• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unsolicited comments
1 1

51 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2024 at 10:41 PM, Henri Charriere said:

@zadok :

DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE.

SUPPORT. (Certified Collectibles Group) CCG # 455386

HERE'S A REMINDER OF WHAT THE INQUIRY WAS ABOUT;

SUBJECT:  SUBSCRIPTION  CANCELLATION WITH AGENT  -Julia J.

While there will be those who will revel in my adversity, I should like to make clear that tho I have been termed an inveterate, habitual, compulsive, pathological, and congentital liar, at one time or another, a fairer more accurate descriptor would be a strategic liar.  The members from whom gifts were received from me, unsolicited, no pro quid pro, 🤣  could vouch for that irrespective of the strength of any of their views under the sun, I never allowed that to influence my decision.  One even called me "a great man"!

I will be back.  Dena will hear my feeble knock at the door. You know you're getting old and bored when you want to acquire things you know nothing about because you're tired of waiting for what you really want [need] to show up.  It'll also give the moderators a much-needed break.  :roflmao:

-Henri Charriere a/k/a Quintus Arrius and Ricky 🐓 

...to summarize:...nothing important....

On 5/11/2024 at 9:26 AM, zadok said:

...to summarize:...nothing important....

Q.A.  WHY, I NEVER... IN ALL MY YEARS OF PRODUCTIVITY... What an ingrate!  Just for that, JUST FOR THAT, I am going to send in my dues, and re-re-re-re-re-subscribe -- I already have new User Name picked out -- and I and my trusty side-kick, Ricky (no name change required) will once again resume our "We're on a Mission from God" duties: primarily broadening "the body of knowledge" of coin collecting, and enlightening Newbies to the ins and outs of the hobby -- even revealing, for the very first time in Chat Board history, the secret location of the "back door" for seamless entry and exits. What do you say?

🐓:  With all due respect, boss... I can't believe he punked us with that "... all in time... all in time..." jabberwocky!  It was all a ruse!  Very clever!

On 5/11/2024 at 12:08 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Q.A.  WHY, I NEVER... IN ALL MY YEARS OF PRODUCTIVITY... What an ingrate!  Just for that, JUST FOR THAT, I am going to send in my dues, and re-re-re-re-re-subscribe -- I already have new User Name picked out -- and I and my trusty side-kick, Ricky (no name change required) will once again resume our "We're on a Mission from God" duties: primarily broadening "the body of knowledge" of coin collecting, and enlightening Newbies to the ins and outs of the hobby -- even revealing, for the very first time in Chat Board history, the secret location of the "back door" for seamless entry and exits. What do you say?

🐓:  With all due respect, boss... I can't believe he punked us with that "... all in time... all in time..." jabberwocky!  It was all a ruse!  Very clever!

...the prerequisite to broadening, enlightening n revealing is that one has to have something to start with, perhaps there's an aide in the checkout line at the local grocery store...i dont think peter griffin has been taken yet....

A word about Ampersand...

Elsewhere on the Forum, currently, our Grand Master has posted a Topic, entitled: "Members' assistance requested," which is galloping along at a respectable, steady clip.

So as not to detract from the main purpose of that Topic which is to elicit comments or questions to be considered for possible inclusion in a new edition of FMTM, I have chosen to express a miscellaneous observation here.

In a letter from a Nathan T. Perkins datelined Boston, 1858 [Posted today, June 8th, by RWB] you will find a line reading:  "Among these must necessarily be some rare coins, such as the Washington cents &c." [Emphasis mine.]

At one time, according to Wikipedia, the ampersand (&) was "... regarded as the 27th letter of the English alphabet, as taught to children in the U.S. and elsewhere."

Under the heading History, highlighted in purple, a contributor wrote:  "The ampersand, also known as the 'and sign," is the logogram '&' representing the conjunction "and".  It originated as a ligature of the letters of the word 'et' (Latin for 'and').   

A considerable body of research covering a thousand years is devoted to the origin, progression and representations of the amersand over time.  🐓 

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.)

Posted (edited)

Re: Flying Eagle Cent

Att:  @Sandon

As the OP of the long-running "Follow the Lead" Topic and thread does not encourage comments, I thought I would utilize this space.

I am puzzled by your use of the pejorative term, "graffiti" to describe what appears to be a most unfortunate disturbance to the surface preservation to one side of your coin.  In point of fact, the single incision apparently referred to which appears to have no useful purpose does not qualify to be termed a "graffitoe." which generally serves some useful,  purpose such as artistic expression..  If anything, this was an inadvertent, sadly consequential, strike with a sharp instrument.

In the same way, the "reverse" proof was invented, I would suggest you privately promote this as an example of a rarely-seen "reverse die break" to explain the bas-relief effect.  Knowing you as I believe I do, you will categorically reject participation in such an unseemly subterfuge, I can only suggest you relate what I have written hereinabove as something you had been told... and do so politely. Back stories do not have to be true, it is just something the public has a hankering for. Ultimately, the coin must speak for itself. NGC, and its membership,  is very fortunate to have you on the Chat Board!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Amplification.

C L A R I F I C A T I O N

There are six forums on the NGC CHAT BOARD.

One of them is entitled:  "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions."

On that forum, a few hours ago, I provided a comment to an OP's question regarding some of the last one-dollar points minted by the U.S. Mint, and its branches: "Small $1 coins," by Lincoln Fan.

I ended my comment with a single line, standing alone, which read: 

"This will be my last contribution to this Forum."

To be clear, I will no longer participate in THAT Forum.

I have over the years examined other forums.  Out of respect for members

@Alex in PA. and @Hoghead515 I have steered clear of the forums they frequent. It grieves me to know I am responsible for the departure of luminaries such as @MarkFeld and untold others who, issued very pointed public declarations and ultimatums, and feel they were snubbed: @physics-fan3.14 @MAULEMALL and others you may have forgotten, but I haven't. I will henceforth confine my presence to the "U.S, World and Ancient Coins," limit my comments to Likes, and serve at the pleasure of Moderation in compliance with the terms I had previously agreed to.

On 7/12/2024 at 7:59 PM, Henri Charriere said:

C L A R I F I C A T I O N

There are six forums on the NGC CHAT BOARD.

One of them is entitled:  "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions."

On that forum, a few hours ago, I provided a comment to an OP's question regarding some of the last one-dollar points minted by the U.S. Mint, and its branches: "Small $1 coins," by Lincoln Fan.

I ended my comment with a single line, standing alone, which read: 

"This will be my last contribution to this Forum."

To be clear, I will no longer participate in THAT Forum.

I have over the years examined other forums.  Out of respect for members

@Alex in PA. and @Hoghead515 I have steered clear of the forums they frequent. It grieves me to know I am responsible for the departure of luminaries such as @MarkFeld and untold others who, issued very pointed public declarations and ultimatums, and feel they were snubbed: @physics-fan3.14 @MAULEMALL and others you may have forgotten, but I haven't. I will henceforth confine my presence to the "U.S, World and Ancient Coins," limit my comments to Likes, and serve at the pleasure of Moderation in compliance with the terms I had previously agreed to.

When you allow yourself to be “run off”, we are ALL worse off. The people tagged above need to put on their big boy pants, and maybe a helmet. In short, they need to grow the f*** up. There ARE NO superiors among us in this hobby, not EVEN a so-called Numismatist of the Year. 

Edited by VKurtB

Posted (edited)

The following extract was prompted by an exchange today on the long-running, "R [W] B / S G / D E Bk" thread.

Though some may not view it that way, jumping a subway turnstile or entering thru the Exit gate, commonly referred to by the press and police officials in New York by the benign term, fare evasion, is recognized by State Penal Law by its proper legal term, "theft of services." The city loses millions of dollars every year to such "theft."

To fully appreciate the concept of theft, how it developed and was codified in law, one must go back centuries to (Anonymous v. The Sheriff of London, the Case of Carrier Who Broke Bulk) (1473) forever enshrined as the Carrier's case, a monumental English case that extended the concept of the offense of theft to include a carrier of goods, initially in lawful possession, for converting goods to his own use.

The Carrier's Case was a precedent-setting case to the offence of theft which was hereinafter called larceny.  

[For a basic recitation of the facts, I refer the more scholarly- minded to this classic Star Chamber proceeding more thoroughly explored in Wikipedia, et al with citations.]

I regret to say, though the matter of the 1933 Double Eagles has prominent members in the Forum at each others throats like ravenous wolves, I have no opinion on the matter one way or the other.

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.)

Addition of one letter; correct typo.

On 7/15/2024 at 3:28 PM, VKurtB said:

When you allow yourself to be “run off”, we are ALL worse off. The people tagged above need to put on their big boy pants, and maybe a helmet. In short, they need to grow the f*** up. There ARE NO superiors among us in this hobby, not EVEN a so-called Numismatist of the Year. 

...please just let it happen....

On 7/15/2024 at 10:58 PM, zadok said:

So then where would I go to keep my mind sharp trying to decipher his messages? There isn’t a whole lot of intellectually stimulating banter here, you know? Watching every stock in my portfolio keep hitting all-time highs gets old.

Edited by VKurtB

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2024 at 11:58 PM, zadok said:

The MORAL of The Fox and the grapes is that some people will disparage what they cannot achieve or have for themselves.

This is key to understanding why this member, humiliated by the decision rendered against what he misbelieved to be unassailable logic, saw his conclusion, thought to be rock solid and irrefutable, dissolve before his very eyes by none other than a Top Two TPGS, a Set Registry Coordinator, and his team of World Coin experts.

He swore on these pages, "restrikes [F20FrGRs] don't belong in registry sets." He was snobbish in insisting [it is] "as simple as that."

He railed,  "It is just a means to pad points n outscore the collectors who collect the originals." Balderdash & Hooey.

He conspiratorially made reference, without providing substantiation, that such practice was "circumventing the integrity [of the] intent of the registry as it is supposed to be."

He ordained, "the originals n the restrikes belong in two separate sets." He punctuated that with a forgone conclusion: "simply a no-brainer."

He goes on to state a cicumstance so bizarre, I still cannot make heads or tails of it:  "anyone that invests in bullion restrikes should realize the folly of their adventure n not intrude into the collector base of the originals."  The problem with this line of reasoning that smacks of delusion is BOTH THE ORIGINALS AND RESRIKES ARE  COMPRISED OF 90% GOLD alloyed with gold for durability...

He closes with typical zadokian bravado:  "u should whine elsewhere[;] no sympathy here.

The PCGS management took the proposal, much the way Bruce Cutler took John Gotti's multi-count indictment, and threw it in the garbage can in open court in front of God and all court attendees.

The member whose every assertion was stated as immutable fact, was REJECTED, and now whimpers, "... please just let it happen..."

In the meantime, Henri CHARRIERE, is STILL HERE!  STILL STANDING!  AND STILL STRONG!

Bomb technicians pored over the evidence, recovered every example, re-assembled it and cold-called me to let me know my set had been recovered and reassembled in a comprehensive new set, integrating both the originals and restrikes, that my rating and rank were restored, and I was once again Number One on the West coast.

After I reviewed the results I thanked those who had assisted me, and promptly renamed my set "The Francois Villon Collection." (1899-1914)

It does not bother me at all that I acquired a unique, uniface, undated, unlisted test example for which there is no slot in my 100% complete Set Registry. Why should it? I prevailed and the member on a mission to avenge the honor of a former member by besmirching and belittling me has chosen now to pretend nothing of import has occurred. That was all a dream. But the records maintained assiduously by NGC, indicate otherwise.

My apologies to the OP for the repeated intrusions.  To @VKurtB :  I appreciate the kind words. (After a battery of tests, my cardiologist, earlier today, has pronounced me fit as a fiddle.)

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation who may delay, delete at will, or post, all content as they see fit in their discretion.)

Man, I love this place!  🤣

Usual die polishing; correct typo

On 7/16/2024 at 8:47 PM, Henri Charriere said:

The MORAL of The Fox and the grapes is that some people will disparage what they cannot achieve or have for themselves.

This is key to understanding why this member, humiliated by the decision rendered against what he misbelieved to be unassailable logic, saw his conclusion, thought to be rock solid and irrefutable, dissolve before his very eyes by none other than a Top Two TPGS, a Set Registry Coordinator, and his team of World Coin experts.

He swore on these pages, "restrikes [F20FrGRs] don't belong in registry sets." He was snobbish in insisting [it is] "as simple as that."

He railed,  "It is just a means to pad points n outscore the collectors who collect the originals." Balderdash & Hooey.

He conspiratorially made reference, without providing substantiation, that such practice was "circumventing the integrity [of the] intent of the registry as it is supposed to be."

He ordained, "the originals n the restrikes belong in two separate sets." He punctuated that with a forgone conclusion: "simply a no-brainer."

He goes on to state a cicumstance so bizarre, I still cannot make heads or tails of it:  "anyone that invests in bullion restrikes should realize the folly of their adventure n not intrude into the collector base of the originals."  The problem with this line of reasoning that smacks of delusion is BOTH THE ORIGINALS AND RESRIKES ARE  COMPRISED OF 90% GOLD alloyed with gold for durability...

He closes with typical zadokian bravado:  "u should whine elsewhere[;] no sympathy here.

The PCGS management took the proposal, much the way Bruce Cutler took John Gotti's multi-count indictment, and threw it in the garbage can in open court in front of God and all court attendees.

The member whose every assertion was stated as immutable fact, was REJECTED, and now whimpers, "... please just let it happen..."

In the meantime, Henri CHARRIERE, is STILL HERE!  STILL STANDING!  AND STILL STRONG!

Bonb technicians pored over the evidence, recovered every example, re-assembled it and cold-called me to let me know my set had been recovered and reassembled in a comprehensive new set, integrating both the originals and restrikes, that my rating and rank were restored, and I was once again Number One on the West coast.

After I reviewed the results I thanked those who had assisted me, and promptly renamed my set "The Francois Villon Collection." (1899-1914)

It does not bother me at all that I acquired a unique, uniface, undated, unlisted test example for which there is no slot in my 100% complete Set Registry. Why should it? I prevailed and the member on a mission to avenge the honor of a former member by besmirching and belittling me has chosen now to pretend nothing of import has occurred. That is was all a dream. But the records maintained assiduously by NGC, indicate otherwise.

My apologies to the OP for the repeated intrusions.  To @VKurtB :  I appreciate the kind words. (After a battery of tests, my cardiologist, earlier today, has pronounced me fit as a fiddle.)

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation who may delay, delete at will, or post, all content as they see fit in their discretion.)

As long as AGE’s are in Registry Sets, the Coq Marianne OBVIOUSLY belong in them, of BOTH eras. It’s a solid no-brainer. Separated into two series? I can appreciate the argument either way, but having started out as one Registry Set, changing mid-stream strikes me (pun intended) as fundamentally unfair. If Coq Marianne aren’t worthy, then NO BULLIONY gold coins are, especially the AGE. 

On 7/15/2024 at 11:58 PM, zadok said:

Out of deference for a clearly respectable hobbyist like the N.N. -- who seeks only a climate-controlled abode conducive to the exchange of matters of interest to other serious numismatists -- I am seriously considering reducing my screen time to, conservatively-speaking, one hour and thirty-seven minutes, daily.

All members in good standing, say AYE!

On 7/16/2024 at 9:47 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Bonb technicians pored over the evidence, recovered every example, re-assembled it and cold-called me to let me know my set had been recovered and reassembled in a comprehensive new set, integrating both the originals and restrikes, that my rating and rank were restored, and I was once again Number One on the West coast.

It does not bother me at all that I acquired a unique, uniface, undated, unlisted test example for which there is no slot in my 100% complete Set Registry. Why should it? I prevailed and the member on a mission to avenge the honor of a former member by besmirching and belittling me has chosen now to pretend nothing of import has occurred. That was all a dream. But the records maintained assiduously by NGC, indicate otherwise.

...just when u think it cant get any sadder it finds a new level for sadness....

On 7/19/2024 at 2:48 PM, zadok said:

...just when u think it cant get any sadder it finds a new level for sadness....

What, me worry?

You're my biggest fan!  :roflmao:

Posted (edited)

To Whom It May Concern:  

I will return to the Chat Board when either of two things happens:

1.  I receive confirmation that my recent order to Paris, France was received, receiving an acknowledgment indicating as much, or 

2.  The atomic clock declaring Wednesday July 31, 2024, 23:59:59 hours has arrived and chimes.  (Receiving delivery of the merchandise in question will not be necessary as there is no urgency to this matter.)

3.  There are those who do not believe the unthinkable is possible.  I believe them to be wrong.  However, they are entitled to confirmation either way. They will get it....

:news:     :news:     :news:     :news:     :news:

Unbeknownst to me, the condition enumerated as "1." above, was satisfied four (4) days ago.  I failed to check my mail.  There was never any doubt in my mind that my clever sleight of hand would defeat the screening apparatus of both the U.S.G. and the Republic of Paris.  Will this entitle me to a dancing emoji from @Just Bob ?  I seriously doubt it.  My many detractors will be most displeased. Many will say, "No way this guy stuffed envelopes with cash and sent it overseas -- successfully."  But that is exactly what I did.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I always say. @The Neophyte Numismatist will insist on proof... photos, an invoice or certification number.  As my cousin z says, "...all in time..."  🤣

Routine die polishing.

On 7/25/2024 at 7:57 PM, Henri Charriere said:

To Whom I May Concern:  

I will return to the Chat Board when either of two things happens:

1.  I receive confirmation that my recent order to Paris, France was received, receiving an acknowledgment indicating as much, or 

2.  The atomic clock declaring Wednesday 31, 2024, 23:59:59 hours has arrived and chimes.  (Receiving delivery of the merchandise in question will not be necessary as there is no urgency to this matter.)

3.  There are those who do not believe the unthinkable is possible.  I believe them to be wrong.  However, they are entitled to confirmation either way. They will get it.

4.  I think it fair to say while some take my antics in stride, there are others that, for lack of a better word, would prefer to see me, and Ricky, my sidekick, move on. I shall be pleased to accommodate them.

5.  I shall honor my commitment, regardless what happens, report the facts as I know them, and attend to two other matters. One, retire my set on the NGC Set Registry, immediately, or as soon thereafter as is practicable, to allow at least one member to ascend a rank and allow the gentleman occupying rank eleven to fill the vacancy that shall have developed at rank eight among the Top Ten.  As membership is not a prerequisite to becoming a Set Registrant, I shall be more than amenable to entertain offers for examples of that set, below FMV, on the Coin Marketplace.

6.  As to my West coast set, I shall retire it promptly after the Awards for various remarkable sets are announced.  I have enjoyed my 15 minutes immensely.  Moderation will be most pleased to have been apprised of my future plans here as will be reflected in substantially reduced turn-around times better spent devoting their attention to grading over maintaing a never-ending, round-the-clock, vigil monitoring a single old buzzard over rotating shifts.  :preach:

7.  I do not wish to elaborate on my future plans as regarding what the four-letter entity regards as the "Best French Set."  It is not for sale at any price. I have no heirs; my wife's family is eminently unqualified to assume the duties and obligations as it relates to responsible stewardship.  I spent five years amassing the pieces from disparate sources over three continents.  I do not believe I could tolerate their being broken up, on whim -- or worse, for financial reasons. "The Francois Villon Collection" will be gifted to a person or person, entity or entities, with the ironclad proviso it remain intact, save for strictly optional future upgrades.

#7 - as it should be.

MODERATION OVEREACH...

I believe everyone takes for granted Moderation is accorded a great deal of discretion in what gets posted -- and what does not.

Yesterday, I conducted my annual surgery of certifications under the Topic of "French 20-Francs gold roosters."  i spent the better part of the day reviewing records and reporting results.  The information I had at hand affected not only me but had implications for the scores of collectors who maintain Set Registries both here, and across the country.

I delved into a topic few, if any, were aware of and reported what I found as it currently was.  The information is readily available. Anyone can check my source if they are so inclined.

I struggled against great adversity. An ailing wife, lack of air conditioning, high heat and humidity and lack of hot water. It was also a day that I had to marshal all documents needed for recertification for housing.

I proofread the post, and satisfied I reported the unusual developments accurately, pressed SEND.  With that one split-second action, I assumed it was held for review, but mindful of Moderation's application of certain tools with a heavy hand -- FONT SIZE -- predominantly, I let the matter slide.

Many hours later, my labor of love is gone.

I do not specifically recall ever expressing dissatisfaction with concerning a matter that was essentially inoffensive, unobjectionable and deserving of outright censorship.

I am therefore absenting myself from further Chat Board proceedings.  It is difficult to compose one's thoughts coherently when there is no assurance what I have to say will be heard.

Effective today, Thursday, August 1, 2024, 1200 hours, I will no longer participate in this column.

Effective today, Tuesday, September 10, 2024, 2030 hours, I am resuming my participation in this column.

So as not to further disrupt a Newbie's Topic on another Forum, presently, I shall address the issue a senior member @ldhair  broached which is deserving of a reply.

1.  Apology accepted.

2.  I am directing Ricky to change my User Name with notice to the membership, and

3.  I am going to ratchet down the racket my posts have created.

On balance, I accomplished what I set out to do.  I have done what no other member has done or could reasonably be expected to do in a manner best described as unorthodox. I assembled a First Class certified collection of Fr20FrGRs something only a handful of collectors have ever attempted to do. (The records here and there are accessible and support Mt assertion.) It took me 5 years to accomplish; I doubt I could have done it without the inspiration some of the most accomplished members here have provided.

Now, as far as the volume of posts I have generated, I could fall back on a quality vs quantity defense, but I will enter a plea of nolo contendere instead. Maybe my presence on the Forum has been outsized.  Moderation, whether you believe it or not, has been on point consistently. I do not believe many members have a clear working knowledge of what the Chat Board Guidelines are or the conduct they were designed to regulate.

Ricky and I will do our part. The various Forums run in cycles much like a roulette wheel. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I do not believe I have any pressing matters at present before me on the Board.  I will, accordingly, regulate my presence to allow other members to expand theirs.

Man, I love this place.  🤣

(Posted at the discretion of NGC Moderation.)

FARE WELL, SARASOTA!

With winds from Hurricane Helene, now a Cat 4, lashing the Gulf Coast ahead of a rain, wind, and storm surge, I wish our hosts well.

Batten down the hatches, NGC! I know you are prepared for all contingencies and trust the membership will be understanding re turn-around times.  

You remain in our thoughts and prayers.