• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1922/23 peace dollars with weird surface irregularities
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I picked these beauties up via estate and I am lost as to how these surface irregularities would occur. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Should they be submitted for grading? Any insight or information would be greatly appreciated. 

20220919_172001.jpg

20220919_162237.jpg

20220918_110746.jpg

20220919_162332.jpg

Acetone (not nail polish remover) will remove the tape residue but not the toning. They are damaged and the value is nothing more than  common circulated silver dollars.  IMO not worth the effort to mess with.  They will always have the tape stripe and anything removing the toning will be easily be recognized as harsh cleaning 

Others may beg to differ, but from my vantage point, there is no numismatic value to these coins. One member stated a range of from $25. to $35 (full retail) whatever that means. I feel that is being a mite too generous. Then again, I am new to the hobby. I have been lurking about for only fifty years.  This may sound harsh but me feels that chart featured in the old Red Books is applicable here: standard Peace weight X silver spot. They're "thisclose" to a decent burial.  The Roostermeister has spoken.  🐓 

As others mentioned, the coins have residue from tape. Probably taped to a page. Even after removing the adhesive residue, they will have no collector value because of the wear. A fair market value is about 5% over melt, or about $22 each.

I am a material scientist. The yellow is not residue. Any of you actually know anything about the J2020 and middle relief pieces? They are still being discovered today.  Thanks for your opinions but I think you need to go back and read the coinweek article on mid reliefs still being found. 

On 9/20/2022 at 10:11 AM, Selfmade1313 said:

I am a material scientist. The yellow is not residue. Any of you actually know anything about the J2020 and middle relief pieces? They are still being discovered today.  Thanks for your opinions but I think you need to go back and read the coinweek article on mid reliefs still being found. 

@Selfmade1313 I appreciate the "humble" approach.hm  For what it's worth, one poster on this thread LITERALLY wrote the book on Peace Dollars (A Guide Book of Peace Dollars, Published by Whitman).  Sometimes, it is helpful to know who you are talking to before you start throwing rocks.  

But... by all means... carry-on.  You were saying something about middle relief?

On 9/20/2022 at 1:52 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

@Selfmade1313 ....Sometimes, it is helpful to know who you are talking to before you start throwing rocks....

[Ain't that the truth. Now I know why this is so cringe-worthy. Thank you Ronnie Stein, again, for bringing my, by far more impertinent, remarks to my attention a few years back!  Man, I love this place! ]  😀 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
The usual: addition of that closing bracket.

Since you already "know" all about these coins and the residue, there's no point in my responding further.

If acetone didn't work did you try xylene?  Maybe a longer soak?  

The brown residue looks like old tape residue that I've encountered as well as can found in the archives. There are some other materials and chemists on this site

I don't know if you would consider that he may actually know something but instead if rereading the coinweek article, have you looked the book on Peace Dollars written by @RWB?  That may be helpful

IMG_20201022_174004.thumb.jpg.a89f38a43e045278f1ec41942f7b2a3d.jpg

You may want to go back and read the July 12, 2014  coinweek article on the sale of a Judd 2020 and other Peace dollar rarities, and see who is mentioned in the third paragraph, he already commented in this thread.

[I feel the need for some comedic relief...  This is neither here nor there, but :signofftopic:  I believe it is ACETONE that was an integral part of "rinsing," as it were, unadulterated powder cocaine of contaminants like gasoline due solely to lack of suitable smuggling alternatives. The source, if memory serves, was the standard reference on the subject, titled: "The Cocaine Handbook," available under-the-counter in the 1980's at headshops everywhere. If the Strand Book Store had a copy it would be in the Rare Book department. It goes without saying that, if you see this highly irregular post, it simply means the mods haven't seen it first.]  :makepoint: doh! :facepalm:

“Middle relief”? Is that what you get when you take your T-Mobile phone into their huge signal hole in Nebraska and you get relief from your phone ringing in the middle of the country? Hey, it’s sexier than Scotch tape residue. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/20/2022 at 8:05 AM, RWB said:

As others mentioned, the coins have residue from tape. Probably taped to a page. Even after removing the adhesive residue, they will have no collector value because of the wear. A fair market value is about 5% over melt, or about $22 each.

Melt value is roughly $15 per coin, so I’m hoping you meant that the coins are worth approximately 50% over melt, not 5%.

On 9/20/2022 at 9:11 AM, Selfmade1313 said:

I’m not a “material scientist” but can tell you that the coins you posted are extremely common examples with a value of roughly $20-$25 each.

On 9/21/2022 at 8:27 AM, ldhair said:

How long did you leave them in acetone? 

I would imagine the gentleman left them in there "long enough."  When you don't see immediate results, you tend to leave them there until you do.  My experience, of course, may differ from yours.

On 9/21/2022 at 7:27 AM, ldhair said:

How long did you leave them in acetone? 

It’s a long soak procedure, nothing quick. 

On 9/21/2022 at 9:44 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I would imagine the gentleman left them in there "long enough."  When you don't see immediate results, you tend to leave them there until you do.  My experience, of course, may differ from yours.

It would be nice to know if the OP understands the proper was to use acetone. Many don't.

On 9/20/2022 at 6:05 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

J-2020 is referred to as a "Modified High Relief" not "middle relief" although I guess it is technically correct. I did read that article and I'd stick with the lottery tickets otherwise send them in for authentication

No. It is correctly identified as "Medium relief" which correctly describes the alterations made in the obverse. "Modified relief" is PCGS's own attempt to co-opt the original research and identification. Their phrase tells the collector nothing. Was it modified higher, lower, sideways, upside down?

[What a difference a generation or two makes. Hard to believe coin collectors talk about acetone like it's no big deal. So important was acetone in the drug trade, that it was specifically placed on the DEA's list of chemicals prohibited from being exported to South America. I believe the term used was "precursor" chemicals. I don't believe I would have the guts to ask for it by name, anywhere:

DEA:  This you?

Q.A.:  Lemme see dat... Yup!

DEA:  What do you use this stuff for?

Q.A.:  Coins. I am a coin collector.

DEA:  FIVE GALLONS!

Q.A.:  I got a lot of coins. You know. Patina, Verdigris.

DEA:  Crime associates? Co-conspirators???]

🐓 

On 9/22/2022 at 9:12 AM, RWB said:

No. It is correctly identified as "Medium relief" which correctly describes the alterations made in the obverse. "Modified relief" is PCGS's own attempt to co-opt the original research and identification. Their phrase tells the collector nothing. Was it modified higher, lower, sideways, upside down?

Was the term "Modified High Relief" originated by PCGS and now universally used by most TPG's and some references? I agree that "Medium relief" is a better descriptive phrase than the others and fits in nicely with the "High relief" and "Low relief" denotations, but it does not seem to have been embraced by the industry for some reason.? (shrug)  

A 2021 article from NGC. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/9168/1922-modified-peace-dollar-pattern/