• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 S quarter
2 2

32 posts in this topic

Congrats brother. I think those coins that grab you from the start are usually good buys and if you don’t pull the trigger it will eat at ya. Most of the time they are even better in hand. I’m no grader by any means but it looks solid at 66. Looks to have good luster potential and the few hits I do see are hidden mostly in the wings. Grease spot on the right wing? Obverse looks pretty clean. I wouldn’t kick her out. I like it. Kudos. :golfclap:

On 10/30/2022 at 9:22 PM, Lem E said:

Congrats brother. I think those coins that grab you from the start are usually good buys and if you don’t pull the trigger it will eat at ya. Most of the time they are even better in hand. I’m no grader by any means but it looks solid at 66. Looks to have good luster potential and the few hits I do see are hidden mostly in the wings. Grease spot on the right wing? Obverse looks pretty clean. I wouldn’t kick her out. I like it. Kudos. :golfclap:

Kinda looks like a grease spot. When she comes in Ill verify it. Ill come back to this thread and update with a in hand opinion. I like it very much just from the pictures. That light golden toning just does something to me. I love coins like that. Espically if its even toning all the way around.  That one is close. Ill be happy with it. Theres a few Im gonna try and replace as soon as I complete the set. A few I got in a hurry on and regretting it now. 

66 works for me. Nice looking coin!   What type of set are you trying to put together?  All AU or mint state?  A mix of circulated and mint state?  I like consistent looking complete sets when possible.   The complete set part, is not very easy to achieve unfortunately.

On 10/31/2022 at 3:46 PM, tj96 said:

66 works for me. Nice looking coin!   What type of set are you trying to put together?  All AU or mint state?  A mix of circulated and mint state?  I like consistent looking complete sets when possible.   The complete set part, is not very easy to achieve unfortunately.

Im trying from 32 to 64. All mint state except for key dates. One these days I may try replace the key dates with mint state but no time soon. 

On 10/31/2022 at 4:06 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Im trying from 32 to 64. All mint state except for key dates. One these days I may try replace the key dates with mint state but no time soon. 

Great!  That will be a good looking set for sure.

On 10/31/2022 at 5:20 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Ive been working pretty hard on it. Ive got well over half of them. It turned out to be a bigger project than I thought it would be. But Im very happy with myself to have done what I have so far. 

I did the same thing several years ago.  I stayed laser focused for about 5 years on that album.   You (in my opinion) have to stay focused.  It's to damn easy to get side tracked in this hobby.  When I first started, I was only looking for 32-64 Dansco.  The only one I could find on-line (eBay) at the time was a 32 thru 80, so I bought it.  My goal was mint state, problem free coins.  I ended up with all mint state. Many were broken out of slabs.  The 32-D & S are only AU's. 

Stick with with it, you will get there.  It's all about the journey.

I keep mine all the way to the current date -‘32 to now, all BU and Proof Only S. Four holes remaining, all on Page 1. All at least triple digit cost. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/31/2022 at 5:45 PM, VKurtB said:

I keep mine all the way to the current date -‘32 to now, all BU and Proof Only S. Four holes remaining, all on Page 1. 

'32 to now??   Man, that's a lot of coins!!

EDIT:  How many pages is that?

Edited by tj96

On 10/31/2022 at 5:45 PM, VKurtB said:

I keep mine all the way to the current date -‘32 to now, all BU and Proof Only S. Four holes remaining, all on Page 1. 

Those 4 are the killers. Also the 1950 d/s and s/d. For some reason they are the only variaties in the set on NGCs registry. I asked about them one time in the "ask NGC" forum and I was told they felt they were important enough to be included in the set. Thats why I bought those while back in an auction. Got a good deal on both of them. They are heavily circulated but they are very expensive in mint shape. 

On 10/31/2022 at 5:56 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m moving much of my lesser value collection (in Dansco albums) to a new spot in my house. New shelves built in. Every slabbed coin worth over $250 is going offsite. We have a wicked security system in a very low crime town, but my wife is as good a shot as I am. 

...butch n sundance in arab 'bama...who knew?....

On 10/31/2022 at 5:15 PM, zadok said:

...butch n sundance in arab 'bama...who knew?....

She’s da Kid. Every bit as much as Gene Wilder. 

On 10/31/2022 at 6:22 PM, tj96 said:

Wow!

One for classic, two for States, one for Possessions, two for Parks, and soon one for Women. SEVEN in all. Not even counting the ones for “Standers” and “Barbers”. Lots of holes still in the older ones. I want VF and up in those. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/31/2022 at 7:31 PM, VKurtB said:

One for classic, two for States, one for Possessions, two for Parks, and soon one for Women. SEVEN in all. Not even counting the ones for “Standers” and “Barbers”.

I hope to have an impressive collection like that one these days. Id say I never will due to the prices skyrocketing. Wish I coulda started back in the glory days. Very cool collection Kurt. I would be very happy to accomplish putting together a collection like that. 

On 10/31/2022 at 6:37 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I hope to have an impressive collection like that one these days. Id say I never will due to the prices skyrocketing. Wish I coulda started back in the glory days. Very cool collection Kurt. I would be very happy to accomplish putting together a collection like that. 

Finding Barber quarters with enough “meat” on them is tough. It’s a series to just keep one’s eyes open at shows and not obsess over. 

On 10/30/2022 at 9:22 PM, Lem E said:

That must have been a spot on the camera or something. The coin is almost flawless in hand. Theres no spot at all looking at it in hand. 

On 11/3/2022 at 5:02 PM, Hoghead515 said:

That must have been a spot on the camera or something. The coin is almost flawless in hand. Theres no spot at all looking at it in hand. 

That’s even better. I’d rather it be clean than have the grease spot. Glad it is a winner.