• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1916 Belgium 10c - Is it a 1916/15 Overdate?

7 posts in this topic

Whatcya y'all think? Thanks
It's a KM#81, zinc coin from the WWI German Occupation with known 1916/15 overdates which is listed in NGC's World Coin Price Guide but recognized in Variety Plus, for some reason. Does anybody also know or have seen better pictures of this unofficial variety? 

WIN_20221119_12_15_53_Pro.jpg

WIN_20221119_13_19_06_Pro.jpg

WIN_20221119_13_19_37_Pro.jpg

WIN_20221119_13_20_02_Pro.jpg

I don't have better pictures, but if that's a known overdate, seems quite likely that's what you have. I would be hard pressed to explain the traces of a 5 in any other way. Nice find--I like occupation and colonial coinage.

Very interesting.  It looks like I could be just comparing the 1915 and 1916 fonts separately.  I didn't do an overlay though.

These foreign overdates can be tough to track down images.  I took a chance on a 1916/1 Chilean 5 centavo a few years back and NGC agreed with me on that one.  

Good eye!

On 11/19/2022 at 5:49 PM, Dascher said:

Does anybody also know or have seen better pictures of this unofficial variety? 

It's a cool coin, if you go on ebay there are several of these overdates available, some with good clear images. I don't know that I would call this an unofficial variety, it is a known variety listed in Krause as you mentioned. I think the larger question you're hinting at is will NGC recognize this variety? I don't know. You'll have to gather up all the info available, as you are doing, and contact NGC. Base on experience I can tell you it's an uphill battle, I wish you luck and hope that NGC will recognize this. They may consider this the normal release. (shrug)

On 11/19/2022 at 10:02 PM, Crawtomatic said:

Very interesting.  It looks like I could be just comparing the 1915 and 1916 fonts separately.  I didn't do an overlay though.

These foreign overdates can be tough to track down images.  I took a chance on a 1916/1 Chilean 5 centavo a few years back and NGC agreed with me on that one.  

Good eye!

Hey bud, great info thanks. Particularly glad to hear about your 1916/1 Chilean 5c. If you don't mind, may I ask what exactly you did and what you got from NGC on the certification holder?. Thanks 

On 11/20/2022 at 8:19 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It's a cool coin, if you go on ebay there are several of these overdates available, some with good clear images. I don't know that I would call this an unofficial variety, it is a known variety listed in Krause as you mentioned. I think the larger question you're hinting at is will NGC recognize this variety? I don't know. You'll have to gather up all the info available, as you are doing, and contact NGC. Base on experience I can tell you it's an uphill battle, I wish you luck and hope that NGC will recognize this. They may consider this the normal release. (shrug)

Great info. Thank you very, very much. Yes, that is the bigger picture I was getting at.

On 11/20/2022 at 12:02 PM, Dascher said:

Hey bud, great info thanks. Particularly glad to hear about your 1916/1 Chilean 5c. If you don't mind, may I ask what exactly you did and what you got from NGC on the certification holder?. Thanks 

Honestly, I didn't do anything extra or special.  I just included it with a normal submission of foreign coinage and marked off the variety attribution and listed it out.