• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what coin series does not bring exceptional prices for their toned coins ??

9 posts in this topic

i see many common date morgans and modern silver eagles washington quarters roosies and modern post 1980 coins bring huge prices multiples of thier white counterparts if the coins are exceptionally toned

are there still some coin series where exceptionally toned coins are still not bringing huge premiums for the toning? and are these series sleepers ready to be awakening??

i think many older series are cheap for excpetionally toned coins and many times rarer then any of the above i mentioned

sincerely michael

Most Bust and Seated material have been cleaned at some point. When you find a truly original piece, many people turn their nose at it because it looks "dirty".

The prevalence of cleaned specimens in these series is so extreme that most collectors think that that "look" is the norm and don't know to pay a premium for an "original" specimen.

EVP

I agree with EVP on the bust stuff, the vast majority has been cleaned, but I think it's exceptionally difficult to find really attractively toned coins if using the definition used by moderned tone collectors. A Morgan, or other modern coin that never circulated tones in a completely different way than a coin with moderate circulation like most bust coins. Since the tone on many bust pieces is not the classic rainbow toned wonder, they will likely never achieve the same popularity. One area that I believe is likely a big "sleeper" in toned coins is the Barber series. I don't know why, but this series seems to be ignored perennially. There are many beautiful pieces out there is gorgeous toning that don't seem to command the premiums of other more modern series. Keep in mind though, that I am not a big fan of toning anyway, so take my comments with a grain of salt. grin.gif

I think any coin that is exceptionally toned will sell at a premium. Even foreign coins. But ordinary or negative toning is in every series.

None. I think all series have higher prices for exceptionally toned coins. Some series it is just easier to see than others. Morgans are easy to see because a $30 coin sells for $3000 with monster toning. However, a proof 20¢ that would sell for $3000 brilliant will sell for $5000 with monster toning. It's still a nice premium, but not one that is as easy to see or easy to relate to since the average collector doesn't normally price the brilliant ones.

I've been picking up toned foreign coins over the last few months and while they don't command a major premium, they still command some premium.

wow all GREAT RESPONSES AND ALL TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i also learned something form every single poster on here!

i love these boards!

guys keep up the good work

nowlets talk coins!

sincerely michael

I've never understood the ludicrous premiums for toned common date Morgans. First of all, AT is so rampant, it is often hard to distinguish, even for third party graders. Second, toning is so subjective---some do NOT see the extensive toning on Morgans to be that worthy of inflated prices. Basically, I find it hard to justify a premium for what is essentially tarnishing.