• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Har Har Har yeah right…,
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Fake GSA holder is a nice touch.  But you know someone is out there spending their hard earned money on it.:censored:

The site is also selling 1916D Merc Dimes in PCGS AU58 holders - $19.95, and if you buy five you get five free.  (tsk)

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 10/21/2022 at 9:47 PM, Sandon said:

The illustrations are presumably "stock photos" of a genuine coin.  I doubt that's what you would get!

The Chinese have been knocking off both the coins and holders, which are not sealed and contain a cardboard insert ...

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/counterfeit-1881-cc-dollar-appears-in-fabrica.html

You would either get a counterfeit, garbage or nothing. :eyeroll:

Buyer beware!

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/22/2022 at 9:13 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

And it’s not just GSA holders

There are even more insidious ones where they knock off the NGC/PCGS holders with a legit bar code and then put a much lower grade legit coin or a counterfeit coin in the fake holder. Look at any slab and coin carefully, including the markers and grade.

I even called the secret service, as they are the organization that police’s this fraudulent activity. A nice lady said when a foreign country floods the market with counterfeits, they said they had no authority on a foreign country . I have three counterfeits. One is a very nice Morgan that I actually sent in for grading and it came back “NOT GENUINE”. The other two I knew were fake but bought them anyway, and got a refund from PayPal for fraudulent coins. There are a ton out there. We have to be very wary of Chinese knock offs. I haven’t bought many raw coins as a result and only from a seller that will stand behind their coins.

On 10/25/2022 at 5:35 AM, Hoghead515 said:

I cant understand why the FBI or some other orginization dont go after these fake websites and shut them down. Its like they wont even try. 

The Secret Service is now under the Department of Homeland Security, no longer the Treasury Department as they had been. They have outright stated that fake collectible coins are NOT a priority, while faked contemporary paper currency is. 

I think US Customs is working with the Treasury Dept to at least try and crack down on the issue as any time I order anything coin related from overseas it gets held up at Customs for quite a while and has often been opened and re-sealed. When I inquired why it was talking so long to clear Customs and packages were opened, I was told they are checking anything coin related for counterfeits. I think that's a good thing, so I am okay with waiting for a bit for these packages.

[I have also heard that there are quite a few coin experts in the field working with Treasury and Customs on this issue recently, including a prety well know guy from one LCS I deal with for some raw coins.]

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/25/2022 at 1:54 PM, EagleRJO said:

I think US Customs is working with the Treasury Dept to at least try and crack down on the issue as any time I order anything coin related from overseas it gets held up at Customs for quite a while and has often been opened and re-sealed. When I inquired why it was talking so long to clear Customs and packages were opened, I was told they are checking anything coin related for counterfeits. I think that's a good thing, so I am okay with waiting for a bit for these packages.

[I have also heard that there are quite a few coin experts in the field working with Treasury and Customs on this issue recently, including a prety well know guy from one LCS I deal with for some raw coins.]

Yes, this is true. The Secret Service has “outsourced” coin counterfeiting expertise to the private sector. Why? Because they can and they don’t care enough about it to staff in-house for it. 

On 10/26/2022 at 9:37 AM, ronnie stein said:

The 'Dollar' parents naming their children Morgan is the coolest name ever. ----- I wish someone in the Treasury Dept or Secret Service was an avid enough of a hobbyist to call whoever they contracted to do the counterfeit investigating to look into a few of the scammers who are making so much money. That 1878 Morgan MS68 is over the top unbearable to look at. I have a cousin who was a big dog at the Treasury in Kansas City for decades. He worked 3 years past when he could have retired because he enjoyed his job so much. One of our family reunions is in Overland Park Ks this March during spring break, I can't wait to discuss counterfeiting with him. (Instead of typing Secret Service I originally abbreviated as SS, it just didn't look right. LOL)

It seldom does.