• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction Fail

16 posts in this topic

I won a bid on a Carson City mint Morgan earlier that I thought I was missing from my complete set and was pretty happy with myself as I got it for a pretty good price. That is until I realized I had already purchased that coin and had entered it in my digital log, as well as a written checklist/log I keep with the collection but forgot to update my "want list". Doh!

[I forgot to follow Santa Clause's lead of "making a list" and "checking it twice:grin:

Oh well, at least it was a bit of an upgrade. I guess I will be listing the lower grade one for sale which I also got for a pretty good price so it should be no problem selling it.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/31/2022 at 1:33 AM, EagleRJO said:

I won a bid on a Carson City mint Morgan earlier that I thought I was missing from my complete set and was pretty happy with myself as I got it for a pretty good price. That is until I realized I had already purchased that coin and had entered it in my digital log, as well as a written checklist/log I keep with the collection but forgot to update my "want list". Doh!

[I forgot to follow Santa Clause's lead of "making a list" and "checking it twice:grin:

Oh well, at least it was a bit of an upgrade. I guess I will be listing the lower grade one for sale which I also got for a pretty good price so it should be no problem selling it.

One things for sure tho. You can never get to many CCs. Ive done the same thing as well. Ive got 2 1960 quarters and 2 1955. I also keep a written checklist. I write the cert number, which TPG graded it, and the grade itself. I keep several list of different denominations. Ive got all the dates and mints wrote in order and I write them in as I get them. 

Yea, I log everything and even write some of it down again with a checklist I keep with the collection after I have the coin in hand and carefully check the condition and grade ... date, mint, description, grade, who graded it, cost, where I got it, etc. But I also keep a short list of less common or more expensive coins I am actively looking for, or a "want list". I forgot to cross this coin off my "want list" which ended with the "unintentional upgrade". :grin:

On 10/31/2022 at 7:04 PM, EagleRJO said:

Yea, I log everything and even write some of it down again with a checklist I keep with the collection after I have the coin in hand and carefully check the condition and grade ... date, mint, description, grade, who graded it, cost, where I got it, etc. But I also keep a short list of less common or more expensive coins I am actively looking for, or a "want list". I forgot to cross this coin off my "want list" which ended with the "unintentional upgrade". :grin:

I also keep 2 list. One with the price also. I keep in a fire proof safe in case ever needed for insurance purposes. Then I keep the ones below in a 5 star notebook. 20221031_191406.thumb.jpg.9d5a6412019a91480e089b35c3766d56.jpg20221031_191420.thumb.jpg.3f7b766cabe587959f50f951f20a2dcf.jpg20221031_191213.thumb.jpg.1547460f2a85b1fe4ac4e1da358de92c.jpg

On 10/31/2022 at 7:18 PM, EagleRJO said:

@Hoghead515you need to get a computer with a back-up hard drive to keep in that fire-proof safe! [duck] :baiting::roflmao:

I never learned how to use one. The closest thing to a computer I got is my phone. I cant hardly even turn one on. 

On 10/31/2022 at 7:24 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I never learned how to use one. The closest thing to a computer I got is my phone. I cant hardly even turn one on. 

After I tore my sisters computer up I was afraid to get one. Several years ago she gave big money for one those Dell computers. I was trying to learn to use it. One those adds popped up on the screen. I said," Shoot yeah Ill take a free McDonalds gift card!!!!" I clicked on it and some kind of trojan virus fried the thing. She was very mad. I had to buy her another one. Since then I figured it was to much of a headache. Im afraid ill destroy it with one click like I did hers.

Edited by Hoghead515

So much for that gift card! But even then, it's usually only a restore or at worst a factory reset/recovery with a back-up. I would give it another try. Attached is a simple back-up drive I use and keep in the fire safe for peace of mind.

Back-Up Hard Drive.jpg