• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

!982 P copper small date and 1982 copper cents in General is it just a fad or is the ABP Going up? Is it time to break out the rolls?
1 1

43 posts in this topic

This threat is to talk about 1982 copper cents any of them, I specifically like the 1982 P copper or bronze small date. The question I have for you is the ABP going up and is it a fad or a trend that will raise the Average buying price of 1982 copper cents. Share anything 1982 that you feel is appropriate. No nudity or profanity please and have fun Welcome to NGC! 

19820.JPG

19821.JPG

On 11/30/2022 at 6:32 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

I have paid as high as .86 cents a piece for 1982 copper Bronze small date cents on the low end in large quantity and 150.00 Dollars for one over rated specimen.

There is no commercial future in them. 

The seven varieties of 1982 cents that were known to have been issued in 1982 (combinations of large or small dates and brass or copper-plated zinc composition, except for the 1982-D small date in brass) were quite popular at the time and were apparently all saved in enormous quantities of uncirculated bags and rolls.  Many dealers sold sets of all seven varieties during the early 1980s, and many collectors (myself included) withdrew the small dates of both compositions from circulation as novelties. It's unlikely that any of these varieties will be worth much in any of our lifetimes, except in extremely high grades (MS 67RD or higher). 

It is regrettable that the mint didn't keep records of how many of each variety were struck, but the total mintages were enormous (10.7 billion Philadelphia, 6 billion Denver). Presumably, the mint struck several hundred million to several billion of the seven original varieties. It remains to be seen how many of the recently discovered 1982-D small date in brass will turn up.

Oh well it's just money and they are all unc about 1500 coins. If it's not worth something today then tomorrow is still a beautiful day. I just want one with full steps and hair line and I would have got my moneys worth. Most of my old ones a circulated and lack definition. Cheer's

Ive been thinking about trying to collect all the varities just because its my birth year. Instead of getting graded coins Id like to get one of those cardboard holders that has all the spots for them. Ive seen them on google. Not sure what they are called. But like to go for an uncirculated set.  Nicest coins I can find for it. Not as an investment or anything like that. Just something neat for a birth year set. 

On 12/1/2022 at 7:18 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

Try your local coin shops dollar bin if they don't have one suggest they do. I have found a 1969 set I got for one dollar. I will let you know if I find a good one online I save sellers of 1982s

Dont have any coin shops around close. Just pawn shops and they have lost their minds when it comes to pricing coins. 

On 12/1/2022 at 6:28 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Dont have any coin shops around close. Just pawn shops and they have lost their minds when it comes to pricing coins. 

So true, ridiculous how there pricing are . I go back and forth from pawnshops and antique shops. Antique shops think they have a huge gold mined.

Good idea because UNC 1982 d cents at least the large dates come up in change sometimes and the proofs are able to be obtained pretty cheaply. Why don't you just get a proof set start from their and coin hunt trade and buy the ones closest to Ms 70!

On 12/1/2022 at 9:49 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Good idea because UNC 1982 d cents at least the large dates come up in change sometimes and the proofs are able to be obtained pretty cheaply. Why don't you just get a proof set start from their and coin hunt trade and buy the ones closest to Ms 70!

Im gonna build a proof set in graded coins. Gonna try for the higest graded possible on it. I gotta finish some other projects first. Im working on a 1967 SMS MS67 cameo set, full set of Franklin business strikes graded in PCGS and NGC, and a full set of silver  Washington quarters in PCGS and NGC.  Its gonna take me a while to finish those. I may be able to get the SMS set a little quicker. The penny will probably take me a while. In MS67 cameo they are pretty pricey. After I build it Im planning on 82 proof cameos as a side project. The SMS is the side project for now. The Franklins and GWs are my main focus. But the side project gives me a little break from those every once in a while. I figured Id just do the 82 penny varities raw as a side project also. I figured I could find them raw pretty cheap in Ebay auctions. Maybe. May find some decent ones in change. But like to find some nice clean BUs. 

On 12/1/2022 at 9:26 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Ill probably take my time and build a set from scratch. 

I looked yesterday and there are plenty of seven coin sets on eBay right now from about $5 on up.  I didn't look for graded coins, but the populations aren't low.

Finding high grade eligible coins in circulation probably isn't going to happen, unless someone dumped their change jar in a Coin Star machine.  It's 40 years old.

On 12/2/2022 at 11:10 AM, World Colonial said:

I looked yesterday and there are plenty of seven coin sets on eBay right now from about $5 on up.  I didn't look for graded coins, but the populations aren't low.

Finding high grade eligible coins in circulation probably isn't going to happen, unless someone dumped their change jar in a Coin Star machine.  It's 40 years old.

Im talking about buying them from coin auctions or something like that. Only if I see them. Nicer ones. If I dont its no big deal. It will be a later on project. I may just buy a set of them already put together. Non graded. Ill probably change my mind several times before I get there. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 12/1/2022 at 1:39 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

Oh well it's just money and they are all unc about 1500 coins. If it's not worth something today then tomorrow is still a beautiful day. I just want one with full steps and hair line and I would have got my moneys worth. Most of my old ones a circulated and lack definition. Cheer's

There’s no such thing as full steps on cents. 

On 12/2/2022 at 2:00 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

On 1982 copper cents maybe not full steps on reverse due to pore strike.

The designation “full steps” ONLY APPLIES TO JEFFERSON NICKELS. 

On 12/2/2022 at 2:10 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Ok didn't know that thanks VKurtB. I guess I should call it a well struck minimal wear reverse.

“Fully struck” is descriptive but not unusual. The lack of full steps on the Lincoln Memorial would be noteworthy, but weak strikes on Lincoln Memorial cents usually show the so-called “floating roof”.

I have 1975's floating head variety unc obverse au reverse coins in the garage I saved them from rolls from one box but they have no value or information on them at Lincoln cent source or any other website I have checked. I've had luck with 1982 copper small dates. I accidently knocked the box of 1950-1958 uncirculated wheat cents and had to case about 3 pages of uncirculated wheat cents yesterday. Now those are value less because they have no errors. What years are the floating roofs?

On 12/5/2022 at 3:49 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

I have 1975's floating head variety unc obverse au reverse coins in the garage I saved them from rolls from one box but they have no value or information on them at Lincoln cent source or any other website I have checked. I've had luck with 1982 copper small dates. I accidently knocked the box of 1950-1958 uncirculated wheat cents and had to case about 3 pages of uncirculated wheat cents yesterday. Now those are value less because they have no errors. What years are the floating roofs?

I don’t know which year(s) because, and I say this with ALL available sincerity, I really do not care. I don’t “do” minor varieties. I don’t “do” ANY found coins. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/5/2022 at 4:49 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Well good Luck buying key dates and rare specimens then. Here's a few old sales tracked that might spike more interest on the topic.

19824.JPG

19822.JPG

19823.JPG

Every one of those transactions is a theft. Those coins are worthless. 

You must understand that this hobby is crawling with con men and charlatans, PARTICULARLY online. And newbies come in like sheep waiting to be shorn. And shorn they are. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/5/2022 at 6:28 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

I most certainly agree! If you think that's bad check out this flying eagle it's obviously fake and some one is bidding 150.00 dollars on it ouch!

fake1857.JPG

See? There’s the problem! I’ve been in this hobby SERIOUSLY for 59 years, and I wouldn’t have the first idea where to even LOOK for garbage like this. Why do you?

ebay is cheap but I'm learning from books now. That medal is on ebay where all coins are supposed to be genuine and if their not you get your money back unlike other sites. That's why I shop ebay and frequent coin shops to validate my buys they have ana certificates and can spot fakes but I hate when they try to buy coins you are just trying to show them to get their opinion and always for about $100 more then you paid for it it's insulting like you would hock your coins to make 100 bucks.They try to make deals like 100 dollars now on a coin you paid 75 dollars for and 75 when they sell it of course they would never pay you the 75 dollars they would just deny they ever bought the coin from you I know because I asked for 200 store credit and he said we don't do that. Such jive!