• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the weight tolerance of an NGC slab?

34 posts in this topic

The most recent slab design - does it have a tight tolerance on weight? Would it be appropriate to weigh two slabbed coins and conclude one is on a wrong planchet if the difference matches the difference in planchet weight? If anyone has a few recently slabbed halves and could weigh them and report back it would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Is there a new video out on the web saying there are a bunch of coins struck on the wrong planchet's?  (shrug) It does happen once in a blue moon but not a everyday occurrence. I am just guessing that if it is in a NGC or PCGS holder chances are it was looked at before it was placed in the holder.  Most TPG will not say what the holders weigh it helps to keep the counterfeiters guessing. You could always take it out of the holder and check it but you would loose any increased value the holder has given the coin with its grade. I don't think is is worth the chance.  ;) 

On 11/2/2022 at 7:57 AM, Taylor7 said:

The most recent slab design - does it have a tight tolerance on weight? Would it be appropriate to weigh two slabbed coins and conclude one is on a wrong planchet if the difference matches the difference in planchet weight? If anyone has a few recently slabbed halves and could weigh them and report back it would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Wow, now you have a possible incorrect planchet in an NGC slab and the graders failed to notice such a significant find? After all of the accurate information you received (and ignored) from your last inquiry regarding your clad 1971-D that you insisted was 40% silver, I'm surprised you trust the group to provide the info you want to hear.

This should be fun :popcorn:

Edited by Oldhoopster

Wow such hostility when asking such a simple question. Coin grade doesn’t add much value I’ll probably just crack it out so I can really verify it with the specific gravity test you all insist is the standard. 

interesting though how it’s a DDR (which is why I submitted it) but after getting it back and being confused/disappointed by the lack of attribution, further inspection revealed the reverse is not the 1965 SMS FS-801 but rather the 1964 business strike DDR FS-801. 

I don’t think this is coincidental. ;)

0.83g is the difference between the two. 

I’m sure the graders noticed. Why it wasn’t attributed is a different matter entirely. Get it? Different matter… I’ll show myself out. 

so from my searching I don’t see any known examples of a 90% silver ‘65 half. The quarters go for up to $20k right? What do you think a half would go for? :roflmao:

On 11/2/2022 at 11:24 AM, Taylor7 said:

Wow such hostility when asking such a simple question. Coin grade doesn’t add much value I’ll probably just crack it out so I can really verify it with the specific gravity test you all insist is the standard. 

interesting though how it’s a DDR (which is why I submitted it) but after getting it back and being confused/disappointed by the lack of attribution, further inspection revealed the reverse is not the 1965 SMS FS-801 but rather the 1964 business strike DDR FS-801. 

I’m sure the graders noticed. Why it wasn’t attributed is a different matter entirely. Get it? Different matter… I’ll show myself out. 

so from my searching I don’t see any known examples of a 90% silver ‘65 half. The quarters go for up to $20k right? What do you think a half would go for? :roflmao:

th.jpeg.dac1b9fd8d431a2ffe9e4767b9999ffe.jpeg

Taylor7, you do NOT have a wrong planchet coin. Not even one, of ANY date or denomination or composition. You are merely severely deluded. Get a grip, man. 

I see no reason why there would be a weight tolerance for slabs, they weigh what they weigh and it makes no difference to the manufacturer.  There are many variables that could and most likely do affect the weight. There is no reason whatsoever to suspect a 90% silver planchet.

Edited by l.cutler

Youd have a better chance at winning the powerball than finding a coin struck on the wrong planchet. Espically one in a NGC holder. If it were one they would have caught it. They are pros. They know more about coins than the ones putting these videos out telling people they got one in their pocket. 

Edited by Hoghead515

How about a standard weight for slab inserts --- and also for printing on the inserts --- and bug legs ---- and sneeze debris ---- and fingerprints.

When weighting coins to the fraction of a grain, every one of the above will become critical.

Now -- returning to reality.

:)

In my collection of slabbed coins, there are OBVIOUSLY different weights of many reasons. Fatties, finger inserts, non-finger inserts, various materials, different thicknesses. This OP is starting to “urine” me off, if I’m being honest. He’s clearly delusional. 

There is no reason whatsoever to suspect a 90% silver planchet.

No. Reason. Whatsoever. Go make up tests to your warped little brain’s content. You’re nuts. 

Now if you were Taylor SWIFT, I might babble on about how terminally cute you are, and we could swap old Wyomissing, PA stories, but unless that’s the case, I’m out. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/2/2022 at 11:24 AM, Taylor7 said:

I have examples of all three SMS coin sets and on all of them the half dollar does not show a copper edge. So should I crack them out and send them in??????? NOOOO...It does not mean they are silver. You can see they are clad just by looking at them. Searching for the goose that laid the golden egg can be fun but sometimes it just leads you on a wild goose chase.  

3 SMS Sets.jpg

The outer layers of ALL 1965-1970 half dollars are 80% silver. No, not 40%, 80%. EIGHTY PERCENT. The inside layer is 20.9% silver (memory only).

Imagine being so arrogant you think you know the metallurgic composition of every coin in someone else’s collection, and also calling that someone else delusional. 

but I think you actually might be right, it’s not a wrong planchet, that implies an error, given the reverse die is a ‘64 it seems to me it’s a prototype or pattern or trial piece (whats the difference, anyway?). 

I’m not jumping to conclusions or offering this for sale yet though, just asking what the tolerance of a slabs weight is and noting the two slabs weigh .83g different! 

Why does this upset you so much?

all I asked was what your recently graded halves weigh in their slabs. If you have some lying around and a scale just help a fellow collector out with useful data. 

obviously wrong planchets are super rare errors else they wouldn’t be so valuable

if you believe they are so rare it’s pointless to look for them well then there is zero chance you fill find one. You can’t possibly know what I do and don’t have. THAT is insane

JPM, 

if you weighed each set and there was a 1g difference between the two in their holders then yes, crack them out! 

Not arrogance. EXPERIENCE! Both with coins and with people who suffer from delusions of grandeur. Six decades of experience with coins, and EVERY DAY SINCE I FIRST GOT AN INTERNET ACCOUNT experience with people with delusions of grandeur. 

If it were a pattern piece NGC would have known it. Thats a pretty big deal. They would have contacted you before they slabbed it. These guys know what they are doing. Theres not just one or two graders. There are several who each one inspects the coin individually. Several of the most qualified coin experts in the world carefully examined it. Its what the label on the slab says it is. 

On 11/2/2022 at 7:43 PM, Taylor7 said:

Imagine being so arrogant you think you know the metallurgic composition of every coin in someone else’s collection, and also calling that someone else delusional. 

but I think you actually might be right, it’s not a wrong planchet, that implies an error, given the reverse die is a ‘64 it seems to me it’s a prototype or pattern or trial piece (whats the difference, anyway?). 

I’m not jumping to conclusions or offering this for sale yet though, just asking what the tolerance of a slabs weight is and noting the two slabs weigh .83g different! 

all I asked was what your recently graded halves weigh in their slabs. If you have some lying around and a scale just help a fellow collector out with useful data. 

obviously wrong planchets are super rare errors else they wouldn’t be so valuable

if you believe they are so rare it’s pointless to look for them well then there is zero chance you fill find one. You can’t possibly know what I do and don’t have. THAT is insane

JPM, 

if you weighed each set and there was a 1g difference between the two in their holders then yes, crack them out! 

Sorry VKurtB I was a bit off base on the Half's..they are 40% but not 90%  The point I am trying to get across Taylor is there are to many half truths out there in cyberspace now days. Coming to this forum and listening to the years of knowledge here is much more practical than you will find anywhere.  

Edited by J P M

This bird has established a new all-time low on the credibility scale. And he should be PROUD of that accomplishment, given the target rich environment the internet provides us. 

You cant get a proper weight of the coin in plastic. Several factors can make one slab to the next weigh differently. Heres an example I just done. 2 nickels in identical NGC slabs. A 1958 d and a 1951d. Both ms66. Dont trust junk science videos or things you see on You Tube.Lumii_20221102_200649941.thumb.jpg.a90b106b05cb4f5fc66b8f59f6dc7eb3.jpgLumii_20221102_200633948.thumb.jpg.901de1c2e6266f38945aa79f4c166429.jpg

Edited by Hoghead515

New world record for making up things to test or examine that are completely useless for any purpose whatsoever, much less being dispositive. 

You said

given the reverse die is a ‘64 it seems to me it’s a prototype or pattern or trial piece (whats the difference, anyway?). 

How did you determine that your 1965 SMS has a reverse Of 1964?  I have never heard of such a variety and found nothIng doing an internet search.  Can you please provide a reference or something so we can understand what you're claiming?  

On 11/3/2022 at 11:39 AM, Oldhoopster said:

You said

Not being arrogant.  Just understanding the likelihood of you having what you claim.  It's an easy bet to say that NGC didn't miss a transitional error in a coin that they slabbed.  I was certain I had the winning lotto ticket, but sometimes probability and reality work against you

Regarding delusional, normally this is just hyperbole, but one just needs to look at your previous post on the 1971-D half.  You claimed that the XRF data was inaccurate because somebody was plotting against you and the data was hacked (never mind that the handheld XRF doesn't use the internet).  Then you completely ignored pics of the edge that undeniably showed a copper clad core.  All the time insisting that you had a rare coin because of some spurious tests.  If that wasn't delusional, we may need a new definition.

Based on the credibility (or lack thereof) that you've built, I don't think the term delusional is off base

Because coming on these boards, making delusional claims, failing to consider feedback from numerous experienced collectors, and posting questionable and spurious data as proof, does nothing more than confuse new collectors.  The same ones many of us are trying to help to learn and grow in the hobby.  Continuing to push your nonsense claims is confusing and detrimental to these people

And we won't even go into the $13,700 scam you were trying to pull.  What if you did find a sucker , er buyer for your misattributed error?  Then what?

You can’t possibly know what I do and don’t have. THAT is insane

No, but based on your numismatic knowledge and information that you shared, it shouldn't be too difficult to estimate exactly what you DON'T have.  

Look at it this way. If he’s NOT delusional, the lesser option here, then he’s a 100% flim flam con artist. Take your pick. It has to be one or the other. He probably has his very own YouTube channel. 

Personally, I think it's someone trolling the board. I don't think anyone can be this clueless when presented with such overwhelmingly obvious information.

I know we should just ignore trolls like this, and I'm probably more guilty than most for responding to this junk.  I just wish we would get more help from admin to keep trolls from posting confusing and nonsensical information.  They did get rid of slick coins last year (and he moved to another board and made a mockery for a while). Sorry

On 11/3/2022 at 1:34 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Personally, I think it's someone trolling the board. I don't think anyone can be this clueless when presented with such overwhelmingly obvious information.

I know we should just ignore trolls like this, and I'm probably more guilty than most for responding to this junk.  I just wish we would get more help from admin to keep trolls from posting confusing and nonsensical information.  They did get rid of slick coins last year (and he moved to another board and made a mockery for a while). Sorry

Don't be Sorry , Slick was a hard pill to swallow. Just when you think you were helping him out of a problem he would come up with another. 

On 11/3/2022 at 2:51 PM, J P M said:

Don't be Sorry , Slick was a hard pill to swallow. Just when you think you were helping him out of a problem he would come up with another. 

Slick, and Taylor, and to a lesser extent Harry, are emblematic of the beginning of the demise of this once-great hobby. I can’t fully decide whether they are perpetrators or victims of the Internet culture, epitomized by the book, The Death of Expertise. So many ignorant people out there pretending to have half a clue what they’re talking about, when they don’t. “Democratized Access” is just the triumph of the hopelessly clueless. At least Twitter has the sense to lie to us daily about being a news source. Everyone knows it’s merely an ideological echo chamber masquerading as democracy. 

Edited by VKurtB