• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Isle of Man Unlisted Variety?

8 posts in this topic

Hello:

I was going through a set of Queen mother 1 crown coins issued by the isle of man. On the 2002 Listed as KM 1139, I came across 2 variation different then the other 18 coins. The first I believe is the black pearl finish listed as N #  231780. The second seems to be bimetallic with a silver core. OI the attached pictures the 2002 are on the top and I put in another pair of Copper nickel and silver versions on the bottom for comparison. Is this The one with the silver core seemed striking and I could not find a reference for it. The third picture is the tissue test that shows the difference I think more easily. Does anyone Have an idea what this is? Thanks in Advance.

IMG_20220912_191014_971.jpg

IMG_20220912_191018_088.jpg

IMG_20220912_191033_177.jpg

When I re-looked at them Another 2002 coin the Love of horses 2002 is the same core silver and it is listed as such.  It is N# 114940. However I did not see a reference for a version without the core. I am guessing there were three varieties for these two coins? 

On 9/12/2022 at 7:22 PM, RWB said:

Curious...Why would IoM put silver in the core but not on the surfaces?

It’s a bimetallic ringed coin. The inner piece is silver. 

I misunderstood your original question.

The black finish issue does contain silver in it.

the Pobjoy mint can be very frustrating. Their records are extremely poor. To complicate things further the Pobjoy mint sometimes uses sterling silver as opposed to the less pure silver that they also use in some of their crowns. 

More to come…

Edited by Zebo
Clarification

Southall lists two versions of this coin a cupro-nickel and a silver with black legend. Those descriptions seem to match the coins you posted, I don't believe the silver coin is bimetallic the "black pearl" finish that PM used on the legend just makes it look that way and not show up on the tissue test. There is also a 2002 "Life and Times of Queen Mother, Love of Horses" IoM crown produced in this finish (not listed in Southall). I don't have the latest edition of Krause in front of me so I'm not sure what they have in there, but I'm sure you're correct in that it is not listed. 

Pobjoy first used the black pearl finish on the 1990 Penny Black crown if I remember, one of their many innovations or gimmicks depending on your point of view.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 9/13/2022 at 6:01 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Southall lists two versions of this coin a cupro-nickel and a silver with black legend. Those descriptions seem to match the coins you posted, I don't believe the silver coin is bimetallic the "black pearl" finish that PM used on the legend just makes it look that way and not show up on the tissue test. There is also a 2002 "Life and Times of Queen Mother, Love of Horses" IoM crown produced in this finish (not listed in Southall). I don't have the latest edition of Krause in front of me so I'm not sure what they have in there, but I'm sure you're correct in that it is not listed. 

Pobjoy first used the black pearl finish on the 1990 Penny Black crown if I remember, one of their many innovations or gimmicks depending on your point of view.

...i knew u could provide more insight....accolades n a doughnut....