• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1934-38 Texas Independence Centennial Half Dollars

8 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2022 at 11:47 AM, VKurtB said:

Is that the original Cotton Bowl stadium in the background?

Yes.  Most of what you see there still exists and is in use.  The State Fair of Texas is there every year.  Along with a few smaller museums and such open year round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Park

On 11/18/2022 at 8:31 PM, Crawtomatic said:

Yes.  Most of what you see there still exists and is in use.  The State Fair of Texas is there every year.  Along with a few smaller museums and such open year round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Park

And the Texas Oklahoma football game every year. 

I continue:

To the Under Secretary of the Treasury L. W. Robert (Sic) from the Chairman of the Commission of Fine Arts Charles Moore on May 24, 1934, regarding problem with the Texas Independence Centennial Half Dollar. 

Can you do anything to stop the deluge of 50-cent pieces for all sorts of commemorative purposes? We have now before the Commission a Texas Half Dollar. The design shows the whole history of Texas and all its leading personages in a perfect hodgepodge. The heads are so small that they will disappear on a 50-cent piece and yet it is just this conglomeration on which the Texas people are relying to sell 25 cents worth of silver done into a 50-cent piece at the price of a dollar in order to make money to build some building.

It seems to me very undignified for the United States Government to lend itself to such schemes.

I told the representative that if he succeeded in making money out of this 50-cent piece he will do more than any of the other people have done with theirs. This coinage may use up a certain amount of silver but otherwise I see no advantage therein. (Is this the beginning of the end of the early Commemorative series? Not the first time Mr. Moore has asked for help to do away with them-LG).3

3 The Authoritative Reference on Commemorative Coins 1892 –1954, Kevin Flynn, published by Kyle Vick, 2008, p. 331.

Courtesy of the U. S. Commission of Fine Arts 

Minutes of Meeting held in Washington, D.C., May 28, 1934.

The following members were present:

Mr. Moore, Chairman,

Mr. Swartwout,

Mr. Clarke,

Mr. Howells,

Mr. Lawrie,

Mr. Savage,

Mr. Coolidge 

Also Mr. H. P. Caemmerer, Secretary and Executive Officer. 

Texas Independence Coin: Mr. Moore brought to the attention of the Commission sketch models submitted by Mr. Pompeo Coppini for the Texas Independence Centennial half-dollar. Mr. Moore said Mr. Coppini left these here a few days ago when he called in company with Congressman W. D. MacFarlane. Mr. MacFarlane said the State Centennial Committee had approved the designs and they desired the advice of the Commission of Fine Arts in the matter. He also said that they had brought them to the attention of the Assistant Director of the Mint and that the sketches were regarded satisfactory by that office.

The models showed on the obverse an eagle superimposed on a large star, the star signifying the ‘Lone Star State.’ On the reverse there was a figure of Liberty and in the background there were six flags and the heads of Houston and Austin, who figured in Texas history. Also there was an indication of the Alamo. The six flags represented the six Governments under which Texas existed, namely, Spain, France, Mexico, Independent, Confederate, and the United States. The celebration is to take place in 1936.

The act of Congress which was approved June 15, 1933, provides for coining one and one-half million 50-cent pieces. Mr. MacFarlane said it is proposed to sell these at one dollar each and use the surplus for a memorial building.

The models were brought to the particular attention of Mr. Lawrie, who gave the models very careful attention and submitted a statement as follows:

Obverse: Suggest that the lettering be in relief instead of being incused; that the eagle be designed to have dignity and spirit and that the laurel branch have fewer and larger leaves.

Reverse: By far too complicated. Suggest that all the lettering except ‘Remember the Alamo’ and the riband be in relief; that the star be omitted and the elements be limited to a representation of the Alamo building and the overlapping profiles of the two portraits with surrounding circle of lettering of ‘Texas Independence Centennial, etc.’

The Commission concurred in the criticisms of Mr. Lawrie and informed Mr. Coppini accordingly as also Representative MacFarlane. (Exhibits B, B-1, and B-2) 

Exhibit B

May 29, 1934.

Dear Mr. Coppini:

The Commission of Fine Arts at their meeting on May 28, 1934, considered your models for the Texas Independence Centennial 50-cent piece. The models were brought to the particular attention of Mr. Lee Lawrie, sculptor member of the Commission. Mr. Lawrie in general advises that the models for both sides are too fussy in design and should be very much simpler. He makes the following criticisms:

Obverse: Suggest that the lettering be in relief instead of being incised; that the eagle be designed to have dignity and spirit and that the laurel branch have fewer and larger leaves.

Reverse: By far too complicated. Suggest that all the lettering except ‘Remember the Alamo’ and the riband be in relief; that the star be omitted and the elements be limited to a representation of the Alamo building and the overlapping profiles of the two portraits with surrounding circle of lettering of Texas Independence Centennial, etc.’

The Commission approve the criticisms of Mr. Lawrie and it is suggested that you revise your models accordingly. Thereupon they could be brought to the attention of Mr. Lawrie, whose address is 149 East 119th Street, New York City.

The models are being returned to you under separate cover.

For the Commission of Fine Arts:

Very respectfully yours, 

(Signed) Charles Moore,

Chairman.

Mr. Pompeo Luigi Coppini,

210 West 14th Street,

New York, N. Y.

Exhibit B-1

May 29, 1934.

Dear Mr. McFarlane:

Enclosed is a copy of the report sent to Mr. Coppini regarding the models for the Texas Independence Centennial 50-cent piece, which was considered by the Commission of Fine Arts at their meeting yesterday. The models have been returned to Mr. Coppini for further attention. It is about as difficult to produce a good model for a coin as it is for a piece of sculpture.

Sincerely yours,

(Signed) Charles Moore, 

Chairman.

Hon. W. D. McFarlane,

House of Representatives,

Washington, D. C.

Exhibit B-2

STUDIO OF

Sculptor Pompeo Coppini

210 West 14th Street

New York City

Telephone CHelsea 3-5544

May 31, 1934

Hon. Charles Moore

Chairman of The Commission of Fine Arts

Navy Department building

Washington – D.C. 

Dear Mr. Moore:

Your letter of the 29th at hand. I am sorry you did not give me the time to explain my conception of the models and the opportunity I have been wishing for to show you my works, as I believe you could have relieved Mr. Lawrie of many of his misapprehensions in regard to the ultimate finishing of the coin by- telling him that those were nothing more than sketches primarily intended for the Texas Committee and presented to your commission after they accepted them on the strength of my conception.

I told your Secretary before you came in that they were sketches and that the lettering was to be all in relief.

However, I will get in touch with Mr. Lawrie and cooperate with him to reach a final agreement to the satisfaction of your Fine Arts Commission and the Texas Committee.

Very respectfully yours, 

(Signed) Pompeo Coppini

texas04.png.7dec0e8fa1d476c53ca36ddf020ebae6.png

Texas02A.png.fb0462aa06edcf69c3344b7f3e92d4ec.png

Original and reverse model by Pompeo Coppini that were rejected by the CFA. Courtesy of the Commission of Fine Arts.

204066962_AdopedObvModel.png.4451ae2bf3cd4cf20d2e6830a3514c89.png

65394086_AdoptedRevModel.png.faacf622e5c2d0d1082a5fb70a82bd4f.png

Models adopted of obverse and reverse by Pompeo Coppini. Courtesy of the Commission of Fine Arts.

We Continue:

1936Texas_Centennial_Brochure1A.png.4cb5bac2087756304e6ac7086006b801.png

Courtesy of a brochure in my Numismatic Library.

On the same day, Lawrie wrote to McFarlane:

Dear Sir: I received your telegram asking that I urge the Commission of Fine Arts to approve Mr. Coppini’s design for the Texas Independence Centennial Half Dollar. The Commission considered the sketches at its meeting on May 28 and made recommendations that it believed would help perfect the design without affecting the ideas in it. At Mr. Coppini’s studio yesterday morning he and I discussed a possible rearrangement of the design that I think he is agreeable to using, and I believe that with his great ability we may expect that the more developed models that he submits will have the Commission of Fine Arts’ approval. Yours very truly.

At their meeting on June 19, the Commission authorized Lawrie and fellow member Eugene Savage to pass on Coppini’s revised models. The following day, Lawrie wrote to secretary Caemmerer:

Dear Mr. Caemmerer: Mr. Savage and I approved Mr. Coppini’s models for the Texas Independence Centennial half-dollar. We requested some minor changes in the figure of Liberty, and in the claws and a wing of the eagle. 

Texans next April 21, San Jacinto day, will put into their pockets silver half-dollars of a design never before seen in the history of America.

These half-dollars will bear a picture of the Alamo, Texas shrine of liberty.

Other Texas historical emblems will appear on the Centennial half-dollars, coined under a law sponsored by U.S. Sen. Tom Connally and Cong. Wright Pitman, in cooperation with the American Legion State Centennial Committee of which A. Garland Adair is chairman.

The coins will be ready and distribution will start on San Jacinto Day, 98th anniversary of the battle that made Texas independence sure. 

Coined At

Coins Minted

Coins Sold

Returned to Mint

1934 Philadelphia

1935 Philadelphia

1935 Denver

None

1935 San Francisco

None

1936 Philadelphia

1936 Denver

1936 San Francisco

1937 Philadelphia

1937 Denver

1937 San Francisco

1938 Philadelphia

1938 Denver

1938 San Francisco

Totals

The Texas half dollars went off sale on November 1, 1938.  Mintage figures shown here were prepared by the Texas Memorial Museum Centennial Coin Campaign Committee.4 The odd numbers minted were reserved for assay purposes. 

One and a half million of these coins were minted, under authority for their distribution at $1 each, the entire $750,000 net proceeds to be used in the of a Texas museum on grounds donated by University of Texas regents, this museum to serve as a sort of cornerstone for the Texas Centennial of 1936.