• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another fake?

15 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2022 at 7:04 PM, jimbo27 said:

The seller has an online store, he should have known better

There are a lot of sellers on eBay that don't know the series for coins they list. I have seen quite a number of fakes there and usually send the seller a quick message and report it. A few get defensive, but most didn't even know or are selling it for someone ... or at least thats what they claim.

You realized something was off and posted it. Some buyers there are not so lucky.

Edited by EagleRJO

@Shawn1984--From what I can see from the photos, your 1900-O Morgan dollar appears to be genuine.  It is simply a well circulated (Very Good or so) specimen of a common date coin worth $30 or so retail that there's no real incentive to counterfeit (except to circulate at face value a century or more ago). The date and mint mark styles, toning and other characteristics are as would be expected.  

The 1893-S is a key to the series, with even well-worn pieces worth several thousand dollars.  They were all struck from a single obverse die on which the "3" in the date is slightly higher than the other numerals, unlike the one in the original post. The mint mark is also of the wrong style and closer to the wreath than on genuine specimens.  The "look" of the coin (color and toning pattern) is also suspicious.  Finally, so far as I know, no one has ever reported a dramatic multiple strike error on an 1893-S Morgan dollar!

On 10/8/2022 at 3:40 AM, Shawn1984 said:

How about this one

@Shawn1984Even though it looks pretty good take some basic steps as a matter of evaluating any raw coin to help protect yourself and get in the habit of doing that, no matter what the coin cost. Keep in mind that even though the coin is not that valuable there can be contemporary fakes to watch out for, including that 1900-O Morgan (see attached which is about a 1900-O Fine condition counterfeit Morgan).

First go to resources like PCGS CoinFacts or auction sites (e.g. Great Collections or Heritage Auctions) and pull up some examples of certified coins with about the same condition (like the attached) to get at least a descriptive grade match and compare the details of the coin. Then if something doesn't look right, or just as a matter of practice like I do with raw coins, go to sites like VamWorld for varieties of Morgans or NGC Variety Plus, etc. to dig a little deeper. Like that one appears to be a VAM-3 with a "near date" and the correct C3 reverse with a narrow left facing wing gap and an O mint mark tilted right (www.vamworld.com/wiki/1900-O_VAM-3).

The pics are a little blurry and don't always tell the whole story, so if you do buy it make sure they have no questions returns and look at it carefully when you get it in hand. Like checking to make sure it's a match, if it's been harshly cleaned and that there are not any of the indicators for the known counterfeit.

Also. for future reference it's always better to start a new thread about any coin you have questions on as it's less likely to get buried and you are likely to get more direct responses to questions you may have. Btw, welcome and good luck with that Morgan if you go for it.

1900-O Morgan Dollar Grade-Fine Counterfeit Details.jpg

1900-O Morgan PCGS F12.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/8/2022 at 8:05 PM, EagleRJO said:

@Shawn1984Even though it looks pretty good take some basic steps as a matter of evaluating any raw coin to help protect yourself and get in the habit of doing that, no matter what the coin cost. Keep in mind that even though the coin is not that valuable there can be contemporary fakes to watch out for, including that 1900-O Morgan (see attached which is about a 1900-O Fine condition counterfeit Morgan).

First go to resources like PCGS CoinFacts or auction sites (e.g. Great Collections or Heritage Auctions) and pull up some examples of certified coins with about the same condition (like the attached) to get at least a descriptive grade match and compare the details of the coin. Then if something doesn't look right, or just as a matter of practice like I do with raw coins, go to sites like VamWorld for varieties of Morgans or NGC Variety Plus, etc. to dig a little deeper. Like that one appears to be a VAM-3 with a "near date" and the correct C3 reverse with a narrow left facing wing gap and an O mint mark tilted right (www.vamworld.com/wiki/1900-O_VAM-3).

The pics are a little blurry and don't always tell the whole story, so if you do buy it make sure they have no questions returns and look at it carefully when you get it in hand. Like checking to make sure it's a match and that there are not any of the indicators for the known counterfeit.

Also. for future reference it's always better to start a new thread about any coin you have questions on as it's less likely to get buried and you are likely to get more direct responses to questions you may have. Btw, welcome and good luck with that Morgan if you go for it.

1900-O Morgan Dollar Grade-Fine Counterfeit Details.jpg

1900-O Morgan PCGS F12.jpg

Wow

On 10/8/2022 at 8:29 PM, J P M said:

Wow

LoL  ... You have picked up a lot of information doing your Morgan set Jo. (thumbsu The 1900 Shawn posted is a common coin to me, like Sandon mentioned. 

Yea, I wasn't sure if it was surprise at there being such a good counterfeit for what is a common lower value Morgan. And a good chunk of what I have picked up doing that set has been through this board kicking around coins with more experienced collectors like yourself, Sandon, Coinbuf, OldHoopster, etc. That has been invaluable and much appreciated.

I agree the 1900 Shawn posted is just a common circulated coin, but what better coin to start off with doing a little digging first to get your feet wet if you are going to go down that raw coin road like I did where you really do need to be careful with more valuable ones.

Edited by EagleRJO