• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Penny (83-96) Anomolies?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I have been helping my father collate his coin collection.  As I ran through the 1983-1996 pennies, I found a vein of coins that seem to have similar "anomalies" with varying degrees of clarity.  I am generally skeptical of my detection skills with errors, but these anomalies stood to me so i scanned a few.  I have a few different toys to confuse me: cheesy digital microscope, 30/45/60/90x loupes and I scanned the image at 4800dpi and rendered a 9mb file, shrunk down to 2mb, I hope everything is still visible.  I would like to know what to make of this coin, every aspect seems to have possibility.  Unfortunately, I am like a kid in a candy store, I see all kinds of stuff so I need help reigning in my ambition. 

Obverse: Date & MM. . what is the silver outlining the date and mint mark and why does it seem so dramatically wide?  LIBERTY. . what are the silver lines to the immediate left of each letter?  Immediately above the crown of Lincoln's head is an outline, is that doubling?  IGWT. . what is the ridgeline just above the letters that span I through T. 

Reverse: USA. . Above almost every letter, there is metallic/silver line that seems to me to have a doubling effect.  The building is virtually encased in the same metallic/silver lining.  E-Pluribus has a doubling effect.  "One Cent" also has the silver lining.

I have searched over 5,000 pennies and have not seen these anomolies. . . LOL 5K is probably a small number for most on this site.  I hope I got more than just funky outlines, but any help with understanding will be greatly appreciated.  If I missed something on the coin, please point it out.  I hope I have described the coin well enough to understand what I am looking for.  Thanks in advance. 

x.90d-1o.jpg

x.90d-1r.jpg

Welcome to the forum.  All of the anomalies you mention are from split plating.  The thin copper plating splits when the coin is struck exposing the zinc core.  This is not considered an error, just the result of the use of copper coated zinc for coinage.

All the coins mentioned are common and have no collector value at all.

5,000 cents is just one little $50 bag. When the search gets to 5,000 bags, then you might have something to discuss.

Welcome to the forum.

Have you noticed that all of the doubling and separating of the clad layer is on the side of the devices/letters/numerals that is away from the center of the coin? That is typical of die erosion doubling and split-plating doubling.