• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought a large collection, but then I saw this!

22 posts in this topic

I bought a large collection just this morning. I’ll go through it over the weekend. 
There was a small bag of foreign coins. I was shocked to see this Nazi coin from 1941. Is this rare? 

4094B02B-7CF8-40EE-8593-183717152991.jpeg

A3E45577-391E-4717-8C63-DF8CCE15B14E.jpeg

Those Nazi coins are pretty common. Ive seen several on Ebay looking up German coins. I dont go looking for Nazi era coins. Ive seen them when I was looking up Marks and half marks. Go to look at sellers other items. A few of the mark dealers have those too. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 1/5/2023 at 1:28 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

That avatar is pretty "Ye", @Timely.  Yikes! ???

It is part of a comic book cover that vilifies him, hence the green picked skin and the worm coming out of his ear!

On 1/5/2023 at 2:14 PM, gmarguli said:

These are very common. I've handled several unc rolls over the years. They minted millions of them. 

Had a feeling they would not be particularly rare. I have a base knowledge about US coins and almost zero on foreigns.

Looking forward to seeing what else I find. The owner got every single coin from spare change over his lifetime. He’s 66 years old. Pretty sure the coins have been put in that cigar box for the past 50 years.

Not sure what this is called, but I spotted a very small Silver US coin. It’s is a 5 cent silver piece from 1854. Pretty worn, but really cool!

On 1/6/2023 at 10:17 AM, Timely said:

Not sure what this is called, but I spotted a very small Silver US coin. It’s is a 5 cent silver piece from 1854. Pretty worn, but really cool!

You posted no photo, but a five-cent coin from 1854 is called a half dime and would have the words "HALF DIME" on the reverse.  It would also have an arrowhead on each side of the date. The obverse has a "Seated Liberty" design, and the reverse a wreath. The only other "very small" silver coin from 1854 is a silver three cent piece, which has a shield within a star on the obverse and the Roman numeral "III" within a decorated "C" on the reverse. 

A recent "Redbook" or other standard guide to U.S. coins can help you identify all of the design types and give you some idea of the values of the various dates, mints and varieties for each type. Do you have one?

On 1/6/2023 at 10:32 AM, Sandon said:

You posted no photo, but a five-cent coin from 1854 is called a half dime and would have the words "HALF DIME" on the reverse.  It would also have an arrowhead on each side of the date. The obverse has a "Seated Liberty" design, and the reverse a wreath. The only other "very small" silver coin from 1854 is a silver three cent piece, which has a shield within a star on the obverse and the Roman numeral "III" within a decorated "C" on the reverse. 

A recent "Redbook" or other standard guide to U.S. coins can help you identify all of the design types and give you some idea of the values of the various dates, mints and varieties for each type. Do you have one?

I have a red book from 1985. That was when I was collecting as a kid. I do not have a new one, but I’m sure the info is still good. 

It is a half dime btw.