• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1998 D Lincoln cent multiple errors
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I've got a 1998 D Lincoln Cent DDO DDR strike through error on both obv and rev. sitting Lincoln doubled missing BUS in motto also die clashing on both sides. Anyone know the value on a coin like this?

Picture_20222211012228~2.jpg

Picture_20221111011127~2.jpg

Picture_20221311011344~2.jpg

Picture_20221311011310~2.jpg

Picture_20221211011234~2.jpg

Picture_20221811011840~3.jpg

I asked a question. if you're not going to answer the question, don't reply.first of all can't you see the.missing letters also the the die clashes on the steps are very noticeable and the double sitting Lincoln very noticeable also. I asked if anyone knows the value. I know what the errors are on this coin. Simply don't reply

Actually, JT did answer your question. You asked the value; he replied with his opinion of one cent. The fact that you don't like his answer doesn't mean he didn't answer you.

As for your coin, it does appear to have been struck through grease on the upper part of the reverse. If that added any value at all to a cent that worn, it would be minuscule. I can't make out any evidence of die clashing in your pictures, either. The rest of what you see looks like either damage or is the result of very worn dies, including the doubling that appears on the date and elsewhere.

Edited by Just Bob

The sitting Lincoln isn't doubled? what is the impression in the column to the left of Lincoln in the memorial? Look, I don't have an issue with being wrong in regards to the errors, but when there's something as obvious as the doubling of the sitting Lincoln, 

Thanks Sandon and just bob. Very very helpful and much appreciated info. My apologies for the grainy pics. Those are the best pics I can send at the moment. Both sides have faint lettering all around the coin. The 8 in the date is hardly visible as well as one cent which is more faint closest to the edge. The die clash seems as though the coin was struck multiple times. It's been struck so many times, that it's difficult to see unless you've got the coin in front of you. Anyhow I really appreciate the feed back I received from the last two members. That's exactly what makes a new comer feel welcome. As far the lame replies from the rest of you, thanks for absolutely nothing. You were of no help. You'd have been been of more help not replying.

On 10/12/2022 at 10:42 AM, schism said:

Hypothetically,  if all the errors I stated were correct, would this coin be of any value?

Not possible to estimate the "value" of something so improbable.

Sorry, but I don't see any die clash.  You can confirm that by looking at the overlay that @Just Bob posted.  @Sandon provided a good explanation of why you don't have a filled die.  It's not uncommon to find this striking weakness on the reverse of many Lincoln Memorial cents and it's not considered an error, just normal process variability

I can't see anything regarding doubling.  You need to be showing the characteristics of true doubling such as split serifs and widening, vs flat and shelflike and thinning.  Not sure what I'm talking about?  I strongly suggest you go www.doubleddie.com and study the info in the tabs.  Until you can tell the difference between true die doubling and mechanical doubling and die deterioration, you'll just keep spinning your wheels

You shouldn't worry about value.  If your searching for errors to make money, you're in the wrong racket. Most of the minor die breaks, clashes, and filled dies have no premium.  Even most minor Doubled dies have little or no value. If you find something you can sell on eBay for a buck or two, your doing well.  Finding a $5-10 error is hitting the jackpot and may only occur every few years.  Once again, the key is knowing if you have an error and not wasting your time on coins like the one you posted

Coins are worth what a collector will pay.  This 1998 cent holds no premium.  The coin may have had a grease filled reverse die that partially filled the motto and legend.  However, this is very common.  Likewise, any doubling would be remote looking at the pictures.  What I can see is wear, damage and unattractive toning on the reverse.   

Sorry, but this coin is just not collectible in my opinion (I would spend it).  Condition is king, and you would need the error to scream "WOW!" for a 1998 coin that looks less-then-perfect to be desirable to collectors.

Edit note:  all that said... if you enjoy looking at it, keep it.  The cost of aquisition does not get lower.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

And RWB don't be such a D. I understand you're quite the numismatic genius. Why are many coin geniuses such . I'm sorry for the vulgarity. I just can't help but call things as I see fit. No need for the snobbery ol coin master. 

On 10/12/2022 at 10:36 AM, schism said:

The die clash seems as though the coin was struck multiple times. It's been struck so many times, that it's difficult to see unless you've got the coin in front of you

A die clash is distinctly different from a coin that has been struck multiple times!  "Clashed dies" means that a pair of coinage dies came together in the press without a coin blank between them, resulting in traces of the design from one (or each) of the dies transferring to the other.  Subsequent coins struck from these clashed dies will show evidence of the clash, known as "clash marks", as on this 1865 copper nickel three cent piece from my collection, which shows strong clash marks on each side, (as well as die cracks on the obverse around "OF").  Liberty's profile from the obverse is especially strong on the left side of the reverse: 

305696231_18653centsnickelobv..thumb.jpg.cee164da78a011657fd9f0d343753dbb.jpg          1668085613_18653centsnickelrev..thumb.jpg.b8aedcde42bd97b06794fb1f6b913d35.jpg

Clash marks are relatively common, especially on older coins, and usually add little or no premium to the coin's value.

On the other hand, coins featuring multiple strikes from the dies while the blank was in different positions in relationship to the dies are considered to be significant errors and often command good prices. Each one is one of a kind. Here are NGC photos of the obverse of a double struck foreign coin with the second struck well off center and of one that was triple struck, each in a different position:

image-11-Double_Struck_2810653-016_tb20191106135811867.jpgimage-13-NGC2457300-001_OBV-triple-struck_tb20191106135913371.jpg

I hope this helps.