• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1998 P doubling - Which?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

[I ask rhetorically, with all the advances being made in cutting edge metallurgy and a cumulative base of knowledge and experience in die-making and Mint machine maintenance, is this the very best the U.S. Government can do in producing an aesthetically pleasing coin for circulation?]

On 11/12/2022 at 8:03 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

[I ask rhetorically, with all the advances being made in cutting edge metallurgy and a cumulative base of knowledge and experience in die-making and Mint machine maintenance, is this the very best the U.S. Government can do in producing an aesthetically pleasing coin for circulation?]

—I don’t know—I answer (a)musingly; I reckon that you lose a chunk of aesthetic sensitivity each time you help a n00b, I get it. With all the gorgeous pieces out there, I post this gimcrack disk. Twenty years of it. Thanks for the stiff upper lip and the asides. I am a bottom feeder; without pedigree.

Fenntucky Mike, thank you. I hope that some soul does not disagree.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:30 AM, Ray Tatum said:

—I don’t know—I answer (a)musingly; I reckon that you lose a chunk of aesthetic sensitivity each time you help a n00b, I get it. With all the gorgeous pieces out there, I post this gimcrack disk. Twenty years of it. Thanks for the stiff upper lip and the asides. I am a bottom feeder; without pedigree.

Fenntucky Mike, thank you. I hope that some soul does not disagree.

It is MD with Die Erosion and a lot of handling in my opinion. 

On 11/12/2022 at 7:03 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

The mint started making better coins in 1999 when people finally started collecting circulating coins (states quarters).  

For the last 12 or 14 years someone has been scratching up the coins pretty bad and most are starting to look like this.  Maybe it's a new type of coin handling equipment or something.  

I read eBay offers for practice. 

I see die breaks across five years of issues that are similar, attempting to reason that out.

So:

A hub weakens a die in such a way that the die breaks in time and leaves a raised line on the coin.

Worker replaces the die with a die made from the same hub.

That replacement die carries the same structural weakness?

Replacement die breaks in a similar way and makes a similar raised line.

Can the strike of a hub on a die cause that die and the successive dies that it makes to have the same propensity for failure?