• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peg leg 71 Kennedy half
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Hello to all

I picked up the wrong coin while searching for a Ike peg leg variety error, this 71 shows what looks like a peg like also. Just like a Captain Jack peg leg. It has a stain on it. I don’t want to mess around with trying to clean it. I have check many other 71 and other years for this but couldn’t find anything that comes close. Any thoughts 0C9C02BC-26C4-46A1-99E2-2C0C94F6073A.thumb.jpeg.006098133dde4b96f9f3922ee7c97082.jpegDAEC79A6-A7C3-462B-8107-A4D9B3FE8D77.thumb.jpeg.b08311f67e4f9aef97b012b2421a56c4.jpeg045CAAA6-A064-44ED-BD26-75934D1193EA.thumb.jpeg.5ffd3e8802e773d7c6a9fd7fede7ab1c.jpeg

On 12/12/2022 at 9:20 AM, Posso said:

Hello to all

I picked up the wrong coin while searching for a Ike peg leg variety error, this 71 shows what looks like a peg like also. Just like a Captain Jack peg leg. It has a stain on it. I don’t want to mess around with trying to clean it. I have check many other 71 and other years for this but couldn’t find anything that comes close. Any thoughts 0C9C02BC-26C4-46A1-99E2-2C0C94F6073A.thumb.jpeg.006098133dde4b96f9f3922ee7c97082.jpegDAEC79A6-A7C3-462B-8107-A4D9B3FE8D77.thumb.jpeg.b08311f67e4f9aef97b012b2421a56c4.jpeg045CAAA6-A064-44ED-BD26-75934D1193EA.thumb.jpeg.5ffd3e8802e773d7c6a9fd7fede7ab1c.jpeg

What, No takers?

Well I don't think any of the Half's show any leg on the R with all that hair in the way. The coin you posted has seen better days, lots of PMD to look at ;) LoL

On 12/12/2022 at 9:51 AM, JKK said:

Twenty-two minutes and you're impatient already? Great look.

Usually you guys are all over it. I forgot I guess there was a server issue. I had to reset my account. 

On 12/12/2022 at 9:52 AM, J P M said:

Well I don't think any of the Half's show any leg on the R with all that hair in the way. The coin you posted has seen better days, lots of PMD to look at ;) LoL

What’s the sense of this site to show uncirculated spectacular coins of the rarest variety. Your thoughts on the R peg is all I asked. It obviously has PMD.

On 12/12/2022 at 10:07 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

No Peg Leg "R" Obv varieties for Kennedy's, just Ike's. 

This coin looks like it was punched like that. There’s  no hits near the R leg other than the small scratch on the r.

On 12/12/2022 at 12:08 PM, Posso said:

What’s the sense of this site to show uncirculated spectacular coins of the rarest variety. Your thoughts on the R peg is all I asked. It obviously has PMD.

Well we try to help when we can? and you did say it also had some stains and that is also PMD.  (shrug)

On 12/12/2022 at 10:29 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It probably was, from what I've seen plenty of Kennedy halves have a similarly shaped "R". 

The 80 Kennedy’s that I have don’t have an R with pronounced peg leg. They all kind of blend into the hair with no point. I don’t know. It’s just caught my eye as odd. Thank you

The bottoms of the "E" and "R" are weak and blend into Kennedy's hair on most of the 1970s Kennedy half dollars I checked after reading this.  Yours may also have been struck from a somewhat overpolished or worn die on which the area of the "R" and Kennedy's hair beneath it were weakened, which are common occurrences.  The mint periodically replaces the master die from which "hubs" and then working dies are prepared, and this area was stronger on half dollars of the 1980s.

The "Peg Leg R" Eisenhower dollar variety is found on a 1971-S silver clad coin that the mint sold to collectors for a premium.  It was not issued for circulation and would almost certainly not be found among copper-nickel clad (red rimmed) "Ike" dollars that you might have obtained from circulation.

@Posso--I've tried to impress upon you the importance of "book learning"--some of which can now be done online--and experience in gaining an understanding of what sorts of coins are considered interesting or valuable by most serious collectors. You've stated that you don't yet even have a standard "Redbook", yet you believe that you can frequently find all sorts of significant errors and varieties in pocket change. Please study or at least refer to some of the resources to which I and others have directed you before claiming to have made some great find.  

On 12/12/2022 at 12:37 PM, Posso said:

The 80 Kennedy’s that I have don’t have an R with pronounced peg leg. They all kind of blend into the hair with no point. I don’t know. It’s just caught my eye as odd. Thank you

I was looking at other '71 halves, sorry, I should have been clearer on that point. Almost all had some degree of weakness in the "R", most were similar to your coin. 

Attached is an example of a "peg leg" 1971 Ike.  Notice how short and stubby the leg of the 'R" is compared to a regular Ike, and hence the name "peg leg".

Also attached is a comparison of the "R" on your Kennedy vs the "R" on a Peg Leg Ike so the difference is more apparent.

1971-S Ike Half Dollar Peg Leg.jpg

1071 Kennedyr.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/12/2022 at 12:58 PM, EagleRJO said:
On 12/12/2022 at 12:58 PM, EagleRJO said:

Attached is an example of a "peg leg" 1971 Ike.  Notice how short and stubby the leg of the 'R" is compared to a regular Ike, and hence the name "peg leg".

Also attached is a comparison of the "R" on your Kennedy vs the "R" on a Peg Leg Ike so the difference is more apparent.

1971-S Ike Half Dollar Peg Leg.jpg

1071 Kennedyr.jpg

On 12/12/2022 at 11:24 AM, Sandon said:

The bottoms of the "E" and "R" are weak and blend into Kennedy's hair on most of the 1970s Kennedy half dollars I checked after reading this.  Yours may also have been struck from a somewhat overpolished or worn die on which the area of the "R" and Kennedy's hair beneath it were weakened, which are common occurrences.  The mint periodically replaces the master die from which "hubs" and then working dies are prepared, and this area was stronger on half dollars of the 1980s.

The "Peg Leg R" Eisenhower dollar variety is found on a 1971-S silver clad coin that the mint sold to collectors for a premium.  It was not issued for circulation and would almost certainly not be found among copper-nickel clad (red rimmed) "Ike" dollars that you might have obtained from circulation.

@Posso--I've tried to impress upon you the importance of "book learning"--some of which can now be done online--and experience in gaining an understanding of what sorts of coins are considered interesting or valuable by most serious collectors. You've stated that you don't yet even have a standard "Redbook", yet you believe that you can frequently find all sorts of significant errors and varieties in pocket change. Please study or at least refer to some of the resources to which I and others have directed you before claiming to have made some great find.  

Hello Sandon, sorry for the delay. I have thought about the die also, it would need to be a really warn die to create that thin leg. Also you mentioned the that the Ike peg was only in 71 struck on 40 40% planchette for collectors only, and certainly not on a business strike. I have a 74 clad that’s the exact match for the 71 peg. I also read somewhere that there are other attributes for confirmation of a true peg leg. Those attributes are weak or no serifs the E and bottom of I. Any thoughts, I looked for and couldn’t find anything about the 74 peg leg, other than the 71. See phot3AE97FD1-627B-437B-8B67-2BE58816596C.thumb.jpeg.f159995f090a5d62532f4e76351e33be.jpeg03000CF6-8B90-48FD-8037-C1B143DA61D3.thumb.jpeg.8427fee11446850cf0cd8cbb49142b18.jpegos 

On 12/12/2022 at 11:46 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I was looking at other '71 halves, sorry, I should have been clearer on that point. Almost all had some degree of weakness in the "R", most were similar to your coin. 

On 12/12/2022 at 11:24 AM, Sandon said:

Hello Sandon, sorry for the delay. I have thought about the die also, it would need to be a really warn die to create that thin leg. Also you mentioned the that the Ike peg was only in 71 struck on 40 40% planchette for collectors only, and certainly not on a business strike. I have a 74 clad that’s the exact match for the 71 peg. I also read somewhere that there are other attributes for confirmation of a true peg leg. Those attributes are weak or no serifs the E and bottom of I. Anythoughts, I looked for and couldn’t find anythingabout the 74 peg leg, other than the 71. See photo6016D489-8C46-41F0-8EE6-43262974D080.thumb.jpeg.1ed258278eb3ffa03fa9d54c62dba520.jpegEEB78A00-86F6-4CDF-861E-5C63CEA165F3.thumb.jpeg.275f032dae87f528c0b5d87ec903a332.jpeg

On 12/12/2022 at 11:46 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Thanks for the response, sorry for the delay, but the server must be messed up or something, maybe it’s my phone but my replies are being posted in other places. 

@Possoif you check the PCGS attributed 71 Peg Leg Ike I posted above it has an "R" that has a slightly shorter and rounded end of the leg.  The 74 Ikes you posted have an "R" with a slightly longer and pointed end of the leg.

On 12/13/2022 at 4:11 PM, EagleRJO said:

@Possoif you check the PCGS attributed 71 Peg Leg Ike I posted above it has an "R" that has a slightly shorter and rounded end of the leg.  The 74 Ikes you posted have an "R" with a slightly longer and pointed end of the leg.

I see that, it’s hard for me to zoom in that one you posted. I Will check it out online. Thank you 

Last year's Deluxe or "Mega Red" edition of the Redbook (7th ed. 2021) contained special sections on silver and modern dollars and devoted 38 pages (pp. 799-837) to Eisenhower dollars. It includes a number of lesser-known varieties that aren't listed in standard guides and don't have established market values.  These include Peg Leg varieties for the 1971-D, 74-D, 76-D Variety 2 and 78-D (no photos). (The "peg legs" are most likely the result of dies that were heavily polished during their preparation, not worn.) There is also the website of the "Ike Group", www.ikegroup.info, which I understand has comprehensive research about the series. (Users have to agree to various terms and conditions before accessing the information on the site.)

It is important to note that there were numerous changes made to the design details of the Eisenhower dollar in 1971-72, for a total of four different obverse types and five different reverse types. The 1972 (Philadelphia), for example, used three different reverse types, one of which, the "Variety 2" or "Reverse D", is worth a premium in standard guides.  Some of these changes affected the shapes and thicknesses of letters and are to be distinguished from a peculiarity of a particular die such as a "peg leg".

I reiterate that it's essential to have basic references such as the standard "Redbook" and a grading guide and to acquire basic knowledge of coins before getting into more advanced or esoteric areas like spotting minor or new varieties or errors on a particular series. It would be like a child trying to take high school courses without attending grade school!

On 12/13/2022 at 6:49 PM, Sandon said:

Last year's Deluxe or "Mega Red" edition of the Redbook (7th ed. 2021) contained special sections on silver and modern dollars and devoted 38 pages (pp. 799-837) to Eisenhower dollars. It includes a number of lesser-known varieties that aren't listed in standard guides and don't have established market values.  These include Peg Leg varieties for the 1971-D, 74-D, 76-D Variety 2 and 78-D (no photos). (The "peg legs" are most likely the result of dies that were heavily polished during their preparation, not worn.) There is also the website of the "Ike Group", www.ikegroup.info, which I understand has comprehensive research about the series. (Users have to agree to various terms and conditions before accessing the information on the site.)

It is important to note that there were numerous changes made to the design details of the Eisenhower dollar in 1971-72, for a total of four different obverse types and five different reverse types. The 1972 (Philadelphia), for example, used three different reverse types, one of which, the "Variety 2" or "Reverse D", is worth a premium in standard guides.  Some of these changes affected the shapes and thicknesses of letters and are to be distinguished from a peculiarity of a particular die such as a "peg leg".

I reiterate that it's essential to have basic references such as the standard "Redbook" and a grading guide and to acquire basic knowledge of coins before getting into more advanced or esoteric areas like spotting minor or new varieties or errors on a particular series. It would be like a child trying to take high school courses without attending grade school!

After I posted yesterday. Something told me to go to eBay. There was a 74 posted in worse condition than mine. Sorry to have you run through everything for me, but I am educating myself more and more everyday. Thanks for the push. Thanks again.

On 12/14/2022 at 4:25 PM, Posso said:

After I posted yesterday. Something told me to go to eBay. There was a 74 posted in worse condition than mine. Sorry to have you run through everything for me, but I am educating myself more and more everyday. Thanks for the push. Thanks again.

eBay is one of the worst places to go for information, except for the sold listings info.

On 12/14/2022 at 2:44 PM, EagleRJO said:

eBay is one of the worst places to go for information, except for the sold listings info.

Yep I know I rarely use eBay. I just wanted to see if another 64 peg leg was listed. eBay to me is like a box of chocolates. LOL

On 12/14/2022 at 6:56 PM, Posso said:

Yep I know I rarely use eBay. I just wanted to see if another 64 peg leg was listed. eBay to me is like a box of chocolates. LOL

It may or may not have been a "peg leg" unless it was slabbed.  There are all kinds of eBay listings that are incorrect or misleading, including peg legs, varieties, errors, and doubling claimed to be hub doubling that is common machine doubling that is worthless.