• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEED a proper procedure to report a user using phantom coins.
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a proper procedure for reporting a user placing "Phantom Coins" in a registry to boost their score.

A "Phantom Coin" is a coin that is not owned by the user that placed it in a NGC registry. This coin is owned by someone else that doesn't have it registered in NGC. An example is an eBay seller who is selling an NGC rated coin that shows the registration number in the picture or the registered number in the description. .

Currently there is a current user doing this and I have informed a few of the sellers and contacted NGC through there contact page with an example. The response I got from NGC was we can't police this, even though I gave enough evidence to show the individual is doing this.

I would like a more define procedure with what is needed to properly do this so we can stop individuals like this.

Edited by ChrisInJesup

• Administrator

Hello, Chris.

We appreciate your support of the NGC Registry. The NGC Registry relies upon the integrity of its collectors to only register coins that they own. As we mentioned in recent emails, it is also common for sellers to advertise/post images of coins that are similar to the ones they are selling. With over 1.6 million registered coins in the NGC Registry and over 30,000 participants, we cannot monitor the buying and selling of all coins in the marketplace.

The transfer process kicks in when someone attempts to register a coin that is already registered to another NGC Registry participant. If a person notifies us s/he owns a coin and someone else enters it into the NGC Registry, then we will remove that coin from the given account and issue a reminder. Thank you.

On 1/24/2023 at 10:18 AM, Ali E. said:

Hello, Chris.

We appreciate your support of the NGC Registry. The NGC Registry relies upon the integrity of its collectors to only register coins that they own. As we mentioned in recent emails, it is also common for sellers to advertise/post images of coins that are similar to the ones they are selling. With over 1.6 million registered coins in the NGC Registry and over 30,000 participants, we cannot monitor the buying and selling of all coins in the marketplace.

The transfer process kicks in when someone attempts to register a coin that is already registered to another NGC Registry participant. If a person notifies us s/he owns a coin and someone else enters it into the NGC Registry, then we will remove that coin from the given account and issue a reminder. Thank you.

Ali,

I do understand that, I would not have contacted you by email if I didn't have proof that the individual did NOT have possession of said coins. His Best in Category sure went up in 2022 compared to 2021.

I did contact those sellers of the coins the individual is using, they still have the coin(s) in possession and are using the numbers that are registered with that coin in their auction page.... so the individual in question is not using a stock photo. I would not have contacted you by email if I didn't have proof that the individual did NOT have possession of said coins. I also asked the sellers to get in contact with you about this individual.

I think NGC should watch this individual very closely. 

• Administrator

Hello, Chris.

We have responded to your additional emails. To avoid confusion and to protect the privacy of everyone involved, please keep any further correspondence to email. Thanks very much.