• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 WASHINGTON QUARTER ERROR

10 posts in this topic

I came across this 1983 D (I think 🤔) Washington quarter today. I don't want to jump the gun, but I believe it's at least worth a look from a professional. I collect LMC's, and know a little about error coins.This coin has a lot going on.  Please take a look and and tell me what you think. 

IMG_20221229_122206577.jpg

IMG_20221229_122148456.jpg

• Administrator

Hello! Unfortunately, it would be extremely difficult to tell you if this was an error from photos alone and we would need the coin submitted for grading before we can advise on the coin. We are sorry that we cannot be of further assistance to you at this time. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

As it appears that NGC doesn't presently have anyone who is giving guidance on questions of this sort, they should be posted under the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum or the "U.S., World and Ancient Coins" forum.

While I can't be sure, I think that your coin was intentionally altered outside of the mint by someone sandwiching it between other coins or other metal objects with lettering on them and squeezing it in a vice.  Notice how the lettering on each side is incuse and doesn't match that on a Washington quarter from 1983. The lettering on the obverse may be from a 1999 or later State or National Parks quarter.  A multiple strike, even from different dies, would have the lettering raised. It also doesn't resemble a "brockage" where a struck coin adhered to one of the dies and then struck other planchets either, as such a coin wouldn't show any of the design for the side to which the struck coin had adhered to the die.

Rather than immediately spending grading ($23 or more), error designation ($18), processing ($10) and shipping and insurance fees to have NGC render an opinion, I recommend showing the coin to collectors and dealers who are familiar with errors at coin clubs and shows. You might also try to see if you can find an error variety into which it fits at a site such as error-ref.com.

That is 100% damage. There is no way that could happen during the striking of the coin.

Surprised there is even any doubt. You certainly don't need to see the coin to know it is not an error.

Worth 25 cents if you can get someone to accept it.

On 1/3/2023 at 12:23 PM, Greenstang said:

That is 100% damage. There is no way that could happen during the striking of the coin.

Surprised there is even any doubt. You certainly don't need to see the coin to know it is not an error.

Worth 25 cents if you can get someone to accept it.

^ This!

Welcome Lansdell,  Although there are coins to be found that are true error coins. It is very rare to find them. The quarter you posted is what we call PMD Post Mint Damage. Someone has tried to make it look like something it is not. Sorry to say

Damage or perhaps intentional mayhem. Not an error. Almost none of what people think are errors, actually are. And that includes most YouRube video makers.