• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inquiring

13 posts in this topic

What would be the question, and the pics are pretty blurry to tell much?

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1917-d-25c-type-1/5708

Also try cropping the pics which is helpful to see the coin and if it's properly in focus a little better [before posting].

1917 Standing Liberty 25C Forum.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/26/2022 at 11:51 PM, EagleRJO said:

What would be the question, and the pics are pretty blurry to tell much?

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1917-d-25c-type-1/5708

Also try cropping the pics which is helpful to see the coin and if it properly in focus a little better.

1917 Standing Liberty 25C Forum.jpg

I guess I was trying to really figure out what tier I was needing to use on my submissions form when send coins to have graded... Thank you for the link very helpful...

On 11/27/2022 at 1:01 AM, JessicaJoe said:

I guess I was trying to really figure out what tier I was needing to use on my submissions form when send coins to have graded... Thank you for the link very helpful...

Are you going to be sending in regularly ?  Are you into coin collecting ?

I'm not sure it pays to have your coins graded unless you have a large amount of VALUABLE coins.  The time, effort, and $$$ might not be worth it especially if you only have a few coins.  Probably best then to take them to an LCS. 

On 11/27/2022 at 1:01 AM, JessicaJoe said:

I guess I was trying to really figure out what tier I was needing to use on my submissions form when send coins to have graded

Just curious why you are submitting the coin for grading.  And this link may help on the submission tier ... https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/services-fees/ngc/

Btw, welcome to the forum!

Welcome Forum.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

This is a 1917-D Variety One Standing Liberty quarter that has a bad enough scratch that it probably wouldn't receive a numerical grade from a grading service.  From the photos it appears to have been improperly "cleaned" as well, meaning that the surfaces have been altered by chemicals or abrasives, which would also negate a numerical grade.  It has approximately Extremely Fine details, which unimpaired would mean a retail value of approximately $175. This one is probably worth more like $50 due to the impairments.  

I included a link to a post on basic resources for new collectors in one of @JessicaJoe's other posts, to which she should refer to acquire basic knowledge about coins.

Here are photos of a 1917 Variety One quarter graded MS 64 FH (full head details) by NGC as an example of a coin that is worth third-party grading.

294880754_1917T1quarterobv..thumb.jpg.b05d51aa1b90ad28e03abdfb78489bbf.jpg1679197011_1917T1quarterrev..thumb.jpg.b3d31b0b97f8129586e8ff913ce2e32a.jpg

On 11/27/2022 at 10:02 AM, Coinbuf said:

@JessicaJoe yes, you have a 1917 standing liberty quarter.   Even with the pic a bit blurry I can say with confidence that this coin is not a coin you should spend the money to have graded.   Your coin is a circulated coin and is worth less than the cost to have graded.   I suggest that before you spend lots of money on grading coins that you stop and learn how to grade those coins first.    Many beginners think that because a coin is old that it must be valuable, while many old coins are valuable, and most have a value that exceeds the face value, a large percentage are not valuable enough to be worth having graded and slabbed.

Jessica, listen to Coinbuf and some of the veterans.....don't WORRY about the grades existing coins you have are or what they are worth....read about them....learn about different grade levels (mostly Mint State vs. About Uncirculated)...decide which coins you want to focus on....ask others here who might be collectors of that particular type and if it is possible to get a complete or nearly-complete collection (and how much it might cost in various grades)....etc...etc.

You should probably start off with the 2022 or 2023 RED BOOK and maybe a primer on a particular coin you want to focus on.  The Red book is an annual review of all U.S. coin denominations going back over 150 years....short information paragraphs....price information (dated, but better than nothing)....and you can read little facts about particular coins, years, or mint marks.(thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969