• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Complain for NGC grading

4 posts in this topic

Dear Sir/Madame

Let me share with you for idea. I ever been sent coins to grade with your company for several time but I felt your grading’s not consistent. Sometime the condition of coins was not clear a little bit dirty but received champion grade. Some coin was very clear and pretty coin but received low or middle grade. So I would like to know. Do you have standard for grading by computer or by human. If you conclusion by computer I understand for standard if you use experienced by humans. How to confident about bias temper of human for deciding of grade?

56B6DD8E-15AF-462F-B186-2C51EF924C3F.jpeg

If I understand your post correctly, you are asking (1) whether NGC uses computers to grade coins and (2) why grades of NGC graded coins appear to be inconsistent to you. (I'm a collector, not an employee of NGC.)

1. No, computers are not used to grade coins.  Some years ago, PCGS spent a great deal of money trying to develop a computerized grading system. It was a failure. The answer to your second question explains why. 

2. The grading of coins is inherently subjective and dependent on a number of factors whose evaluation varies with personal taste.  For uncirculated or unworn proof coins, factors include surface preservation (the number, severity and location of marks, abrasions, and light scratches), the fullness of strike, the nature and quality of luster, the presence or absence of "toning" and whether it is considered to be attractive or unattractive, and the coin's overall "eye appeal". For this reason, I have always regarded the use of numbers to grade coins to be wrong, as it implies that an objective or scientific process is involved.  A grade assigned by a grading service is simply the consensus of several experienced graders employed by the grading service who have examined the coin under low magnification. The coin that you regarded as "dirty" may have been regarded by the graders as attractively "toned" or as simply "original" for the grade it received. 

Ultimately, your collecting should be driven by your own educated evaluation of a coin, not by the number on a little paper tag.

On 12/17/2022 at 8:06 PM, Sandon said:

Ultimately, your collecting should be driven by your own educated evaluation of a coin, not by the number on a little paper tag.

But but but that takes WORK!

Funny my pretty coin came back Ch XF compared to a "ugly" coin coming back as AU...

Pretty coin had been brushed or cleaned. Ol' Tiberius never looked so shiny!

Ugly coin, which imho isn't ugly at all,  had proper patina, toning, 5/5 strike and very minor, if any, typical usage blemish in the proper places. 

Grades are based on the strike and many things happen in between. What might look pretty could be an acid bath, wire brushed buffed and spit shined Frankencoin while the gracefully aged grime fest turns out to be a MS diamond itr...

I think right?