• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1922 Peace Dollar Vam help!
1 1

15 posts in this topic

So I have this Peace Dollar in an older pcgs slab. MS62. Was searching on VamWorld for the vam but there are soo many that I just got more confused and gave up. Lol Anyone here that can nail it down? 

Thanks, Bobby 

20230210_205508.thumb.jpg.5156424a9ea66523f0cbbcc74394ad30.jpg20230210_205014.thumb.jpg.79a4427428d0abb58110b0b3fac32be7.jpg1856629821_1332064430705copy.jpg.eee6d0b57bf375c82369828328c8142a.jpg2018500419_1332064465419copy.jpg.b2315e91d0ed439f2a81bd1d1681f94f.jpg1332064499953.jpg.46d2ad004ecd428a9c626ef60954e29e.jpg270827934_1332064532323copy.jpg.cde7dd0bd48503227e8b440309adda0d.jpg234462640_1922PDClash(2)(1).jpg.53c23c91884928560c8b60c77094abff.jpg

You'll find a lot of clashes missing or not mentiond in VAM listings. It's an idiosyncratic product of VAM collecting, and I feel, a 'turn off' to new collectors who want to know about what they see on silver dollars.

Edited by RWB

On 2/12/2023 at 12:16 PM, RWB said:

You'll find a lot of clashes missing or not mentiond in VAM listings. It's an idiosyncratic product of VAM collecting, and I feel, a 'turn off' to new collectors who want to know about what they see on silver dollars.

Well this is more of a challenge for the senior collectors. The 1922 series has a lot of vams. Most of them are just cool factors but there are some in the top 50 recognized by the tpgs. 

Unfortunately the "top 50" and other named groupings are not the things new collectors ask about. New people find visually prominent or unusual things. Where are the introductory lists and explanations to help answer their questions -- and possibly draw them into that specialty?

On 2/12/2023 at 4:29 PM, RWB said:

Unfortunately the "top 50" and other named groupings are not the things new collectors ask about. New people find visually prominent or unusual things. Where are the introductory lists and explanations to help answer their questions -- and possibly draw them into that specialty?

I asked for help with a Vam, not a lecture!!!

On 2/12/2023 at 6:29 PM, bsshog40 said:

I asked for help with a Vam, not a lecture!!!

I was attempting to explain why there might not be any help because of the way VAM varieties are determined. Looks like it didn't work.

What are we looking for Boss ? I see a weak reverse strike and maybe something on the eagle head and just below the chest. The photo is a bit fuzzy kind of hard to tell there may be more?

So I had this marked as a Vam 2DS using Vam World. But mine doesn't have the faint die break under G in God. Anyway, there are tons of Vams for this year. Mine has a few things going on. I was trying to narrow it down but not quite sure which one it is. The pictures look pretty clear on my phone with text and lines of the issues. I just thought if anyone here still checks out Vams could look at it. This is why I posted in the US Coins section and not the Newbie Section. When you look at the link below, you can see why these can be confusing. Lol 

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com/wiki/1922-P_VAMs

On 2/13/2023 at 6:58 AM, RWB said:

I was attempting to explain why there might not be any help because of the way VAM varieties are determined. Looks like it didn't work.

I posted this in the US Coins forum, not the Newbies section. The Vam isn't that big of an issue and doesn't add any value to the coin. The post was directed at those more experienced with Vams and maybe those that might be interested in Vams. Your comments leads me to think that you believe there are no more serious or experienced collectors on this forum anymore. I'm getting to the point of realizing that if it is something that does not interest you, then no one else would be interested either. 

On 2/13/2023 at 11:37 AM, bsshog40 said:

I posted this in the US Coins forum, not the Newbies section. The Vam isn't that big of an issue and doesn't add any value to the coin. The post was directed at those more experienced with Vams and maybe those that might be interested in Vams. Your comments leads me to think that you believe there are no more serious or experienced collectors on this forum anymore. I'm getting to the point of realizing that if it is something that does not interest you, then no one else would be interested either. 

I am not as big a fan on Peace dollars as I am on Morgan's. and yes. Most VAM's are not valuable but are still fun to find, the 22 is a monster for VAM's.   You can see better on your phone than I can here. Your coin could be before the die scratch came up.

On 2/13/2023 at 11:37 AM, bsshog40 said:

I'm getting to the point of realizing that if it is something that does not interest you, then no one else would be interested either. 

Personally, I'm interested in most parts of numismatics -- the main exclusion being buying and selling. To me, value is deeper than dollars.

Regarding VAM die varieties, I see a specialty that could be if interest to a greater number of collectors than are currently involved. It offers an enjoyable way to approach coins already held by many collectors. Think of digging into the back of the bank box for coins last touched 15 years ago! The evident difficulty for silver dollars is that there is no simple, easily accessed group of starting points. Nothing that explains the extra lines on your Peace dollar, or connects it to known varieties. It's made more confusing because the traditional "VAM" varieties sometimes completely ignore obvious clashes, or other differences, etc. -- which are exactly the kinds of clear die varieties collectors first notice. These kinds of problems discourage people from getting their feet wet in what could be an interesting part of the hobby.

Yeah, I know -- to you I'm "lecturing." Someone else reading this post might have a different reaction. So be it. If something can be improved, then do it.

On 2/13/2023 at 4:34 PM, RWB said:

Nothing that explains the extra lines on your Peace dollar, or connects it to known varieties. 

There are quite a few Vams that reference the doubled olive branches and clash on the eagles right wing. This one was the 2013 Bailey 2DQ and was reassigned as the 2DS. It has a couple other die markers not noted on the variety but is still a known variety.  

On 2/14/2023 at 6:54 AM, VKurtB said:

Is this the very rare and very dangerous “VAM bam, thank you, ma’am”?

Great insight. I'm starting to understand Rogers comments now. 

On 2/14/2023 at 10:41 AM, bsshog40 said:

There are quite a few Vams that reference the doubled olive branches and clash on the eagles right wing. This one was the 2013 Bailey 2DQ and was reassigned as the 2DS. It has a couple other die markers not noted on the variety but is still a known variety.  

Then you're fortunate. Many clashed dies don't get mentioned for their most prominent feature.

Edited by RWB
corrected spelling