• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin value

23 posts in this topic

What you have is most likely a common Morgan Silver Dollar worth the value of the silver.  We'd need to know the condition of the coin to determine if it's worth a multiple of silver value because it is in pristine, Mint State condition.

PCGS and NGC both have price guides online for a 1921 Morgan Silver Dollar.  Yours is most likely worn, probably in the AU condition or lower.

Pics ?

They are very, very common. To be worth much more than melt, it would have to meet many conditions that are very rare (which is why that's what it takes to get them to be worth much).

Welcome.  I agree that you would need to post good cropped pics to get an idea of grade, but in 1921 there were comparatively many Morgans produced (20M to 40M per mint) and they are notorious for not having a good strike. 

Unless it's a unicorn very rare high mint state or proof grade (perfect, with great luster and virtually no marks, and nothing in focus areas), even a gem condition 1921 Morgan will only be worth about $50 to $100 due to these factors.  And with just some wear that drops like a rock to melt value.  Also, there is really no added value for various varieties that year, so I wouldn't really worry about that too much.  But you can check out various varieties at VamWorld which is a great site for Morgans.

Also, if you know the rough grade, maybe from posting some good pics to help with that, you can go to the NGC Price Guide for those coins here ... https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/dollars/49/

Those are not too bad, but a little blurry (maybe try stacked books?).  It doesn't look like any significant wear, but there are a number of bag marks particularly on the face and neck area which is a no-go for higher grade Morgans.  It looks like it's probably a high AU to low MS grade depending on if the slightly darker areas at the high points (e.g. area around the cheek and on the eagles breast) are rub marks or possibly frosty areas which don't photograph well, and you would need to look at with the coin in-hand.

With pics it's better to crop them around the coin, and I prefer placing them side -by-side like the attached, both of which are simple to do.  Also, a great place to go for coin grades is PCGS CoinFacts (e.g. https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1921-1-morgan/images/7296 for that coin) which you can use to compare the coin in-hand to the pics which is a better method when you are not familiar with a particular series.

1921 Morgan Forum.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

They tell us what we need to know to answer your question. It's uncirculated, probably not cleaned though I wouldn't rule it out, and absolutely pocked with minor contact marks including quite a few in prime focal areas. I do not see it grading above MS-63, and I think 62 is likelier.

Lightly circulated, very common. Melt is about $16.75. Dealer offer about $15.50; selling at about $21.00. (Silver = $21.48 per T oz.)

On 11/27/2022 at 11:14 PM, RickG296 said:

I can't seem to load my other pics. 

It's recommended that you start a new thread for each coin anyway, when you do figure it out.  That way comments are clear as to which coin they apply to.  It's also recommended that you include at least the general type of coin that new thread applies to in the topic title, maybe with a date also if you have multiples of the same type you are inquiring about.

And since you are a newer collector I would recommend checking out this thread ... Resources for New Collectors

Edited by EagleRJO