• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

!982 P copper small date and 1982 copper cents in General is it just a fad or is the ABP Going up? Is it time to break out the rolls?
1 1

43 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2022 at 6:50 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

they have ana certificates

What does that even mean??? The ANA does not certify dealers. Dealers can be members, but so what? I’m a 20-year member too. 
image.thumb.jpg.95db0bb967d1da462f4c1c74a6179a68.jpg

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/5/2022 at 7:50 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

They try to make deals like 100 dollars now on a coin you paid 75 dollars for and 75 when they sell it of course they would never pay you the 75 dollars they would just deny they ever bought the coin from you I know because I asked for 200 store credit and he said we don't do that. Such jive!

"Store credit"?

I've heard some dealers purportedly agree to buy back coins they sell at "strong" prices (higher than other dealers will pay) but never heard of "store credit". 

That's the equivalent of expecting to "rent" a coin for free where you get to keep it for a time to admire it and then return it for a full refund. The dealer runs a business not a free perpetual approval service.

Why would any seller of coins anywhere do that?

On 12/6/2022 at 5:43 PM, World Colonial said:

"Store credit"?

I've heard some dealers purportedly agree to buy back coins they sell at "strong" prices (higher than other dealers will pay) but never heard of "store credit". 

That's the equivalent of expecting to "rent" a coin for free where you get to keep it for a time to admire it and then return it for a full refund. The dealer runs a business not a free perpetual approval service.

Why would any seller of coins anywhere do that?

I was asking to sell the coin to receive store credit instead of cash not lease a coin.

On 12/5/2022 at 7:50 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

ebay is cheap but I'm learning from books now. That medal is on ebay where all coins are supposed to be genuine and if their not you get your money back unlike other sites. That's why I shop ebay and frequent coin shops to validate my buys they have ana certificates and can spot fakes but I hate when they try to buy coins you are just trying to show them to get their opinion and always for about $100 more then you paid for it it's insulting like you would hock your coins to make 100 bucks.They try to make deals like 100 dollars now on a coin you paid 75 dollars for and 75 when they sell it of course they would never pay you the 75 dollars they would just deny they ever bought the coin from you I know because I asked for 200 store credit and he said we don't do that. Such jive!

You should be learning how to assess the condition, authenticity, grade and value yourself before you buy any coins.

On 12/5/2022 at 6:50 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

ebay is cheap but I'm learning from books now. That medal is on ebay where all coins are supposed to be genuine and if their not you get your money back unlike other sites. That's why I shop ebay and frequent coin shops to validate my buys they have ana certificates and can spot fakes but I hate when they try to buy coins you are just trying to show them to get their opinion and always for about $100 more then you paid for it it's insulting like you would hock your coins to make 100 bucks.They try to make deals like 100 dollars now on a coin you paid 75 dollars for and 75 when they sell it of course they would never pay you the 75 dollars they would just deny they ever bought the coin from you I know because I asked for 200 store credit and he said we don't do that. Such jive!

The main thing you obviously need is more experience - enough to know what any particular coin SHOULD look like. It can’t be done online and it’s even hard to do with books. You have to hunt ducks (coins) where the ducks (coins) are. You need to get to coin shows. Or maybe duck shows. 

On 12/7/2022 at 8:39 AM, EagleRJO said:

You should be learning how to assess the condition, authenticity, grade and value yourself before you buy any coins.

True. I checked on what a real copper 1982 small date is and out of most of the rolls I received came many large date zinc cents not what I paid for. I have been studying what a genuine flying eagle looks like cooper nickel and the shape of the numbers being not sloppy. No flying eagles are made of copper or brass. I have learned most rare wheat cents have been counterfeited and rarely come red in color except in certified state. I have been reading descriptions more carefully using Lincoln cent source and pcgs coin facts to find alot of coins advertised are fakes. I even spotted a fake 1857 on ebay of which I informed the seller and he thanked me and one at a pawn shop which the one at the pawn shop made no sense it was in pcgs case both were copper and the dates were rounded and oddly shaped and the one in the pawn shop had a differn't eagle design all together. I have stopped buying I have enough purchases on my credit card now to last some months. I need it because the credit union told me I need to use my card more. I purchased three genuine large cents and two genuine certified flying eagles.The only regretful deal was buying 1982 copper small dates they have a value of one cent. Not one uncirculated coin out of all of those rolls however their is a chance to make a grading book out of all of them because conditions vary from g4-AU55. I used the sheldon scale and the Red Book as reference while grading about 16 coins worth keeping between extra fine 40-AU55. The best thing is to stop buying and take the time to take the ANA course online to learn what is a numismatist. I can't really be a coin buyer tell I do that! Even pcgs coin facts tell very little about what variety a large cent is just that Newman varieties Exist. Newguy1 seems to know alot more about coins then I do! I have learned alot following his website posts.I have learned some from Sandon's posts as well. I seen one certified 1856 flying eagle that I highly doubt is cooper nickel and it has sold three times according to pcgs coin facts. Ive gotten better at spotting fakes but the 1955 double die cents scare me I don't think I will ever buy one raw because the difference of a fake and a real coin is very little difference in my opinion. A real education in coins has got to come from counterfeit detection course. I know nothing about buying gold except that an XRF test is required before any purchase but I have no idea how to read an XRF reader. I need that course and it's only $499 for two year course and the final exam can be taken at the local library I checked they proctor any exam they are authorized to proctor from GED tests to language and license examinations. I have about 8 month to take a two year course is their any mentors on this site that are ANA mentors that want to be my mentor? And does anyone believe I can pass a two year course in eight months? I Hope Your Operation went well. Nice clock by the way that was an Awesome gift.

On 12/7/2022 at 10:24 AM, VKurtB said:

The main thing you obviously need is more experience - enough to know what any particular coin SHOULD look like. It can’t be done online and it’s even hard to do with books. You have to hunt ducks (coins) where the ducks (coins) are. You need to get to coin shows. Or maybe duck shows. 

I attend the National Pigeon Association shows but I haven't been since a really good Pigeon man Friend of mine died! 2015 Rest in Peace Brother. There were coin dealers at shows in the 1990's mostly commemoratives and foreign currency they were from Hungry. I will get my books from ANA course! I bought the Red book Deluxe but not the Encyclopedia of coins yet. I need to spend money because the credit union said if I go another year without spending they could suspend my cards. I was on a saving spree but I can't continue on that way the credit union said that effects my credit score. The last coin show I found I just missed it was on the 3rd of this month about a hundred miles from here darn I really would have enjoyed that.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:25 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

True. I checked on what a real copper 1982 small date is and out of most of the rolls I received came many large date zinc cents not what I paid for. I have been studying what a genuine flying eagle looks like cooper nickel and the shape of the numbers being not sloppy. No flying eagles are made of copper or brass. I have learned most rare wheat cents have been counterfeited and rarely come red in color except in certified state. I have been reading descriptions more carefully using Lincoln cent source and pcgs coin facts to find alot of coins advertised are fakes. I even spotted a fake 1857 on ebay of which I informed the seller and he thanked me and one at a pawn shop which the one at the pawn shop made no sense it was in pcgs case both were copper and the dates were rounded and oddly shaped and the one in the pawn shop had a differn't eagle design all together. I have stopped buying I have enough purchases on my credit card now to last some months. I need it because the credit union told me I need to use my card more. I purchased three genuine large cents and two genuine certified flying eagles.The only regretful deal was buying 1982 copper small dates they have a value of one cent. Not one uncirculated coin out of all of those rolls however their is a chance to make a grading book out of all of them because conditions vary from g4-AU55. I used the sheldon scale and the Red Book as reference while grading about 16 coins worth keeping between extra fine 40-AU55. The best thing is to stop buying and take the time to take the ANA course online to learn what is a numismatist. I can't really be a coin buyer tell I do that! Even pcgs coin facts tell very little about what variety a large cent is just that Newman varieties Exist. Newguy1 seems to know alot more about coins then I do! I have learned alot following his website posts.I have learned some from Sandon's posts as well. I seen one certified 1856 flying eagle that I highly doubt is cooper nickel and it has sold three times according to pcgs coin facts. Ive gotten better at spotting fakes but the 1955 double die cents scare me I don't think I will ever buy one raw because the difference of a fake and a real coin is very little difference in my opinion. A real education in coins has got to come from counterfeit detection course. I know nothing about buying gold except that an XRF test is required before any purchase but I have no idea how to read an XRF reader. I need that course and it's only $499 for two year course and the final exam can be taken at the local library I checked they proctor any exam they are authorized to proctor from GED tests to language and license examinations. I have about 8 month to take a two year course is their any mentors on this site that are ANA mentors that want to be my mentor? And does anyone believe I can pass a two year course in eight months? I Hope Your Operation went well. Nice clock by the way that was an Awesome gift.

in your post.- Newguy1 seems to know alot more about coins then I do! I have learned alot following his website posts.T

hank u very much. ill try not to get a big head :banana::acclaim:That made my day. For real tho, I'm still learning a lot from guys like sandon, jkk, ldhair rwb curt and quintis A's chicken :roflmao: and others Im forgetting to call out.  Listen to them..  But its always fun to be able to get the right answer and help someone like those guys do. I have Been collecting for over 25 years but am starting to learn that I was doing alot of hoarding and only a little bit of learning

Im praying for your surgery to go good.  NG1

On 12/8/2022 at 10:08 AM, NewGuy1 said:

in your post.- Newguy1 seems to know alot more about coins then I do! I have learned alot following his website posts.T

hank u very much. ill try not to get a big head :banana::acclaim:That made my day. For real tho, I'm still learning a lot from guys like sandon, jkk, ldhair rwb curt and quintis A's chicken :roflmao: and others Im forgetting to call out.  Listen to them..  But its always fun to be able to get the right answer and help someone like those guys do. I have Been collecting for over 25 years but am starting to learn that I was doing alot of hoarding and only a little bit of learning

One can do both - hoard AND take a serious path of study. One does not preclude the other. It does pay to be aware of which is which. 

On 12/8/2022 at 8:08 AM, NewGuy1 said:

Thanks I appreciate that so much for the prayers

Edited by pigeonman333rd

From a discussion about the red book ...

Most collectors of American coins start with Guide Book to United States Coins by R. S. Yeoman and Kenneth Bressett. Commonly called “The Red Book,” this annual provides basic information about mintage figures (including Proofs). It also gives short verbal descriptions for grading coins. At the end of each section, you will find a bibliography. Those works are the ones that a collector should consider seriously when deciding which book to buy before acquiring the next coin.