• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this coin worth grading looks proof like
1 1

15 posts in this topic

No they made these by the millions  you can get one already graded for $10 -$20 which is cheaper then the fees to do it  yourself.

In fact, the mintage of 1964-D nickels was over 1.787 billion, which is still the highest mintage for any Jefferson nickel! Based on what I can see from your photos, this one has a retail value of at most a dollar or two, assuming it's uncirculated. You can buy uncertified uncirculated Jefferson nickels of many dates and mints going back to 1938 from dealers at coin shows or shops for prices ranging from 25 cents to $10 and store them safely and attractively in a Whitman or Dansco album (not folder) that I think can still be purchased for less than $25. Even the "key" 1939-D and 1942-D are relatively inexpensive in decent uncirculated grades. There's a lot less cost and space involved. I have a complete 1938-64 set, all uncirculated, in a Whitman album that I put together mostly in the 1970s and 80s.  The album has preserved the coins in the same condition as I purchased them.

If there are ANY 1964-D nickels worthy of being slabbed, they are few and far between. Maybe the ones (incorrectly) described as 1964SMS coins are worth it, but that’s because they are new strikes off of virgin dies, not because they are SMS. 

That which is common should seldom be in plastic. Competitive exhibit coins ( for aesthetic reasons) and registry coins are the only real exception. 

I have many nickels in my NGC Registry Set that are already in NGC or PCGS holders. When I  shop around most of the common ones that list out between $15 to $30 retail can be purchased for under $5 in a slab. So I see no need to send in coins unless they are in the $100 or more range and even then I would rather spend my grading money on a nicer sample coin for my set.  ;)

Edited by J P M

None of the replies have addressed the "looks proof like" portion if the thread title. If the coin merited a "PL" designation, it would be worth getting graded, though that doesn't appear to be the case, here. 

On 11/8/2022 at 7:58 AM, MarkFeld said:

None of the replies have addressed the "looks proof like" portion if the thread title. If the coin merited a "PL" designation, it would be worth getting graded, though that doesn't appear to be the case, here. 

Agreed. The OP has used the prooflike description ill-advisedly.