• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In What Set(s) Can a Mint State 1856 Flying Eagle Cent be Counted?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

In each Flying Eagle Cent set listed, whether MS or Proof or a combination, I see for 1856 dated coins that ONLY proof coins are allowed. I now own one graded as a business strike, not a Proof coin. Where can it be entered? Separately, I’m hoping the “points” for this very expensive coin can then also be added to my total points of all coins owned.

Thanks.

Steve

• Administrator

Hello, and thanks for your interest. NGC only recognizes 1856 Flying Eagle cents as PF. If you have a PCGS coin you would like to enter into the NGC Registry, it will be recognized only as Proof.

So does that mean if I enter my coin, even though it's not a Proof coin, it will be allowed to fill a slot in my set, and I would get the points as well? (Of all of the versions of the 1856 Flying Eagle Cent, only the "S-3" version is considered not Proof. All others are Proof)

Thanks.

Steve

• Administrator
On 11/2/2022 at 3:14 PM, Winesteven said:

So does that mean if I enter my coin, even though it's not a Proof coin, it will be allowed to fill a slot in my set, and I would get the points as well? (Of all of the versions of the 1856 Flying Eagle Cent, only the "S-3" version is considered not Proof. All others are Proof)

Thanks.

Steve

It will receive the same points as any NGC 1856 Proof Flying Eagle cent. Thank you.

On 11/7/2022 at 5:19 PM, Ali E. said:

It will receive the same points as any NGC 1856 Proof Flying Eagle cent. Thank you.

On 11/7/2022 at 5:19 PM, Ali E. said:

But I received a notice from NGC after trying to add it to my Flying Eagle set that it could NOT be added, and no points were added anywhere, including my total overall points, presently slightly higher than 1,000,000. Please advise, as I am now confused. Thanks so VERY much.

Steve

Edited by Winesteven

Have you tried when using the "Add to Sets" function in your coin list and it doesn't show any eligible sets, clicking on the "I'm looking for something else" that appears in blue at the bottom of the dialog box?  It should take you through steps to indicate the category, set and exact slot in which you wish to place the coin. Your specific request will then be referred to an administrator.  (I assume that this is the first slot in your set under "Flying Eagle Cents, 1856-1858, Circulation and Proof Issues".  It's a nice set!)

I assume that you're trying to add the coin while you're looking at the set itself. Try opening the "My Competitive Coins" panel on the left side of the page. Go to the coin in question and clicking the green "+" in a circle in the "Add to Sets" column at the far right.  I just tried this for a Hard Times token in my list, for which there is currently no competitive set, and instead of the dialog box I described before there was one saying the following:

"The competitive NGC Registry doesn't accept this coin yet. This often means that the coin is new. If you think this coin should be accepted, let us know."

Click on the "let us know", which should be lit in blue.  This should take you through the categories, set, and slot in which you want to place the coin, which will be referred to the administrator.

I hope this helps.