• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 kennedys

19 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2022 at 10:27 AM, foundit said:

are these worth getting graded for sale

To me it's a no, as the chance that they would grade high enough to turn a profit against the grading costs is slim. Maybe if one of them was a variety of some sort, maybe then, but I'm not seeing anything. That's not to say those coins aren't damn nice, they are. (thumbsu 

Looks like 66 would be the required grade to make it worthwhile for both dates.

On 10/9/2022 at 10:55 AM, Greenstang said:

The 64 is 80% silver

90%

They are worth melt value. These were saved by the pallet load bu hoarders and the general public. (In the late 1960s a new 1964 Kennedy half would get you the best service in the finest restaurants in Moscow, along with other things.)

On 10/9/2022 at 4:59 PM, RWB said:

Kennedy halves were not wrapped by the Mints or FRBs. They were shipped only in $1,000 bags

Didn't they make P+D mint sets in 64 and 69 in the cellophane wrappers with Kennedy half dollars in them ? 

On 10/9/2022 at 5:42 PM, Taylor7 said:

I don't see how y'all can give OP a clear answer on these with the low quality of photos. 

n-LZGKdKsKe02WVtkyQ3ohOZA04wjW5k0m07LkYAzrY.webp.7ba15e1893134730df851981cc3ab81d.webp

I can see enough from them to tell they are not worth sending in. They have really good eye appeal and luster but several small contact marks that would prevent them from grading very high. Still very nice coins. Be really nice album coins or nice to put in an airtite holder or something like that. 

On 10/9/2022 at 5:42 PM, Taylor7 said:

I don't see how y'all can give OP a clear answer on these with the low quality of photos. 

Al;though the photos are of marginal quality, there are many visible scratches and bumps,...far too many to exclude all of these coins from MS68 or 69 conditions. Coins of lesser grades than these are simply too numerous to be worth more than bullion, which is well below the cost of sticking them into slabs.

On 10/9/2022 at 5:27 PM, J P M said:

Didn't they make P+D mint sets in 64 and 69 in the cellophane wrappers with Kennedy half dollars in them ? 

They did, but the Kennedy halves in those sets were anywhere from unremarkable to pretty awful. 

On 10/9/2022 at 5:36 PM, foundit said:

Ok ,what mag setting should be used for pics these were five 

With the lighting we have here, the one at the very top comes closest to being grade worthy. It COULD make 66, if you’re inclined to throw it in with other coins you’re sending in. 

On 10/9/2022 at 9:09 PM, VKurtB said:

They did, but the Kennedy halves in those sets were anywhere from unremarkable to pretty awful. 

Yes the point I was trying to make was they look like they were cut out of P+D mint sets . They have no circulation wear but still have the bag marks dings and scratches. Like all the ones I have. And no FT or FS in any of them.

On 10/10/2022 at 7:47 PM, J P M said:

Yes the point I was trying to make was they look like they were cut out of P+D mint sets .

Actually, they don't. As KB noted, many of the "set" coins were much worse than coins from bags. You probably have not had the opportunity to open a fresh, old bag from 1960 or 1964.

On 10/10/2022 at 8:04 PM, RWB said:

Actually, they don't. As KB noted, many of the "set" coins were much worse than coins from bags. You probably have not had the opportunity to open a fresh, old bag from 1960 or 1964.

LoL no unfortunately . I did get some nice looking Kennedy's on my paper route in the 60's on collection day. Although I do remember a fresh old bag from 1964 but she is another story.

On 10/10/2022 at 7:18 PM, J P M said:

LoL no unfortunately . I did get some nice looking Kennedy's on my paper route in the 60's on collection day. Although I do remember a fresh old bag from 1964 but she is another story.

Careful. That story gets only a few months from describing my wife. :roflmao:

On 10/10/2022 at 7:04 PM, RWB said:

To be fair, a 1,000 coin bag will have some real stinkers in there, for sure. But it will also have some really nice pieces as well. Given a choice of a bag, or 1,000 uncirculated sets, and the goal is to find a gaudy grade among them, I’d take the bag, even now. 

In the contemporary years of uncirculated Kennedy halves, this has come to work the opposite way. The coins in the mint-sold 200 coin bags are mostly inferior to those in uncirculated sets. Plucking 67’s out of bags is now a chore. 

Edited by VKurtB