• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Eisenhower peg leg R?

4 posts in this topic

I believe that there is only a "Peg Leg R" variety for '71-S Ike's, at least that's the only one NGC recognizes. For the '71 both the upper and lower serifs must be missing, on your coin it looks like the upper serif is present but the lower section does look weak. Hard to say from those pics.

There would have probably been many thousands of the '71 Peg Leg R's produced, as far as survival rate and popularity, (shrug), but I don't see many available for purchase or sold listings and TPG populations seem to be low. For whatever that's worth. 

If memory serves me correctly all (or most) of the 1972 Ike dollars are the peg leg type as are the 1976 coins.   There are a couple of other years where you can find the peg leg style as I recall but I don't have the reference here with me as to all the dates.   The rare and valuable peg leg Ike is the 1971-S, find one of those and you have something.