with just pics.  You can use the attached with the coin in-hand to confirm the MD.

Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

On 2/18/2023 at 3:43 AM, EagleRJO said:

I agree but sometimes it's difficult to tell for sure with just pics.  You can use the attached with the coin in-hand to confirm the MD.

Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

Or to put it another way, the “right” doubling is a “doubling of equals”, rather than a main feature and a lesser feature. 

On 2/18/2023 at 4:43 AM, EagleRJO said:

Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

I could bout tell right away on that one. Had some pretty good pictures to work with.  It had the classic shelf dooubling.