• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

English Gold Coin Hoard

10 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2022 at 6:20 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Be lucky to find a parking lot cent eat up with zinc rot and PVC damage under my kitchen floor. That was a very cool find. Congrats to them!!!!  Thats a very interesting story. 

That is term i was looking for! Zinc Rot. I am finding so many 2022 cents with zinc rot spots already. 

Funny story involving 1929 Saints and England....a couple of guys joked that 40 of the coins had been found in England (this was the early-1980's I believe) and it reached Walter Breen who took it and ran with it apparently.  Steven Fenton (of 1933 Saint fame) and a few others were the jokesters and for a while folks assumed it was real. xD

Not sure if it depressed 1929 prices for a while.

I could only imagine the feeling of unearthing something like that!! Heck, I was happier than a pig in slop when I tore out a bathroom wall and found my best carpenter hammer inside the wall!  I guess it was a late night project, with too many adult beverages, when I built the original wall..... :whistle:

I was conversing with some Double Eagle collectors and was told about the Hackney Hoard in England back in 2010.  This was before I was really following Saints and Double Eagles.

They were found in a garden in Hackney, England.  There were 80 DEs from 1854-1913.  the coins gradually increase in number across the decades from 1870 to 1909 (13 coins from 1870-9; 14 from 1880-89; 18 from 1890-99; and 25 from 1900-9).

The coins were buried by a Jewish family fearing a Nazi Germany invasion of Britain.  They had fled Nazi Germany a few years earlier.  The coins were buried....family members who knew the last buried location were killed during The Blitz....surviving family members didn't know where the 2 jars of coins were buried.  Descendants were tracked down in 2010 and given the coins.