• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 P - Anna May Wong Quarter Teardrop error?

22 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2022 at 6:20 PM, Sandon said:

What you see as a "teardrop" is a scrape, likely from a coin counting or roll wrapping machine.  Sorry.

@SandonI don't think the mark below the eye is coin wrapper machine damage, which is more circular and close to the edges.  Attached are examples of wrapper damage on some quarters, and the following is a link with further info ... 

https://www.coincommunity.com/errors/wrapping-machine-damage.asp

I agree with others that it looks like simple damage, perhaps just a contact mark.  Interesting damage though as it does look a little like tears.

Damage - Coin Wrapper Damage 25C rEV (2).jpg

Damage - Coin Wrapper Damage 25C rEV.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/28/2022 at 3:50 AM, Mrph12 said:

What happened here Error or Something Else?

NO 2.jpg

NO1.jpg

I like the design of this coin. Thanks for sharing your coin with us. I would love to gather more information on your coin. By the way, do you face problems writing your essay assignments and you are tired of getting low marks? If yes, then I would like to help you by sharing https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/gratitude/ website link with you where you will find all the help you need.

I like the design of this coin.

Edited by Samuel Ramos

On 1/14/2023 at 4:56 AM, Samuel Ramos said:

I like this coin.

Hopefully, you mean you like the design.   If you like coins that have been damaged by being scraped, that is good only in the sense that you should be able to find a lot of them!  However, it's exactly the opposite of what a serious, knowledgeable collector would want.

On 12/27/2022 at 4:20 PM, Mrph12 said:

NO 2.jpg

NO1.jpg

When your collecting activities have matured to the point where the VERY LAST possibility you consider is a mint error, you will be approaching wisdom. Never before in the history of the coin hobby have so many wasted so much time in the search for so little. 

Edited by VKurtB

Due to the location it looks to me like it was intentionally damaged to give the appearance of a tear drop. If it was unintentional then it just so happened in the right place. Looks like someone was just playing around. Either way its damage. Nothing worth saving. 

On 1/14/2023 at 4:05 PM, VKurtB said:

Hey! They should make a circulating half dollar honoring Harry Dexter White, U.S. negotiator at Bretton Woods. Then, … (wait for it), … two Wongs would make a White. 

That is just Wong. (tsk)

On 1/14/2023 at 5:01 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Due to the location it looks to me like it was intentionally damaged to give the appearance of a tear drop.

Anna doesn't look that happy so you might be right that someone added a scrape mark to look like tears.

Talking about that, I don't think it really fits to have a sad face on our currency.  Has the mint become so woke that they really think it fits.

On 1/17/2023 at 12:51 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

What happened there is this coin became worth .25 c where as if it did not have that huge rub on it as well as the other contact marks it may have been worth a bit more.

What would it have been worth without the marks?

On 1/17/2023 at 9:53 AM, EagleRJO said:

What would it have been worth without the marks?

Whatever you can get someone to pay I guess..lol

On 1/17/2023 at 1:12 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

An MS quality Anna May wong Quarter could be worth as much as .56 c  to $1.14 or more. :news: 

Yes, but …, to whom precisely? Finding that person - that’s the trick, isn’t it? Especially since they’re still available by the roll, at face, if you find the right bank. 

On 12/27/2022 at 4:20 PM, Mrph12 said:

NO 2.jpg

NO1.jpg

I was just looking up my quarter with this exact same marking! It looks like a tear. Just exactly like this. So definitely just 1, there are at least 2 like this.

@Qtpye418--Welcome to the NGC chat board.  As pointed out in this thread, the "tear" is simply a scrape, to which this area would be vulnerable as one of the highest points on the coin. It's just damage, the opposite of what a coin collector would find desirable. I'm sure there are many more. You should try to find them without such imperfections.