• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Question - Pocket Change Coins
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I am confused again. I have read that only uncirculated coins can receive a mint state grade designation. However, I have seen on various YouTube videos that coins in circulation that you can receive from banks or stores as pocket change can also receive a mint state grade designation of MS 60 - 70, although this is rare.

I will ask this for the last time: Can coins in circulation receive a mint state grade designation of MS 60 - 70? or is AU 58 the highest designation coins in circulation can ever receive?

On 1/15/2023 at 12:19 PM, Seamus8 said:

Can coins in circulation receive a mint state grade designation of MS 60 - 70? or is AU 58 the highest designation coins in circulation can ever receive?

Yes, but I would narrow the range to 60-68, with 68 being pretty much an impossible find. It's hard enough to find a circulating coin direct from the mint that would grade 68, let alone 69 or 70. Seventy pretty much doesn't exist for coins like this.

You have already asked this question before, not sure what answer you are looking for that you have already not gotten.   The very simple answer is yes, it is possible for a coin pulled from circulation to grade as a mint state grade.    As I previously explained, graders have no way of knowing if a coin sent for grading came from a mint roll, mint set, or your change from 7-11.    They grade the coin that is in front of them on its merits and wort's, it is no more complicated than that.

The term "uncirculated" simply means that the coin has no observable wear or "rub" consistent with having circulated, not that it hasn't been used in any commercial transactions. When a bank teller or store cashier hands you a bright, new coin from a recently opened roll or mint bag and you carefully handle and preserve it, it will still merit an "uncirculated" grade that will depend upon the number of abrasions it received during the minting and distribution process, the quality of its strike and luster, and the like.  

Because in recent years the mint has distributed coins in enormous plastic bags that contain many more thousands of coins than the old cloth bags, most of such coins, even if taken directly from the bags, probably won't grade higher than MS64.

The reason I ask is that I recently came across many coins who meet all the criteria of mint state coins, i.e., no wear, rub, or marks on the devices and fields, smooth original looking surfaces, good strike, good luster (cartwheel spokes), few, if any, contact marks, and great eye appeal and toning. I am not sure if these are circulated or uncirculated, but I now know that some of them meet the criteria of mint state.

Sandon (and others) thank you for your answer. I now know without a doubt that a coin that has been in circulation can receive a mint state designation. I promise to never ask this question or a similar question again. I got the definitive answer that I was looking for. 

On 1/15/2023 at 1:42 PM, Seamus8 said:

The reason I ask is that I recently came across many coins who meet all the criteria of mint state coins, i.e., no wear, rub, or marks on the devices and fields, smooth original looking surfaces, good strike, good luster (cartwheel spokes), few, if any, contact marks, and great eye appeal and toning. I am not sure if these are circulated or uncirculated, but I now know that some of them meet the criteria of mint state.

Sandon (and others) thank you for your answer. I now know without a doubt that a coin that has been in circulation can receive a mint state designation. I promise to never ask this question or a similar question again. I got the definitive answer that I was looking for. 

The next thing is to search the value of the MS coin you have . Most of the time it is not worth the cost to have it certified unless it is something special. 

I have gotten entire Loomis rolls of newly minted quarters where the entire roll is BU the last two that I found I kept. One WCD and one Sally Ride quarter roll. I’m sure if I wanted to, I could find a few MS coins in the lot.

On 1/15/2023 at 3:01 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I have gotten entire Loomis rolls of newly minted quarters where the entire roll is BU the last two that I found I kept. One WCD and one Sally Ride quarter roll. I’m sure if I wanted to, I could find a few MS coins in the lot.

"BU" means "Brilliant Uncirculated", which would be MS60 or better. "MS" means "Mint State", which is synonymous with "uncirculated". Therefore, if an entire roll of coins is "BU", every coin in the roll will also be "BU" and "MS".

Yes. Here is one of my 1934P Washington Business Strike Quarters. Not yet graded but..this coin will grade MS68. So a circulated coin is only as good as its condition.  Some are minted and handled after in a manner that creates coins below 69 70 so those coins don't exist. 

20220911_090049.jpg

On 1/15/2023 at 9:19 AM, Seamus8 said:

I am confused again. I have read that only uncirculated coins can receive a mint state grade designation. However, I have seen on various YouTube videos that coins in circulation that you can receive from banks or stores as pocket change can also receive a mint state grade designation of MS 60 - 70, although this is rare.

I will ask this for the last time: Can coins in circulation receive a mint state grade designation of MS 60 - 70? or is AU 58 the highest designation coins in circulation can ever receive?

Don't give up Seek and ye shall find when I roll hunt the Lord is always on my mind! He's the one who wakes me up, brings me up when times are tough, no better Luck it seem's you can be the master of your dreams. Love for the lord goes along way, just take time to pray, and what a surprise one day, don't forget to thank his holy name, and post what you found under found in change. I appreciate your post complements to the host. Have a nice day Good Luck and Happy coin roll hunting!