• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEWPS - 1970 PROOF SET PIECES
2 2

23 posts in this topic

@Lem E:

Nice acquisitions, all.  I want you to level with me, since I've never had an MS-69, anything, were you at all curious to find out exactly what the culprit was that resulted in the one-point deficit on the quarter?

On 10/22/2022 at 8:24 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Lem E:

Nice acquisitions, all.  I want you to level with me, since I've never had an MS-69, anything, were you at all curious to find out exactly what the culprit was that resulted in the one-point deficit on the quarter?

Thanks QA. There are 2 very light marks in the fields and one on the neck on the obverse of the quarter. 

[To any newbies (and curious lurkers loitering about):

This is what we mean when we say save your money for something you can really be proud of. 

These fifty-year-plus old coins comprise the best of the best of all such coins evaluated to date.  Their universe is fairly finite. Their mintages as proofs are known.  Not all 1970 U.S. coins from proof sets can grade as highly. A common problem with many vintage sets was carbon-spotting. Many, too, were improperly stored.  These are truly magnificent in every sense of the word.]  :golfclap:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: add closing bracket.

On 10/24/2022 at 5:59 AM, Hoghead515 said:

I do to. I always enjoy seeing the coins you post. You got one of the sweetest collections Ive seen. 

Thanks brother.

You have quite a lot of amazingly toned coins Lem, particularly the nickels you have collected in your NGC Jefferson Nickel Registry Set here ... [Set Details | NGC Registry | NGC (ngccoin.com)]

From skimming through your NGC Set I'm pretty jelly and actually thought of starting a similar set, but I have my hands full with a complete Morgan set I am working on and some gold coins I have been looking to add to the collection.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/27/2022 at 10:51 AM, numisport said:

These coins are very attractive high end coins to say the least. However they are not rare and maybe not even scarce. With that said where is the half dollar and cent ?

Maybe the half was a nice Cameo or UC, and maybe the cent was a small date proof?

On 10/27/2022 at 10:51 AM, numisport said:

These coins are very attractive high end coins to say the least. However they are not rare and maybe not even scarce. With that said where is the half dollar and cent ?

I did a little digging when I acquired these pieces. I was also curious to see if I could find the companion coins to this set. I found that this particular collector had a custom set on Collectors Society which contained 2 1970 proof sets. (10 coins) Unfortunately there were no pictures and the last activity on the set was back in 2014. I happened to run across one of the Kennedy half dollars that sold at GC. I’m not sure if it came from the same set that my new coins are from or the other set. I would like to see what the other coins look like myself. Here is a link to the Kennedy.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1208842/1970-S-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-NGC-Proof-68-Pendergraft-Collection-Toned

Re: the half dollar and its toning, speaking strictly of my personal preferences, allow me to say, “Ew.”

On 10/27/2022 at 2:57 PM, VKurtB said:

Re: the half dollar and its toning, speaking strictly of my personal preferences, allow me to say, “Ew.”

I agree with you there. It’s not as attractive as the other coins.

On 10/27/2022 at 1:12 PM, EagleRJO said:

You have quite a lot of amazingly toned coins Lem, particularly the nickels you have collected in your NGC Jefferson Nickel Registry Set here ... [Set Details | NGC Registry | NGC (ngccoin.com)]

From skimming through your NGC Set I'm pretty jelly and actually thought of starting a similar set, but I have my hands full with a complete Morgan set I am working on and some gold coins I have been looking to add to the collection.

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it very much. It has been a fun collection to put together. A lot of the toned coins are now residing in the second set as I upgrade.  There are still a few toners in the main set but not near as many as before.