• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inquiring

15 posts in this topic

i dont think so....  see how flat the hair is on the obverse.   look how worn the eagle is on the reverse....  also it doesnt look very lustrous.. maybe a cleaned specimen

On 11/26/2022 at 11:35 PM, JT2 said:

i dont think so....  see how flat the hair is on the obverse.   look how worn the eagle is on the reverse....  also it doesnt look very lustrous.. maybe a cleaned specimen

Agreed it's not an MS66 (example attached from PCGS CoinFacts).  In addition to the hair on the obverse, it also looks like significant wear of the eagle's feathers on the reverse.  I'm not sure where the MS66 came from, but that seems way off.

Looks maybe more like in the F to VF grade range with that amount of wear, but I'm not that familiar with the series.  See this link for more info on grades ...

[https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1923-d-1/images/7361]

1923 D Peace Dollar PCGS MS66.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/27/2022 at 10:58 AM, RWB said:

A circulated Peace dollar that has been polished for some purpose - like to cheat an innocent buyer. As with other abused silver dollars, it is worth only its silver value which is about $16.75.

Thank you for the information I have never cleaned or polish this coin was found this way but thank you

Jessica....if you have more of these coins, I would suggest just 1 "Inquiring" thread and keep adding any coins you have to it.  You can call it "Inquiring About My Longtime but Small Collection" or "Inquiring About A Few Coins" or just even "Inquiring."  xD

No need to create more threads if you are just asking about a bunch of different coins.

On 11/27/2022 at 12:35 PM, JessicaJoe said:

Thank you for the information I have never cleaned or polish this coin was found this way but thank you

Unless a coin has been preserved from the time it was struck at the mint, it's most likely circulated and/or cleaned.  The cleaning may have been with liquids...it may have been just wiped with a cloth or tissue...it may have even just rubbed inside someone's pants pocket.  They are all going to show up as "cleaning" or "rub" or "wear" to some extent.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:40 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Jessica....if you have more of these coins, I would suggest just 1 "Inquiring" thread and keep adding any coins you have to it.  You can call it "Inquiring About My Longtime but Small Collection" or "Inquiring About A Few Coins" or just even "Inquiring."  xD

No need to create more threads if you are just asking about a bunch of different coins.

I disagree. As soon as the second coin appears in a thread we thereafter must try and figure out which one we're talking about. We have tried and tried and tried to impress this on new posters, and this new poster got the message first time. All she needs to do in order to make it a little better is to title the thread something about the coin and ask questions in each case. Let us please not ask people to take steps backward.

Nothing was meant to suggest you were responsible for polishing the dollar....But, it was deliberate and ruined an otherwise pleasant coin. Greed and innocent ignorance are the primary reasons this happens.

On 11/27/2022 at 2:36 PM, JKK said:

I disagree. As soon as the second coin appears in a thread we thereafter must try and figure out which one we're talking about. We have tried and tried and tried to impress this on new posters, and this new poster got the message first time. All she needs to do in order to make it a little better is to title the thread something about the coin and ask questions in each case. Let us please not ask people to take steps backward.

It doesn't matter to me, JKK, but what if anybody here has several dozen different coins they want to ask about in a few days or weeks ?

Gonna be alot of new threads clogging the top of the active thread rankings. xD

On 11/27/2022 at 1:21 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

It doesn't matter to me, JKK, but what if anybody here has several dozen different coins they want to ask about in a few days or weeks ?

Gonna be alot of new threads clogging the top of the active thread rankings. xD

The limiter there is the time it takes to deal with photographing each one correctly; it's enough work that people eventually slow down and start to pick their spots, so the anticipated problem rarely materializes. But new threads don't really clog up the listing; if anything, they push dead threads farther down so that our thread necromancers have to at least go digging in order to animate undead threads to waste everyone's time and attention. It doesn't have to take very long for an OP to obtain all the info they needed.

The bottom line is that we've long had a consensus of one coin, one thread. Every time someone does it differently, and posts ten coins in a thread, we relearn the reason for that consensus. ("Wait. Which coin are you referring to?" "imma refer 2 the dime" "There are three dimes in this thread, Einstein. Which one?" "dont get uptite man its not a big deal")

Edited by JKK

I might add that, given that this place has been nicknamed Sleepy Hollow, a profusion of questions to answer and people to help is hardly an unwelcome thing. This forum logs me out against my wishes every few days. Normally I just do not bother to relogin until I see that something has shown up that I want to post about. I'd be more inclined to participate if it were busier.

I have never cleaned or polish this coin was found this way but thank you

I don't think anyone was suggesting that you cleaned or polished the coin, and were just pointing out that it looked cleaned/polished.  Although it may have been done recently, it's more likely that was done a long time ago (along with many other silver coins) back when collectors wanted bright silver coins with no tarnish/toning, and that would knock down the value if present.  Fast forward to more recent times, and toning has become widely popular, sometimes with huge premiums for toned coins.  Go figure.

On 11/28/2022 at 12:24 AM, EagleRJO said:

I don't think anyone was suggesting that you cleaned or polished the coin, and were just pointing out that it looked cleaned/polished.  Although it may have been done recently, it's more likely that was done a long time ago (along with many other silver coins) back when collectors wanted bright silver coins with no tarnish/toning, and that would knock down the value if present.  Fast forward to more recent times, and toning has become widely popular, sometimes with huge premiums for toned coins.  Go figure.

Question on the cleaning? Is that why it is gold to the eye is that toning? 

On 11/28/2022 at 1:39 AM, JessicaJoe said:

Question on the cleaning? Is that why it is gold to the eye is that toning?

The appearance is probably what is called re-toning, which is color changes that occur after a coin is cleaned or polished.  If the coin was not cleaned it would just be called toning.

Edited by EagleRJO