• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969-S Penny - Coveted DDO or Not? (Probably Not)
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone: I'm assuming this is NOT the coveted DDO due to the lack of clear doubling, and that it's just a teasing, ordinary double strike?

Just want to be extra sure and if so, does anyone have any idea if it would have any meaningful value anyway?

Thanks for the help since I'm still new(ish) at all this and mostly focus on cherry picking foreign coins. 

1969-S Penny Ovb1.jpg

1969-S Penny Ovb2.jpg

1969-S Penny Ovb3.jpg

1969-S Penny Ovb4.jpg

1969-S Penny Ovb5.jpg

1969-S Penny Rev1.jpg

This coin is neither a doubled die nor a "double strike", by which I assume the poster means a coin that was struck twice.  The coin exhibits faint "strike doubling", which results from a single strike where a normal die was slightly loose in the press, producing a "shelf-like" secondary image that is lighter and in lower relief than the primary image.  On a doubled die, in which the double image is in the die itself, the two images at or about the same strength and relief.  Strike doubling is common and worth little or no premium.

NGC's photo of the date area of the very rare 1969-S doubled die cent follows.  Note the equal height doubling of all the numbers, while the "S" mint mark, which was punched into the die separately, shows no doubling.  Photos of the similar doubling on the obverse lettering can be found in the entry for this variety in NGC VarietyPlus.  There are also photos in the "Redbook".

815704-4.jpg

Wow, cherry picking FOREIGN  coins? You d’man! Or you are on the way there. 

On 10/5/2022 at 7:00 PM, Sandon said:

This coin is neither a doubled die nor a "double strike", by which I assume the poster means a coin that was struck twice.  The coin exhibits faint "strike doubling", which results from a single strike where a normal die was slightly loose in the press, producing a "shelf-like" secondary image that is lighter and in lower relief than the primary image.  On a doubled die, in which the double image is in the die itself, the two images at or about the same strength and relief.  Strike doubling is common and worth little or no premium.

NGC's photo of the date area of the very rare 1969-S doubled die cent follows.  Note the equal height doubling of all the numbers, while the "S" mint mark, which was punched into the die separately, shows no doubling.  Photos of the similar doubling on the obverse lettering can be found in the entry for this variety in NGC VarietyPlus.  There are also photos in the "Redbook".

815704-4.jpg

Yes, meant "strike doubling". Still trying to master numismatic vernacular, so thank you for the semantic spanking. Lesson learned & appreciated.

Edited by Dascher

On 10/6/2022 at 1:32 PM, EagleRJO said:

The attached may help related to doubling. Note that doubling for hand punched dates and marks is a little different.

Coin Errors - Doubled Die vs Machine Doubling Diagram.jpeg

Cool. Thanks EagleRJO! I appreciate you taking the time to help me out like this. Be good... - JFD

The sketch I posted really is an excellent graphic representation of doubling that just jumps out at you. Does he have more sketches for other errors or attributes of coins?

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/5/2022 at 11:42 PM, Dascher said:

... thank you for the semantic spanking. Lesson learned & appreciated.

Don't take it personally. He is like that with everybody who is not being technically precise, which I actually appreciate. Keeps you on your toes.

On 10/6/2022 at 10:34 PM, EagleRJO said:

Don't take it personally. He is like that with everybody who is not being technically precise, which I actually appreciate. Keeps you on your toes.

Thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom, of which I agree. I'll consider it a healthy dose of character-building hazing from Niedermeyer as Nu Gamma Chi pledge Pinto at Numismatic U!

Edited by Dascher

On 10/7/2022 at 12:42 PM, Dascher said:

a healthy dose of character-building hazing from Niedermeyer

Funny stuff, and great movie. I have had my share too. Like "left wing of an eagle" on the reverse of a coin. Did I mean the wing on the left side of the coin or the left facing wing (wing on the right side of the coin). 😜