• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calculators not very useful - Mint HQ 1892

8 posts in this topic

On 12/4/2022 at 2:56 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Very cool. You got me wanting to research those machines now. 

...maybe u could start a collection of them?...sounds like there could be several around in AU condition....

On 12/4/2022 at 5:29 PM, zadok said:

...maybe u could start a collection of them?...sounds like there could be several around in AU condition....

I looked on Google. I never knew there were so many different kinds out there. Theres a very neat video of someone showing how an Arithmometer from the 1820s worked. Heres my favorite from 2000 BC. lolLumii_20221204_180638169.thumb.jpg.7c29bfa3b393793f31fc0dedc5d1564f.jpg

In Jr. High, we had a month-long class in using the Japanese soroban (算盤, そろばん, counting tray). A couple of kids got so good with it that they used it in business classes instead of regular mechanical calculators. The Business teacher did not like this -- no paper tape -- but the kids got the right answers!

On 12/4/2022 at 2:42 PM, RWB said:

On another thread someone posted a photo of a late 19th century calculating machine. Here's what the Mint Director had to say in March 1892.

Superintendent,

U.S. Mint

Philadelphia, Pa

March 22, 1892

Sir:

Replying to you communication of the 18th inst., asking authority to purchase a computing machine, I would say that we have had two or three of these machines in this Bureau at various times and never found them of any great value. I don’t think one is needed in your institution, and authority for its purchase is therefore withheld.

Very respectfully,

E. O Leech, Director

[RG104 Entry-235 Vol 64 p129-130]

To those who believe I am incapable of expressing my thoughts succinctly, I present a translation of the Director's letter above to the Superintendent of Philly's mint:  "Request Denied." :roflmao:

Sounds like Mint personnel had not yet gotten over being transitioned to the “junk modern coins”, those designed by that Barber fellow. 

The people hired as "Calculators" at Treasury/Mint and other Bureaus were expert at calculating long columns and sequences of numbers --- I don't know if they could do anything else or if they were true "savants."