• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you believe this is?

15 posts in this topic

describe what you believe this piece is and also any details about the portrait that stands out to you. Why was it made? What was it purpose? Also, what do you think is on the other side of it.

Edited by Zebo
Clarification

On 1/4/2023 at 6:27 PM, bsshog40 said:

Looks like a portrait of Ebenezer scrooge. Is the Grinch on the other side? 

Not who - what is it? How or why was it made. What characteristics does the portrait have. That sort of thing.

It does remind me of Ebenezer now that you mention it.  

I was thinking a trial strike but there looks to be too many raised areas on the surface for me. Looks like the outer periphery has lots of bubbling, perhaps something to do with producing the piece or type of material used? The effigy seems quite a bit off center as well and has some areas of both weakness and good details.

I have no idea what it is but I'll guess that there is no design on the back.

Is this from Soho?

Is it some kind of expirimenting with the alloys. Or an off metal of some kind. Looks like brass or copper but the rough surface and bubbles may have been an inproper mixture or some other metal mixed in. 

I almost said die testing earlier today. I was reading up about it trying to find out what it was. Then in my reading it said it was called die trials when they was testing the dies. I wasnt sure that was what it was though so I didnt mention it. That was fun and I learned a few things while I was searching allthe possibilities of what it could be. Thank you for sharing. 

Edited by Hoghead515