• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BamPaws CC Morgan's as requested..

16 posts in this topic

Thanks JPM...the cool part is the story behind it though...the man who this belonged to was born an orphan, was adopted, grew up dirt poor in Oklahoma and Kansas, worked in the CCC camps during the depression, joined the Military, went through WWII, the Korean War, educated himself after the war, became an engineer developing and testing missile systems...retired from the military, continued as a Civil engineer working on Missile systems, the last being the Patriots....deteriorated and declined in health to what could be closest described as Parkinsons...this collection came from a few dollars saved here and there, not wealth and privilege...along the way he married my grandmother and adopted my father....he was friends with my dads dad..a Marine Raider killed overseas...yeah... the story has no value, but is cooler than the coins...

On 10/13/2022 at 6:13 PM, Liam ll said:

Thanks JPM...the cool part is the story behind it though...the man who this belonged to was born an orphan, was adopted, grew up dirt poor in Oklahoma and Kansas, worked in the CCC camps during the depression, joined the Military, went through WWII, the Korean War, educated himself after the war, became an engineer developing and testing missile systems...retired from the military, continued as a Civil engineer working on Missile systems, the last being the Patriots....deteriorated and declined in health to what could be closest described as Parkinsons...this collection came from a few dollars saved here and there, not wealth and privilege...along the way he married my grandmother and adopted my father....he was friends with my dads dad..a Marine Raider killed overseas...yeah... the story has no value, but is cooler than the coins...

The story is the biggest value to me. Your grandpa was smart enough to pick up things through the years when he could. I am from the working class construction worker. I only collect what I can afford to.  

On 10/14/2022 at 4:14 PM, EagleRJO said:

Have you been logging the coins from the hoard in a spreadsheet or sortable list as you are going through them? I can't imagine sitting down and trying to do that all at once with so many coins.

This is a good idea.  I am not sure about how you feel about the NGC registry, but you can catalog all of your NGC and PCGS coins simply by scanning them in with your phone.  You do not have to display your collection at all if you do not wish, but you will have all the details and a price guide value ( values are usually a little high).

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Keep in mind he has a mix of graded and raw coins, so he would need to create a custom registry set which is not as automated or user friendly. I ran into that when I started a custom registry set for my complete Morgan collection which is almost all raw coins. I ended up switching to a spreadsheet and have created similar ones for coins I already had or have since added which are almost all raw also.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/14/2022 at 12:50 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Lovin' me some Bampaw!<3

I think it's amusing that (evidently) my somewhat tongue-in-cheek reference term for Everyone's Numismatic Grandpa has now taken on a life and gets tacked onto an actual set.

On 10/15/2022 at 12:03 PM, JKK said:

I think it's amusing that (evidently) my somewhat tongue-in-cheek reference term for Everyone's Numismatic Grandpa has now taken on a life and gets tacked onto an actual set.

Sounds a little like getting a dog’s foot caught in the car door. 

On 10/15/2022 at 1:03 PM, JKK said:

Agree @JKK... But @Liam ll's Bampaw's got it going-on.  :acclaim:

On 10/13/2022 at 3:45 PM, J P M said:

The story is the biggest value to me. Your grandpa was smart enough to pick up things through the years when he could. I am from the working class construction worker. I only collect what I can afford to.  

Since you know morgan silver dollars I wanted to ask you a question about a coin I worked two jobs to afford to buy for my dad and that coin is a 1893 s morgan silver dollar. I paid $3100 dollars for it and the question is it genuine or is it a fake? I read what the NGC put out on this coin and they say its supposed to have a die scratch above the T in liberty but I don't see a die scratch. 

20221017_000535.jpg

20221017_000608.jpg

You would be better served to start a new thread and share your questions with the others in the forum who have far more experience with them than I do. I simply posted a few Morgans that I have currently. I do believe that they will agree that authenticity can't be determined by a photo, and cost is subjective to depending on the dealership or marketplace purchased from. But, seriously, submit your questions on a new thread and you will be advised far more than I am able to offer.+