• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible restrike over LMC

12 posts in this topic

After 8 years of searching my change I have finally found the 1984P doubled earlobe. As I was studying it closer I noticed areas around the coin where I could see barely visible images of letters around the rim and parts of images throughout the center of the penny. I've included a Pic of the center of the coin where there is what appears to be dogs or some kind of animals just barely visible. I searched for hours trying to find a coin with that copy and the closest I got was an old Roman coin but I don't see how that's possible to wind up with a 1000 year old bronze planchet, polished smooth, then put into circulation with a new date and copy. I thought maybe it was just toning from contact so I cleaned it with acetone, it's still there and it's obvious that it's raised and punched into the metal when looking closely with my scope. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate them. I will attempt to attach a photo here. 

20230209_165341.jpg

I see nothing in your photo, however your photo is slightly out of focus and just washed out with too much light, really impossible to see anything very well.   However, what I can see is that the coin does not appear overstruck at all.   The rim has likely been nicked and dinged after many trips through the coin sorting machine and received some damage, I have no idea what you see inside the circle you drew as it is so washed out with light.

The other possibility is that you have a vice job coin, that is a coin that someone intentionally pressed against another coin in a bench vice or struck with a hammer in a poor attempt to create an error coin.   But with the photo as it is I do not see anything to suggest you have anything but a normal dinged up coin, if it is the double ear I cannot see that.

Hello and welcome! Echoing the others before me, I cannot even make an assessment based on the photo provided. Try not to take the photo through the scope. Try a cell phone pic (most phones cameras nowadays are quite good) using natural daylight, both sides of the coin, and given your question the obverse with the coin tilted in hand at several angles. And, no overlays or text please. Let the coin speak for itself.

Also, for the future, please DO NOT clean your coins or dip them in acetone.

Although, as others have stated, your photos are too "washed out" to determine whether your coin features any mint error, the likely explanation for what you see is bubbles and similar deformities in the copper plating of the coin.  These irregularities are very commonly seen on copper-plated zinc cents from 1982 until approximately 1992 and are generally not wanted by collectors. It took the planchet manufacturers some years to perfect the plating process.

I am posting below a photo of a 1984 "doubled ear" cent graded MS 64RD by PCGS.  Although I don't see the shapes of animals in it, it has a number of raised dots and lumps due to plating bubbles, probably like yours. Photos courtesy of Stacks Bowers Galleries.

224056069_1984DDcentobv..jpg.0166aa1d77bec99caf48caa02c5d0584.jpg1773317048_1984DDcentrev..jpg.a5d138e738e11c19b018b65c4360628d.jpg

I might see a dog with a dog's tail projecting down onto Lincoln's jaw.  Looking at the plating bubbles on the side of his face is kind of like looking at a cloud and describing a shape.  Some will see it and some won't.

Plus I would post full pics of the obverse and reverse, and you can describe things you see instead of marking over something.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/11/2023 at 2:27 AM, J. Johnson Sr said:

I really don't know how any of you cannot see the dogs at the end of the big red arrow but you all answered my question in another way, thanks for your time. 

Others don't see what you "see" because they are describing what is present on the coin, not in your mind. Pareidolia is very powerful because it is part of how our brain detects features and shapes that are out of place -- such as a leopard hiding amid tree branches as it waits to pounce on a human ancestor. Our optical system is on the low end of mammal acuity, so we use other tricks to improve visual information.

You "see" certain shapes, and reinforce them until they become real -- but only to you. Look at the full moon next month - do you see a "Man in the moon" or a "rabbit" or some other familiar shape. The "bear on Mars" recently shown by NARA is another example.

On 2/11/2023 at 11:41 AM, RWB said:

Pareidolia

OP, please read about this phenomenon before “seeing” (as if…) stuff on coins. It’s not a good look for anyone, least of all coin collectors. Unfortunately, it’s very common among newer collectors. Honest, it is only a MIND TRICK.

On 2/9/2023 at 11:29 PM, J. Johnson Sr said:

I searched for hours trying to find a coin with that copy and the closest I got was an old Roman coin but I don't see how that's possible to wind up with a 1000 year old bronze planchet, polished smooth, then put into circulation with a new date and copy.

This should have informed you all you need.