• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which coin would you choose?

Which coin would you pick?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two coins would you prefer (assuming nearly equal pricing)?

• 1806 (small six, no stems) Half Cent (MS61)
    • 1825 C-2 Half Cent (MS62)

23 posts in this topic

My reason for boycotting the poll: No way in heck anyone is going to get me to believe the 1806 Half Cent depicted, is of the small six persuasion! Look at it!  It's gargantuan!  Granted I am unfamiliar with this species of animal, but if that six is "small," I dare you to post a "large" one!  Q.A. is adamant: it can't be done!  Right or wrong, N.N., right or wrong?  Other enquiring minds may want to know.

@Quintus Arrius You just saved my back-side.  I wanted to get a picture of the Large 6, and went to my set online.  I looked at it, and it was a SMALL 6.  I was in disbelief, so I pulled the coin.  Sure enough, Small 6.  Had you not have asked for a pic, I may not have discovered that I already had the variety before I bought it.

Thank you!

Here is the difference (you can see the Large 6 touches the bust and is much thicker:

image.jpeg.158aadd2e84438239abfd4821a041af2.jpeg

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Based on a single post he made when challenged, I believe this to be the province of our over-the-road, frequent-flying, globe-trotting member/photographer.  He is the granular expert, without equal.  

Edited by Quintus Arrius
To further elucidate on the facts.

On 9/19/2022 at 10:52 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Room - I have gone in another direction.  I decided to buy a "nice" 1800 half cent that has come to the market.  The 1800 has been a very tough coin for me to find "nice" and relatively affordable.  I tend to see the super high-end that are beyond my reasonable budget, or XF coins with some problems.

1800 is always high on my list, because the reverse is only found on the 1800 (and 1802 Rev of 1800).  This coin is it's own type... I am glad to be able to find one that I like, and can afford.

I generally don't post a coin in two, locations... but I want to close the loop on my decision on this thread, and will also post it in the "For the Love of Copper" thread. (I like this coin THAT much) :luhv:

s-l1600-10.jpg

s-l1600-11.jpg

“You have chosen well, grasshopper.”

Thanks @VKurtB!  I had to make a deal with the Mrs. that this would be my last coin of 2022, as it cost more than the other two above.  But, I think it's worth it to sit on the sidelines for a few months and have a coin that has alluded me for a year (That said, I still maintain that those other coins above are great coins).

NICE.... I don't "collect for registry points." I am simply trying to get the best examples I can afford.  That said, this coin puts me at #3 on the Draped Bust One-Per-Date Registry.  I never thought I would be #3 anything (and can probably only celebrate today before I am ousted).  

The folks above me are pretty much untouchable (for me), and... The big boys collecting by variety obviously blow me away.  But, it's fun to celebrate for a day in my small pond:banana::insane:

I meant draped bust...

@Lem E  Thanks.  But, Half Cents are not like Jefferson Nickels or Lincoln Cents.  

I have 15 sets to compete with on the Draped Bust HC Registry.  About half of those are collectors who just have one coin, and the other half looks to be making a run for the whole set.  You have 643 sets to compete with in the Jefferson Registry, and @Coinbuf has 441 competitors on the Lincoln Registry.  That level of competition is not lost on me.  It's apples and oranges to compare me to you guys.  You two are the real deal!  Thanks for being so kind.

@The Neophyte Numismatist

I forget which Set Registry it was, but I remember taking a look, and feeling very sorry for the two or possibly three guys jockeying for the top spot on the 🐓 chart.  At the time, I had a submission in, was awaiting the results, and it suddenly occurred to me the only way anyone could best my score, once established, was to introduce an MS68, then not possible, or upgrade what I had, and best it, which, under the circumstances would have been prohibitively expensive and ultimately, not possible: The availability just wasn't there. Everybody and his uncle weighed in... yours is [not U.S. coinage] it's but a microscopic niche in a forlorn, forsaken, forgotten corner of the hobby's universe, and my all-time favorite: it does not count because you compiled it too f-a-s-t!  Translation: for a true collector like Eliasberg, it was a life-long labor of love. For me, well, it was like taking the dog out and after a few deposits, going back inside. Finito. Someone out west recently sent me a text saying I had set the bar very high. What can I say? I did the best I could.

I believe it incumbent on me to say I was very impressed with the member who came seemingly out of nowhere and landed on the #3 spot here. So startled was I that I let a friend, who has a set better than mine here, know that "the new guy" was a contender.  He checked, but failed to gauge his potential. His attitude was, "what threat?" But, I knew, and I was ultimately right. With some sets, and I am sure you've seen this yourself, in the beginning you sense seismic activity on another member's part and then, suddenly, after a lull, tectonic plates start shifting: the member, dispensing with the upgrading ritual entirely, bides his time, acquires a few key pieces, holds onto them, then throws them all out on the Set Registry: Simultaneously. You've got to admire someone with that kind of discipline and tenacity. His then becomes the standard by which all other sets are measured. Judging by your set, I still say you are no longer a Neophyte.  :roflmao:

I have not been collecting coins for very long at all (under 3 years).  I am very much a neophyte.  Some of you have been collecting and studying for decades, and that knowledge is nothing that should be taken for granted.  Thanks for saying that I am "no longer a neophyte," but the more I learn - the more I find I need to learn.