• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Mint Proof Sets

16 posts in this topic

I usually get a regular proof set of coins from the US Mint for a year just because I like the way proofs for coins that I handle regularly look and they are not that much. I don't think they hold value well as I see older ones for next to nothing in thrift shops, but I was curious if anyone collects or regularly orders the proof silver sets which seems a bit overly expensive.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I began getting proof sets in 1971 when they cost $5. I continued to order them from the SFM through 1998, but the state quarter program was just too many coins, and I dropped out. I'd say that I lost money to inflation buying these coins, but they're a nice record of the many changes made during that period.

Yea, they do seem like a looser and more of a novelty type purchase, at least for me, and I only started added ones I am missing starting with the 1960s when I see them in the thrift stores for under $10.

I don't think I would switch to or add the silver proof sets at this point as they do seem overpriced, and was more just curious about who else collects the regular proof sets, and if there was any value to getting the proof silver sets I may have been missing.

Edited by EagleRJO

I ordered them through 2018, then gave up. I got tired of returning poor quality sets for replacements and the prices were increasing.  If I want one now, I just buy it on the secondary market where it's usually cheaper than the mint

I stopped buying proof and mint sets (actually anything from the mint) about ten years ago.   Partly because of all that bulk just sitting around, and now the prices are just stupid high and overpriced.

I get a silver proof set every year from the mint. I quit getting the clad sets after the added W coins were done. I also get the Innovation $ proof & reverse proof sets as well. I really wanted the W uncirculated nickel that was supposed to come with the proof set in 2020. That was a bummer. 

I get one clad set and one silver set every year and I break them up for the Dansco 8000 series albums, the ones that include the proofs. Then later, if I find others cheap enough, I sometimes grab one to keep whole. 

I have purchased the Presidential and Innovation Proof and Rev Proof sets, in addition to the regular yearly proof sets, and haven't really had any significant quality issues when they are direct from the mint, although I do see that sometimes when purchased on the secondary market.

ASE's are a completely different story in terms of quality direct from the mint, and even though I have them starting in the early 1990s (plus I added the first year) I will likely stop getting them after this year due to the poor strikes, milk spots (fingers crossed, haven't gotten any yet), garbage capsules and dollar store like OGP they started coming in.

[Talking about "milk spots" and discoloration of ASEs, I saw the attached coin slab protectors and box intended to prevent these things from happening. But apparently even ridiculous belt and suspenders like that will not prevent the milk spots which appear to be a result of changes in the blanks and minting process.]

Coin Slab Protection & Storage - Intercept Shield Box.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

I got bitten by the proof set bug last year. Started with a few, then got a 1955 set, and took off from there. Now over 60 sets, and 7 to go. Including the  SMS sets, and one lone 2011 silver set, and one duplicate 2008. Over 560 proof coins in all. It has been fun, and expensive but according to PCGS proof set values, I’ve spent 50% of what they are worth. I’ve been lucky on many of them , as collectors seem to shy away due to the sheer volume.  Almost all of them were purchased well below current value including shipping. Some sets are really valuable, and storage of them is an issue. The ones I need yet are 2014-2020. I can’t stop now, so plan to finish my set. If anybody has the seven I need, and willing to part, let me know. Maybe someday, I’ll get the ones prior to 1955, but these are getting as rare as hens teeth. I know of one 1954 set in ogp for $130. The most I’ve paid so far is the 1955 set in envelope and the 2012 set both were $70. I know, it was an impulse thing, but I like knowing that I have every production series proof coin since 1955. I’ve been logging cost, PCGS prices, and retail prices on all of them. I don’t think of selling them, but maybe someday as a massive group. Yes numismatics are crazy. 

On 9/23/2022 at 7:42 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I got bitten by the proof set bug last year ... I can’t stop now

Too funny Bill. Sounds like me once I got started with the modern dollar coins collecting the complete Presidential and Innovation sets in BU or PF for all years/marks. I think I'm just missing the latest TN coins and the Truman Rev PF which is surprisingly pricey so I am more seriously shopping/bidding that one.

On 9/23/2022 at 8:11 PM, J P M said:

I have a few mint sets and proof sets that I picked up at antique stores. Almost every one of them cost $5 except the silver sets and those were under $20

Even the bigger more recent sets with all the quarter and dollar coins? I have to swing by the thrift stores around you to do some set shopping. lol

I have not bought any proof sets ever.  I have bought a few individual proofs on the secondhand market.  I feel like I have too much going-on already to get started with them.  It's hard enough for me to focus.  Problem-free proofs are very beautiful coins, so maybe one day.  

But, I feel pretty confident I would buy them one at a time.  I like picking each coin out... that's part of the fun for me.

On 9/24/2022 at 1:19 PM, EagleRJO said:

Even the bigger more recent sets with all the quarter and dollar coins? I have to swing by the thrift stores around you to do some set shopping. lol

No the larger modern sets are not around the antique shops. I think those would be a hard find to pick up for $5

As I understand it, they were mass marketed to EVERYBODY including folks with no interest in coins.  In the 1960's and 1970's they were regularly given to me and my brother as birthday and Christmas presents.

Very few have appreciated because of the quantity produced. :tonofbricks:

On 9/23/2022 at 6:20 PM, VKurtB said:

I get one clad set and one silver set every year and I break them up for the Dansco 8000 series albums

I do the exact same.  1 regular proof, 1 mint, and one silver proof.  everything since 1964 are this way. IKEs, SBAs, Kennedy's, Quarters .....ect....