• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a suspect counterfeit date 1909 s?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2023 at 3:41 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Is this an altered date 1909s cent? Notice the straight line on the top of the s and the bubble at the end of the bottom serif!  

1909s date.JPG

I would not know from looking at a photo, It looks a little different, it looks more like the Superman S to me. here is the original one. 

http://www.varietyvista.com/01a LC Doubled Dies Vol 1/San Francisco Mintmark Styles.htm

Download Superman S Png - Logo Superman Vector Png Clipart (#5219451 ...

Edited by J P M

On 1/2/2023 at 1:56 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I compared your picture to a Great Southern coin. The S mint mark looks the same. This coin is selling for $255. I would not shy away from this one If the price is right.

18343479-6FDA-43E5-BE6B-1946E388C4E6.jpeg

07566A44-62FE-4664-9DC3-FC746CF8E4D2.jpeg

E92AFCF2-F262-4E41-975E-D06751C8E51E.jpeg

What's 26 bucks plus shipping? Thanks MR.Bill347! I thought it looked like die 4.The line over the S and the price makes me feel foolish but for 26 dollars it will look nice in the unc folder.

On 1/2/2023 at 4:30 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Yeah your right I will avoid it Thanks JPM!

I did not say it was not real pigeonman.  I would just not want to spend a big amount from only a photo. and it looks like the Superman S because it is flat on the top. Which was suppose to be a joke. 26 bucks ? that is too cheap. 

Edited by J P M

https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/counterfeit-coin-09-s-vdb/

Looks like the "S" is shaped correctly and is in one of the known 4 legit positions, and the next thing would be to check the designer's initials.  Also it would have to be verified that there was the requisite dot in the upper loop of the "S" mint mark, likely with the coin in hand

vdb_pos4.gif

1909-S Mark.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

My guess for the price and no sales yet for the seller it's Got to be fake but for 26 I will take my chances. And by the way I believe I have found a missing piece of Government Property that I am bartering on but plan to return it if I can get the right price but not likely I will keep you posted! Wish me luck because it's priced at 4000 if I can get it for four hundred plus a hundred or so of my wheat pennies would be a dream come true to return the missing artifact and I know it could be fake but I'm trying because with the guy I'm dealing with he hates fake anything so good chance it's genuine. I will post pictures if I can manage to get it.

Buying raw key dates is too risky for me.  The chances of buying a problem or fake coin are too high.  I would not buy a 1909-S VDB raw.

...and, I am sorry @Mr.Bill347, I do see differences in the mint mark between the one you posted and the OP.  I would NOT feel comfortable buying the OP coin using your coin as a reference.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Either the coin is real and the seller is completely unaware of what he/she has, which is possible.   Or the much more likely scenario is that this is an Alibaba or Ali Express fake or added mintmark, however, I would expect a seller of an added mintmark coin to ask more.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 1/3/2023 at 2:29 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

My guess for the price and no sales yet for the seller it's Got to be fake

Gee, ya think.  I didn't realize before it was listed for $26 with no prior sales by that seller ... likely on eBay.  For whatever it's worth the designer initials also seem to match.  So either it's legit and the seller has no idea what they have, it's a Chinese knock-off, or just a bait-and-switch pic.  But since the seller has zero sales it's likely a knock-off or bait pic.  What a complete waste of your money.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 1/3/2023 at 12:21 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

I wonder if I will get the exact coin the add doesn't specify.

1909 s vdb revpic.JPG

How about showing us the full slab photo.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:23 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

OP didn't indicate at first post that it was a 1909 S VDB, if that is what he was after, it surely is a fake. You can't even breath near a real one for $26. Forget about it!

My thoughts exactly! One more paperweight! I wish I would have been more clear.

On 1/3/2023 at 5:49 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

I can show you the obverse I don't think it's slabbed!

1909svdbobv.JPG

1909svdbrev.JPG

Keep in mind the image could be real and the add describes a real coin even mentions the mintage but If I receive a copy I will let that reflect in my review with picture of questionable authenticity buyer beware. 

On 1/3/2023 at 8:49 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

I don't think it's slabbed!

You can clearly see a slab gasket around the coin.  This may not be a TPG slab, but it is indeed a slabbed coin.

I would bet the family ranch that the eBay listing for that coin which appears to be a legit 1909-S VBD penny on the surface at $26 by a seller with zero sales just has a pic of a slabbed coin grabbed from somewhere on the web for the scam listing.

Edited by EagleRJO

We have had weirdos show up here while the mails is being delivered with me waiting in a chair and try to steal the mail I have taken it out of their hands and then had them try to bum bottles. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a mail scam however I am here for the mail every day I work nights only now two jobs not three much better.

On 1/3/2023 at 8:52 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Keep in mind the image could be real and the add describes a real coin even mentions the mintage but If I receive a copy I will let that reflect in my review with picture of questionable authenticity buyer beware. 

Quite likely scenario.  Where is this for sale?

On 1/5/2023 at 5:45 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Etsy

I have to say after reading this thread and now seeing the place of sale, this coin is not going to be legit in any way. I would avoid buying coins from Etsy in the future. That site is well known for selling counterfeit coins. 

On 1/5/2023 at 7:39 PM, Lem E said:

I have to say after reading this thread and now seeing the place of sale, this coin is not going to be legit in any way. I would avoid buying coins from Etsy in the future. That site is well known for selling counterfeit coins. 

I agree 100%.  I have never even looked at etsy so I just spent a little time there checking out coins.  Wow! everything is either terribly overpriced or outright fake.  Tons of key date Morgan Dollars for under $20, yep, right. Absolutely stay away from Etsy.