• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you collect?

166 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2022 at 10:09 AM, World Colonial said:

That's what led me to trade all my world coinage for a Bust half and buy a few other similar coins later with the limited funds I had. 

That's the good thing about what you did and also what I have with my preference for Saints (and moderatly-priced Morgans).....I can't buy too many of them so the space they take up is not that bad.

I have friends with THOUSANDS of coins and it's a haul to display maybe 10% of them.  With me, I can show everything in 10 minutes.....I have maybe a few dozen coins, the rest are bullion or quasi-bullion. (thumbsu

On 12/7/2022 at 10:20 AM, World Colonial said:

Part 2

After this, I started and stopped several times, having other priorities and limited funds.  I resumed in 1998 permanently once I started using the internet regularly and finally had sufficient disposable income.

My initial primary interest was South Africa Union (since I had lived there in the 70's) along with a few other sets like Bolivia decimal coinage.  One of these was also the pillar coinage which is now my primary interest.

I switched to pillar coinage as my primary interest around 2010.  I had bought it occasionally previously when I could find a coin I wanted.  South African coinage was in a bubble at this time and I decided to "cash out" and once I did, to choose another primary interest.

This is about all I buy now, Lima and Potosi 1/2 real real, two reales, and four reales; 86 coins covering four denominations

1758-tv37549529o.jpg

1758-tv37549529r.jpg

That sure is a beauty. Very cool to see a coin that old in perfect condition like that. Ive been thinking about eventually collecting world coins. There are some amazing designs out there. If I do I want to collect older ones that were sculpted by the amazingly talented engravers. I like a few moderns but it makes them more special when a computer dosent do the engravers work for them. I think its more of a piece of art when they had to actually chizel the designs out by hand. Even the ones carved in wax and reduced with a reducing machine are neat to me. The ones where a computer does all the guessing and working just arent the same. There are so many of the older world coins I really love. 

I know this is a coin forum but Ive been thinking really hard the past few days about starting a button collection. Ive been looking at several the past few days. If I do Im going to try and get a guide book first so Ill know what to look for. Ive really come to love alot of the various buttons from the 1700s and 1800s. And some of the early 1900s. Espically Civil War and Revolutionary War buttons. And some from other parts of the world. They caught my eye and it seems like something I could get into. Is there any other button collectors on here? I wont talk much about it since this is a coin forum. If I ever do start Ill make a thread in the water cooler about it. Ive also had my eye on the 1790s half penny condor tokens. Theres so many things Id love to collect. I need to calm down a little. Ive seen several of the circulated condor tokens at cheap prices. Same with the buttons. But what money is spent on those could be put back and saved up to get a nice coin. Im wanting to collect those things but Im trying to talk myself out of it also.  Lol. Has anyone ever had that problem before? Im afraid if I get to out of hand my old lady will skin me. She will get her old barb wire stick out on me again. Theres just so many different categories out there its hard not to go after a few different ones. So many amazing artist. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 12/7/2022 at 4:30 PM, Hoghead515 said:

That sure is a beauty. Very cool to see a coin that old in perfect condition like that. Ive been thinking about eventually collecting world coins. There are some amazing designs out there. 

Thanks.

Just be careful not to try to collect too much at once, unless you don't mind owning a bunch of random unrelated coins.

When I resumed collecting in 1998, I used the US Red Book to price what I could potentially afford for my estimated budget.  I put together spreadsheets of several series in various different grades: IHC, Barber nickels, Buffalo nickels, Mercury dimes as examples. 

I also looked in the 19th and 20th century Krause editions (the prices are totally wrong but didn't know it) to check what existed and which ones I liked. I also priced out South Africa Union and ZAR.

I ended up choosing South Africa Union as my primary series, a few type sets (Mexican pillars and Cap & Ray), and a partial US type set (which I never actively pursued).  

As I started buying coins, I added new ones to my list.  I still have one as a secondary collection (Spanish colonial quarter real, my avatar) but eventually, realized I was collecting above my financial capacity.

It just depends upon what collection you think you want to have.  If I had someone to pass my collection onto like you do, I'd be more active in my secondary collections, but I don't.  It's great that you can collect with your son, as it sounds like he is into the hobby and if so, his memories of collecting with you will be a factor in whether he continues to pursue it.

On 12/7/2022 at 5:13 PM, World Colonial said:

Thanks.

Just be careful not to try to collect too much at once, unless you don't mind owning a bunch of random unrelated coins.

When I resumed collecting in 1998, I used the US Red Book to price what I could potentially afford for my estimated budget.  I put together spreadsheets of several series in various different grades: IHC, Barber nickels, Buffalo nickels, Mercury dimes as examples. 

I also looked in the 19th and 20th century Krause editions (the prices are totally wrong but didn't know it) to check what existed and which ones I liked. I also priced out South Africa Union and ZAR.

I ended up choosing South Africa Union as my primary series, a few type sets (Mexican pillars and Cap & Ray), and a partial US type set (which I never actively pursued).  

As I started buying coins, I added new ones to my list.  I still have one as a secondary collection (Spanish colonial quarter real, my avatar) but eventually, realized I was collecting above my financial capacity.

It just depends upon what collection you think you want to have.  If I had someone to pass my collection onto like you do, I'd be more active in my secondary collections, but I don't.  It's great that you can collect with your son, as it sounds like he is into the hobby and if so, his memories of collecting with you will be a factor in whether he continues to pursue it.

I sure hope he does. Hes very interested right now but I hope he dont become bored with it. Maybe he can improve it and add to it. Im hoping to have him a good start. Wish id started years ago. I guess its better late than never. Both my sons seem to enjoy it for now. 

On 12/18/2022 at 9:43 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Its very cold here today. Dont want to go outside so I figured Id look at some of my coins. Ive been doing more organizing on certain sets. Id say everyone has their own way they like to organize their collections. I ended up digging all my quarters out of my safe today to try and organize it better.  I seen someone start a thread while back asking about what kind of boxes we use. Heres what works well for me. These boxes are very compact and stack easily. All the TPG certified holders fit in these easily, of course except for oversize holders. The small boxes will hold 10 slabs and the longer will hold 20. I really like these boxes where I dont have much room. They are found on Ebay. Most collectors on here already know about them but for new collectors who are interested make sure you get the right size. They make smaller sizes also for flips. The size of these (the shorter 10 slab holder) is 4.5in x 2.63in x 2.55in. If you do use these I recommend getting plastic protective sleeves to put each individual slab in to keep from scratching the holder. There are no slots for the coins to rest in. They touch face to face in these boxes. I use the protective sleeves and handle them very carefully and I dont have a bit of trouble with abrasive scratches. You can buy bags of 100 sleeves very cheap on EBAY also. I use the ones that enclose the entire slab. They have a fold over flap with an adheasive strip that sticks to itself. This method works very well for me. Not all collectors may not like it and use the more expensive boxes. To each their own. Ive yet to scratch a single slab using these boxes along with protective sleeves. They work very well for compact space. You can also write on them easily with a Sharpie or ink pen. Compress_20221218_094241_1434.thumb.jpg.8c94faf2d9394eb2d5709675c7eec664.jpgCompress_20221218_094219_9637.thumb.jpg.29e1c712012f1a78a314050e0aa6f1a9.jpg

I like those to HH, I prefer the longer ones (20 or so) but I have several of the short boxes as well. They stack better than those PCGS/NGS hard cases and accept a wider variety of slabs/flips (I pick up boxes that will hold 1.5x 1.5 SAFLIPS). They are also a heck of a lot cheaper. (thumbsu The sleeves are great suggestion as well, I don't have any for slabbed coins but they are pretty much a must for any slabbed banknotes, every slabbed banknote I own is in a protective sleeve to prevent scratching.  

Wanted to revive this thread and mention that I decide while back to collect farthings. Victorian era as for now. I been thinking for a long time on what type of foreign coinage I was gonna work on. I was trying to find something I liked that would be reasonable to build a set. Im not gonna go after graded coins on this set. Im just planning on doing a Whitman. Im planning on taking my time and picking the best possible coins I can find for it.  Eventually when Im finished Ill go for half pennies or pennies. Maybe even more modern farthings. Not sure yet. 

On 1/16/2023 at 2:48 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Wanted to revive this thread and mention that I decide while back to collect farthings. Victorian era as for now. I been thinking for a long time on what type of foreign coinage I was gonna work on. I was trying to find something I liked that would be reasonable to build a set. Im not gonna go after graded coins on this set. Im just planning on doing a Whitman. Im planning on taking my time and picking the best possible coins I can find for it.  Eventually when Im finished Ill go for half pennies or pennies. Maybe even more modern farthings. Not sure yet. 

...interesting choice, should give u fun n challenge without being terribly expensive...i once collected british 1/3 farthings when i didnt have a lot of excess discretionary money, was able to put together the set, minus one coin, in nice collectable grades for under $500 n only took bout 3 years n that was before the internet days....

Actually, that's not a bad photo considering. (thumbsu And it DOES look like a Bald Eagle.  On another thread I have photos of coins with the Australian Wedge-Tailed Eagle.

Is your smartphone/camera set to maximum resolution/pixels ?  I'm showing 836x900.  Max resolution should be the case for all pictures...you can awlays shrink them afterwards but tough to maintain resolution/clarity if you expand.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:07 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Actually, that's not a bad photo considering. (thumbsu And it DOES look like a Bald Eagle.  On another thread I have photos of coins with the Australian Wedge-Tailed Eagle.

Is your smartphone/camera set to maximum resolution/pixels ?  I'm showing 836x900.  Max resolution should be the case for all pictures...you can awlays shrink them afterwards but tough to maintain resolution/clarity if you expand.

Im not sure if it is or not. Ive never checked it. Ill may try and see if I can adjust it. I never was very good at stuff like that so I never did mess with it. 

On 1/16/2023 at 10:10 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Im not sure if it is or not. Ive never checked it. Ill may try and see if I can adjust it. I never was very good at stuff like that so I never did mess with it. 

I'm not a geek either....the Settings function on your smartphone/camera....my Rear picture size is 16:9 4032x2268 and the Front picture camera is 16:9 and 2640x1488; the Rear camera is the main one, the Front is for selfies I guess.

Different dimensions have different resolutions but if your display is 16:9 then the pictures are probably best in that format, too.

On 1/19/2023 at 10:56 AM, 1946Hamm said:

Like the late George Carlin used to say," We live to collect stuff."  Over the years I have accumulated a lot of stuff. Here is a list of most things I have. Coin collecting was what I focused on for some time and I made a list for my son to know some of what I have. After I'm gone he will have fun getting rid of it. I will be 77 in a month so he probably won't have to wait too long much longer.:roflmao:

img396.jpg

img397.jpg

img609.jpg

Very impressive collection. I bet it would be a blast to admire your invetory. Very cool. I bet thats several years of collecting. 

On 1/17/2023 at 12:34 PM, Hoghead515 said:

K. I sure will when I get in this evening. 

Hog, did you ever check your settings and confirm the anti-shake is ON and that you are using the default PHOTO settings and button (not the other dozen presets or whatever) ?

Also, did you get a mini-tripod for $12 or so ? (thumbsu

On 4/21/2023 at 9:53 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Hog, did you ever check your settings and confirm the anti-shake is ON and that you are using the default PHOTO settings and button (not the other dozen presets or whatever) ?

Also, did you get a mini-tripod for $12 or so ? (thumbsu

Not fooled with it yet. Been very busy lately. When i do get a break i been bout to lazy. Ill check it out one of these days.