• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early identification of a popular Morgan dollar variety

20 posts in this topic

Almost 3 years ago I posted the following letter which demonstrated that one of the most popular Morgan dollar die varieties was first identified in 1891 during the US Mint's normal "special assay" tests.

Image1.jpg.fde8b4fb7494d1ded40ccbcc44658893.jpg

Recently, I located a second letter about this coin which provides more detail. This is from Mint Director Leech to the Superintendent of New Orleans Mint. In it, the Director does not mince words about his displeasure, calling it "a gross piece of negligence" among other things. Following is a transcription from the fair copy found at RG104 E-235 Vol 62:

September 26, 1891
Sir:
Enclosed herewith I return two silver dollars, sent to this bureau for special assay test, from delivery No. 188. Your attention is directed to the fact that upon the reverse of these coins, near the loop in the wreath, the letter “E” is plainly visible, and on one of them part of the letter “B” and the letter “R.” It is evident that the dies have been permitted to come in contact in the press without an intervening blank, as the letter “E” has been transferred to the die from the “E” in the word “Liberty” on the fillet on the head of the obverse side.
     You will also notice that the coins are fractured, which will be explained by the contract of the die faces.
     This defect runs through the deliveries in the latter part of August up to and including the deliveries of September 5th. Evidently all the coins struck with this pair of dies contain the letter “E.”
     It is hardly necessary for me to say to you that this is a gross piece of negligence.
     It is of the first importance that the coinage of the United States should be free from defects of all kinds. This will call for criticism and will be commented upon unfavorably.
     In this connection I would say that there have been repeated complaints to the Bureau and to the Treasurer’s office in regard to the edges of the dimes being struck at your Mint.
     I have exhibited these coins to the Secretary to let him see the character of the work now being turned out from the coining department of your Mint.
     I will thank you to make a thorough examination in regard to this matter and report to this bureau in writing how it was that the imperfection upon the dollars was not discovered, and who is to blame. These two pieces will be returned to this bureau with your report.
     I will also thank you to report to me whether the Coiner of the Mint gives that personal attention to the supervision of the business of his department which is required by Section 1, Article 29 of the regulations.

Edited by RWB

On 12/15/2022 at 3:33 PM, RWB said:

It is of the first importance that the coinage of the United States should be free from defects of all kinds

Oops! Well there goes error and variety collecting!

I guess sparing people’s feeeeelings was not so important in government service then. We’ve regressed. 

Perhaps this is the first recorded mention by mint personnel of what collectors refer to as "clash marks". This variety is catalogued today as 1891-O VAM 1A, a "Top 100" variety, which also has four die states.  A weaker 1891-O "E" clash is catalogued as VAM 3A, a "Hot 50" variety.

Fascinating....all this attention by Morgan afficionados, I get it.  There isn't the same focus on other coins like Saints, but it's why I study and read alot about the background on the coins since the number of varieties itself doesn't match up with Morgans or other coins.

Niche specialization and focus are always of interest to the human mind.  The unique is of interest. (thumbsu

On 12/15/2022 at 11:35 PM, Sandon said:

Perhaps this is the first recorded mention by mint personnel of what collectors refer to as "clash marks". This variety is catalogued today as 1891-O VAM 1A, a "Top 100" variety, which also has four die states.  A weaker 1891-O "E" clash is catalogued as VAM 3A, a "Hot 50" variety.

...collectors had noticed it long before, especially in earlier copper issues n definitely in the liberty seated series, but interesting that the "mint personnel" took such umbrage in the clashing of dies n the causation of the same...perhaps there was an axe to grind n the issue provided an opportunity for the grinding to begin....

There are enough surviving Morgan and Peace dollars to make them affordable and provide a wide base of die varieties. Gold coins and most 19th century pieces have high attrition rates so there are not enough of clear, interesting varieties to satisfy the interests of potential collectors. Large coppers and half cents were once in the same availability category as silver dollars, which made their collection by die variety feasible in the 19th century.

On 12/15/2022 at 11:35 PM, Sandon said:

If the director's comments about deliveries is taken literally, is it possible that 1891-) VAM 1A and 3A are the same thing? (I realize that VAMs are not consistently die pairs or different varieties.)

On 12/15/2022 at 6:25 PM, VKurtB said:

Why were they so removed from each other?

The two New Orleans silver dollars were specimens pulled from delivery #188. This was called the "Special Assay" and was required for the initial deliveries of each denomination for each week. Coins were not supposed to be released from a mint until Special Assay results were approved by the Assayer at Mint HQ in Washington, D.C. Here's a sample of a report.

1871874952_Pagesfrom18810218PSpecialAssaycoinreportNovember1880.thumb.jpg.4d5f91f653c89c9fc5b8115c65bd0caf.jpg

In October 1881 a large quantity of Carson Mint dollars were found to be out of tolerance. Those not already paid out were sequestered. However, because some had already been released, the affected deliveries could not be condemned. (Condemnation would have caused removal of the affected coins from the Annual Assay Commission coins.) When 1880 coins were tested in Feb 1881 by the Annual Assay Commission, more out of tolerance 1880-CC dollars were found and the problem reported direct to the President. After months of explanations and fussing, the sequestered coins were melted and replaced with dollars dated 1882. Neither the 1880 nor 1882 mintage figures were corrected. There's an article about this on the VAMWorld site --someplace.

Edited by RWB

On 12/16/2022 at 10:58 AM, RWB said:

There are enough surviving Morgan and Peace dollars to make them affordable and provide a wide base of die varieties. Gold coins and most 19th century pieces have high attrition rates so there are not enough of clear, interesting varieties to satisfy the interests of potential collectors. Large coppers and half cents were once in the same availability category as silver dollars, which made their collection by die variety feasible in the 19th century.

There are other coins that have large numbers of survivors (i.e., Saints, Franklins, Liberty Walkers and Standings, etc.)....die varieties don't seem to have taken off for other coins.  I think your DE book is the only book or article that mentioned die varieties for Saints.

Nothing as detailed or voluminous as the VAM designations for any other coins.

On 12/16/2022 at 11:02 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

There are other coins that have large numbers of survivors (i.e., Saints, Franklins, Liberty Walkers and Standings, etc.)....die varieties don't seem to have taken off for other coins.  I think your DE book is the only book or article that mentioned die varieties for Saints.

Nothing as detailed or voluminous as the VAM designations for any other coins.

Do you have a theory as to why that is? I do. When did the idea of VAM’s begin? I believe VAM’s were a cynical ploy to make otherwise uninteresting coins laying around by the millions that nobody wanted, “artificially” interesting. 

Edited by VKurtB

Gold has been, at least historically, too expensive, plus a large proportion were melted during export - that produced large gaps. By the time we get to later WL and Franklin halves, most varieties are too tiny to hold interest (except for doubled dies). Standing Liberty quarters are numerous only in worn condition which makes identification of even the few known varieties difficult.

I thought the DE book might attract more people to gold varieties, and I think that has happened to a limited degree. The same might be true for S-G Eagles, but HE and QE have yet to get enough interest to justify the work.

On 12/16/2022 at 12:37 PM, VKurtB said:

Do you have a theory as to why that is? I do. When did the idea of VAM’s begin? I believe VAM’s were a cynical ploy to make otherwise uninteresting coins laying around by the millions that nobody wanted, “artificially” interesting. 

I just assumed it might be related to the fact that MSDs are the #1 or among the top collected coins by Americans.

On 12/17/2022 at 10:41 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I just assumed it might be related to the fact that MSDs are the #1 or among the top collected coins by Americans.

It seems that actually ASE’s are, if the grading firms’ stats are to be believed. Lincoln cents are clearly in the top 3. I doubt Saints are even in the top 10. MSD’s are undeniably #1 in one thing - no other series is hyped more. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/17/2022 at 11:41 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I believe VAM’s were a cynical ploy to make otherwise uninteresting coins laying around by the millions that nobody wanted, “artificially” interesting. 

Dollar varieties had been identified by collectors for many years. There are occasional articles in hobby publications. Seven and eight tail feather coins were identified in 1878.  Van Allen and Mallis, took things further (following examples such as Crosby, Sheldon, etc.) and compiled both background and detailed listings of individual varieties. Some varieties have become popular and bring significant premiums. But most are barely distinguishable and not very interesting to any but hard-core aficionados. As authors of initial research or variety book often do, they used their initials "VAM" to differentiate their varieties from those identified by others.

"VAM" varieties caught on among Morgan and Peace dollar collectors because the coins were cheap, widely distributed, and readily available over a long span of time.

The "system" itself, is something of a cobbled mess with pieces added and removed almost ad hoc.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:46 PM, RWB said:

Dollar varieties had been identified by collectors for many years. There are occasional articles in hobby publications. Seven and eight tail feather coins were identified in 1878.  Van Allen and Mallis, took things further (following examples such as Crosby, Sheldon, etc.) and compiled both background and detailed listings of individual varieties. Some varieties have become popular and bring significant premiums. But most are barely distinguishable and not very interesting to any but hard-core aficionados. As authors of initial research or variety book often do, they used their initials "VAM" to differentiate their varieties from those identified by others. "VAM" varieties caught on among Morgan and Peace dollar collectors because the coins were cheap, widely distributed, and readily available over a long span of time. The "system" itself, is something of a cobbled mess with pieces added and removed almost ad hoc.

If the Morgan afficianados like it, who am I to tell them it's a waste or not worth it ? xD But some of the varieties do tend to deal in minutae.

But hey...anything that keeps interest in the hobby I'm all for it.  (thumbsu

On 12/17/2022 at 4:09 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If the Morgan afficianados like it, who am I to tell them it's a waste or not worth it ? xD But some of the varieties do tend to deal in minutae.

But hey...anything that keeps interest in the hobby I'm all for it.  (thumbsu

The minutiae is a major problem in attracting new variety collectors, at least in my opinion. The various lists are personal favorites of the list compilers, and not aimed at potential new collectors. Also, obvious die varieties caused by clashing are not consistently recognized. I'd like to see them gain more followers and accept new ideas; maybe that will happen now that control has passed from Mr. Van Allen to several members.

On 12/17/2022 at 1:46 PM, RWB said:

VAM" varieties caught on among Morgan and Peace dollar collectors because the coins were cheap, widely distributed, and readily available over a long span of time.

Yes, and this is precisely the very same phenomenon I am describing when I said:

”I believe VAM’s were a cynical ploy to make otherwise uninteresting coins laying around by the millions that nobody wanted, “artificially” interesting.”

Go to ANY major show, grab a sight line down any row of tables and there are literally enough slabbed Morgan’s to walk on to the back wall and back without ever needing to touch the floor. If that’s not horrible oversupply in search of a rescuing gimmick, I don’t know what is. Along come Mssrs. Van Allen and Mallis. Voila! Gimmick. Congratulations to them. To everyone else: You been took. There’re STILL too many BU Morgans out there. 

Yes. I am well aware many people don’t want to hear that. I’m not in the business of “want to hear”. I never have been in my entire life. I never needed to butter anyone up - from 18 to 65. It was never a job requirement. I have always been the “need to hear” type. I’m not going to abandon it now. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/17/2022 at 6:21 PM, RWB said:

The minutiae is a major problem in attracting new variety collectors, at least in my opinion. The various lists are personal favorites of the list compilers, and not aimed at potential new collectors. Also, obvious die varieties caused by clashing are not consistently recognized. I'd like to see them gain more followers and accept new ideas; maybe that will happen now that control has passed from Mr. Van Allen to several members.

Too much that IS a VAM shouldn’t be, and a fair number that aren’t but should be. Kinda like cameos and PL’s that way.