• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often do you have coins regurgentated.....
2 2

26 posts in this topic

I was going to go get that guy who speaks, ex cathedra, on such matters, but that won't be necessary.  [Quiet is kept, I did not think the quest undertaken by another member to have his graded coin enhanced with a 5FS designation had a snowball's chance in hell, but who was I to say? If I had the coin in hand maybe I would have felt differently. Whether "ungrateful" or "impolite," I am just not the litigious type. That's just me.]  🐓 

I have had coins regraded several times. Coins in older holders before designations such FB, FBL, FT and FS to name a few. I am also of the opinion that quite a few of the old holder coins were graded much more conservatively than they are today. I have also submitted quite a few as crossovers as well.

I personally am of the belief that graders are not experts in all series of coins that they grade. I know several collectors, including myself, that will wait for some times up to a year in hopes of getting a different grader. I have also seen it pay off handsomely for some.

On 10/13/2022 at 7:57 PM, Simple Collector said:

I am also of the opinion that quite a few of the old holder coins were graded much more conservatively than they are today.

Agreed. So much for the TPG promise of stability and ability to buy accurately graded coins sight-unseen.

I think I've had a grand total of three to four coins re-certified in the last twenty years or so, and one of those was the infamous Norweb Hibernia - technically not a regrade but a reholder that took the invalid Norweb pedigree off of a PCGS slab.  I also attempted to cross a 1926-S nickel in VF-35 (I won't say from whom) only to NGC clobber it down to "Fine details/scratched".

[I only regret my application to assume my real calling in life: benevolent, charitable philanthropist (No, not filanderer!) was rejected on the merits----I simply do not have the capital now, and it is increasingly doubtful I will be able to accumulate any before I am unexpectedly summoned to the Upper Room.

How so?  Well, it appears we have all made mistakes in our personal approaches to practicing numismatry. [Yes, I made that term up.]  My plan would have been to set up a foundation, and acting like the High Court, consider applications for grants to help collectors out with errors in judgment any one of us could have made, and have made.

Let it never be said ol' Q.A.'s heart ❤️ was not in the right place.]

I’ve never resubmitted any coin to the original TPGS firm that it was graded by when I acquired it. Not even once.

I have done direct PCGS to NGC crossovers. 

I have done “crackout crossovers” from ICG to NGC, and small slab ANACS to NGC. 

In each and every case, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, at least for me, NGC graded each and every coin identically to the previous grade, whether from PCGS, ICG, or ANACS. 

On 10/17/2022 at 12:31 PM, VKurtB said:

I’ve never resubmitted any coin to the original TPGS firm that it was graded by when I acquired it. Not even once.... 

To borrow an expression you've used, that would seem to be a bit, "ungrateful."  doh!:roflmao:

On 10/17/2022 at 1:26 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

To borrow an expression you've used, that would seem to be a bit, "ungrateful."  doh!:roflmao:

I’m not saying I WOULD never resubmit one to its present service, but it would have to be a coin that I was quite certain it was undergraded initially. I haven’t yet owned one like that. I’ve seen a few, but I’ve never owned one. I might also do it if I wanted an “attribute review”, such as a variety or some newly recognized attribute.  

I believe I still have accounts with both ANACS and ICG, but both would be “several” addresses out of date. The last time I used one of those was for a club medal with Joseph Wharton’s name misspelled as “Warton”. NGC didn’t “do” club medals. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/17/2022 at 3:38 PM, VKurtB said:

.... NGC didn’t “do” club medals. 

"....'do' club medals."  I tell ya, I'd be lyin' if I said I haven't gotten a big kick out of your comments. One of the inherent occupational hazards of being a grader is getting a submission with your name all over it. Would a regrade be a tacit admission the submitter was right? And the grader called it wrong? Can one expect an honest "second" opinion from he who rendered the first? Off-tangent, but you might know: are there any graders of the female persuasion, or is the profession all-male? Anyone?

“A sexist might say” that women would grade coins for five minutes and then jump up and storm out yelling about this whole thing being stupid.

Or I could be wrong. 

Or, or, or … (wait for it) they could be grading ASE’s and they’d be right about the whole thing being stupid. 

Edited by VKurtB

XYZ TPGS:  I see here where it says you've been grading for 3 years... tell me, Irene, where do you stand on grading Proofs?

IRENE:  No opinion.

XYZ:  Good, good. BTW, any relation to the LANGBORDS of Pennsylvania?

IRENE:  Pennsylvania? Ten Saints? 1933? Double Eagles? Safe-deposit box? Back about 20 years?

XYZ:  Yes!

IRENE:  No, no relation.

XYZ:  Welcome to XYZ!

WATCH OUT!  

:roflmao:

On 10/17/2022 at 12:38 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m not saying I WOULD never resubmit one to its present service, but it would have to be a coin that I was quite certain it was undergraded initially. I haven’t yet owned one like that. I’ve seen a few, but I’ve never owned one. I might also do it if I wanted an “attribute review”, such as a variety or some newly recognized attribute.  

I believe I still have accounts with both ANACS and ICG, but both would be “several” addresses out of date. The last time I used one of those was for a club medal with Joseph Wharton’s name misspelled as “Warton”. NGC didn’t “do” club medals. 

Do you have any information on Joseph Wharton's involvement in the production of metal for making flying eagles?

On 12/21/2022 at 5:14 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Do you have any information on Joseph Wharton's involvement in the production of metal for making flying eagles?

Never mind on that last question I just read Wharton bought a mine in 1863 long after flying eagle production. 

On 10/17/2022 at 3:38 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m not saying I WOULD never resubmit one to its present service, but it would have to be a coin that I was quite certain it was undergraded initially. I haven’t yet owned one like that. I’ve seen a few, but I’ve never owned one. I might also do it if I wanted an “attribute review”, such as a variety or some newly recognized attribute....

You are one very very lucky collector who takes being around forever, as an undisputed given.  Not so me.  I am giving myself ninety (90) days to wrap up the Rooster fest.  I have reconnected with all my mainstays overseas--did you know Stacks had an office in France?--and expect the boss (my wife) to accompany me to NYINC without the ornamental bracelets, but come April Fool's, the joke will be on me.  :whatthe:  It's now, or never...

On 12/21/2022 at 9:13 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

You are one very very lucky collector who takes being around forever, as an undisputed given.  Not so me.  I am giving myself ninety (90) days to wrap up the Rooster fest.  I have reconnected with all my mainstays overseas--did you know Stacks had an office in France?--and expect the boss (my wife) to accompany me to NYINC without the ornamental bracelets, but come April Fool's, the joke will be on me.  :whatthe:  It's now, or never...

I am aware (quite) of my own mortality. I know I will not be around forever, but I act as if I will. Why? Because I have a 27 year old son who will pick up my collection (ours, really), metaphorically stand on my cold dead shoulders, and carry on and build from there. He is a certified ANA exhibit judge in European coinage, has probably one of the most impressive Soviet Union collections around, and the things he is working on compliment my active interests. So yeah, I get to act as if I were 27 in my collecting, rather than the infirm 67 that I am. I’ll pass from this mortal coil with no numismatic regrets. I came, I saw, I learned, I collected, I gave back to the hobby through my ANA service. No regrets. 

On 12/21/2022 at 8:14 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

There is a lot of information on Wharton's adventures with the US Mint Bureau. By the time his nickel business was ready, the mint had changed to bronze. So Wharton began lobbying for using nickel in other denominations.....3-cent, 5-cent, proposal 10-cent, etc.

Edited by RWB

On 12/22/2022 at 3:40 AM, VKurtB said:

.... and the things he is working on compliment my active interests....

🐓:  Hey Q, you gonna call him out on "compliment," or shall I?

Q.A.:  Don't you dare!  I don't relish the idea of entertaining the mere musings of a bored rooster--and this may be too close to call--but I believe, in the context in which you've used the word presented, "complement" with an "e" is the correct form you intended to use.  :baiting:

On 12/22/2022 at 8:39 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓:  Hey Q, you gonna call him out on "compliment," or shall I?

Q.A.:  Don't you dare!  I don't relish the idea of entertaining the mere musings of a bored rooster--and this may be too close to call--but I believe, in the context in which you've used the word presented, "complement" with an "e" is the correct form you intended to use.  :baiting:

Fo’ sho’.

On 12/22/2022 at 8:17 PM, RWB said:

There is a lot of information on Wharton's adventures with the US Mint Bureau. By the time his nickel business was ready, the mint had changed to bronze. So Wharton began lobbying for using nickel in other denominations.....3-cent, 5-cent, proposal 10-cent, etc.

Wharton had obtained a played out copper mine in eastern Lancaster County near the town of Gap. He discovered nickel in the mine of such volume that it was the largest known supply of nickel ore until the Sudbury, Ontario deposits were discovered. His nickel refining plant was in Camden, NJ, near the present day Campbell Soup plant. Just across the Delaware from Philly. His company was the first to make malleable nickel usable for coins. Prior to that, nickel was used as a plating metal only. 

On 12/23/2022 at 11:26 AM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

....Never had a crossover failure.

This comment is making it very difficult for me to move my Roosters to the East Side from the West Side. One hiccup, and that's an easy thousand-plus dollars [plus sales tax, insurance and all other expenses] down the drain.

I still remember everything you told me in your post.  I am opening the books for 90 days (Jan. 1, 2023 thru April Fool's)  I have reconnected with all my overseas contacts. I intend to be at NYINC. I  am looking for that one special top-tier coin to assure my status as the G.O.A.T.  if I fail, my many detractors will be ecstatic.