• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I can not find this type of coin. Help please!

30 posts in this topic

I have this old greek coin 10 lepta 1830 I find some exemple online but my coin is slightly different.  The cross is touching the rims and the flames under the phoenix are different. Also the wight is bigger is well. Online show me 15g and mine is 16.2g. Could be this a rare coin?

20220911_184802.jpg

20220911_184817.jpg

20220911_184845.jpg

20220911_185025.jpg

Screenshot_20220911-185044_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220911-185102_Samsung Internet.jpg

I deleted my original comment out of respect to the author even though I had no intent to be disrespectful by simply saying, "Maybe that should be a hint". It was meant to be a joke, but I can now see how it also could be construed as being a smart remark.   What @JKK said later down this thread, I believe, could not be more correct, nor well written.  Thank you for bringing up that point JKK.👌

Edited by GBrad

On 9/12/2022 at 12:45 AM, Thecosmin888 said:

Please can you be more explicitly with me.

"Cooked" up meaning people are saying it was likely made up to resemble an authentic coin or is a counterfeit as RWB and others implied. A source to authentic coins was provided, and you even posted a different one initially, which you acknowledged that the coin did not match either source in appearance or weight.  If you still think it's some kind of rare variation of the coin regardless of what some very experienced people are trying to tell you by all means submit it to a grading company for authentication but be prepared for the more likely outcome that it's a waste of money and the coin comes back as not authentic.  Just my 2 Indian head nickels.

Obviously you're missing the humor.  The phoenix over the flames.  Cooked.  Get it?  It's always sad to have to explain a bad joke to someone

There are probably a number of individually cut dies and you're just seeing minor variations. Like early US large cents, bust halves, etc.  Nothing special, unless there is an active segment collecting early 19th century Greek lepta by die variety. (FYI, that's a joke too)

@RWB you should incorporate that humor into your next few books  :insane: :roflmao:

Edited by Oldhoopster

On 9/12/2022 at 7:39 AM, EagleRJO said:

I think that became apparent with the grammar and missed intent of the jokes.

That's not showing from the way people are reacting to the reaction. I also thought it was obvious enough, but if it wasn't, someone needed to speak up. I've seen too many threads on here spiral downward due to simple misunderstandings and ill-advised wisecracks that take no account of anyone but oneself. This doesn't need to happen if perfectly intelligent people will also apply kindness and wisdom of the sort that I've been fortunate enough to experience all the times I've tried to be understood in a second language.

Apologies! No intention of derailing the OP's question. The puns were about coin design and certainly not about the OP's language. (PS: English is my 2nd language, also.)

On 9/12/2022 at 9:22 AM, RWB said:

Apologies! No intention of derailing the OP's question. The puns were about coin design and certainly not about the OP's language. (PS: English is my 2nd language, also.)

Appreciated. In that case the fine point resolves to, if it's apparent that our English (including your perfectly fluent collegiate English, which shows no signs of ESL at all) kidding flies over someone's head, let us work to be as considerate as we can in that regard. We will be a better group for it.

Okay, then here is my best answer to the OP’s question. In 1830, all dies were cut by hand, so fairly large differences can be evident. The relatively small differences between the OP’s coin and the reference coin do not bother me. But two other things do bother me. The weight being this far off is a concern, as is the general softness of the details on the OP’s coin. I would have liked to see the edge closeup because I suspect a cast fake, as opposed to a struck coin. The least likely case is that it is a rare variety, and that is what the OP was seeking. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/12/2022 at 5:44 PM, VKurtB said:

Okay, then here is my best answer to the OP’s question. In 1830, all dies were cut by hand, so fairly large differences can be evident. The relatively small differences between the OP’s coin and the reference coin do not bother me. But two other things do bother me. The weight being this far off is a concern, as is the general softness of the details on the OP’s coin. I would have liked to see the edge closeup because I suspect a cast fake, as opposed to a struck coin. The least likely case is that it is a rare variety, and that is what the OP was seeking. 

20220912_181145.jpg

20220912_181123.jpg

20220912_181107.jpg

On 9/12/2022 at 5:44 PM, VKurtB said:

20220912_181806.jpg

20220912_181722.jpg

20220912_181537.jpg

On 9/12/2022 at 12:12 PM, Thecosmin888 said:

20220912_181145.jpg

20220912_181123.jpg

20220912_181107.jpg

Thank you. Very helpful pictures. I expected to see evidence of a seam from the casting, but I do not. But what I do see if evidence of filing, possibly in an attempt to remove such evidence. I am not suggesting these are modern marks. They appear quite old. It may be a contemporary counterfeit. The existence of some raised marks in the fields could confirm that. I think I see some, but I usually try not to diagnose from photos with certainty. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/12/2022 at 6:20 PM, VKurtB said:

Thank you. Very helpful pictures. I expected to see evidence of a seam from the casting, but I do not. But what I do see if evidence of filing, possibly in an attempt to remove such evidence. I am not suggesting these are modern marks. They appear quite old. It may be a contemporary counterfeit. The existence of some raised marks in the fields could confirm that. I think I see some, but I usually try not to diagnose from photos with certainty. 

Yes there are a few.  in some parts it is thicker. thank you very much for all the help.  I'm just a beginner in collectable coins and I'm honest that I don't know much about.  really appreciate all the help. You are a true gentleman and proof of true character for many people in this group.

20220912_183101.jpg

20220912_183048.jpg

Much nicer close-up pictures than the majority of what we see here. Well done!

The overall mushiness of the design, the appearance of the coin in general, and the difference in weight put me in the "replica/fake" camp. Just my non-expert opinion. I think that, if the coin were mine, I would try to find a local dealer who knows these coins, or look for a larger coin show nearby, and have several dealers take a look. 

On 9/12/2022 at 12:44 PM, VKurtB said:

The weight being this far off is a concern

Jokes aside that jumped out at me too, but actually doing a little digging on a site I use to check German coins where I am looking for more info, I came across the attached from this site ...

Coin catalog - uCoin.net (https://en.ucoin.net/catalog/?q=1830+10+lepta)

It indicates that the weight should be 16 grams, with a diameter of 34mm and a thickness of 1.7mm which I am not sure if the OP measured carefully.  Of the two basic types the second "10 lepta, 1830" seems closer (particularly with the cross) with even more pictures that vary considerably within that basic type such as cross location, flames, character locations, etc. so it seems to vary considerably.  I do not know much about these coins at all but figured I would throw out there some additional info I found for others with more experience to consider as I may have jumped to conclusions based on the weight difference before.

1830 Greece 10 Lepta Gen Info.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/12/2022 at 7:53 PM, EagleRJO said:

Jokes aside that jumped out at me too, but actually doing a little digging on a site I use to check German coins where I am looking for more info, I came across the attached from this site ...

Coin catalog - uCoin.net (https://en.ucoin.net/catalog/?q=1830+10+lepta)

It indicates that the weight should be 16 grams, with a diameter of 34mm and a thickness of 1.7mm which I am not sure if the OP measured carefully.  Of the two basic types the second "10 lepta, 1830" seems closer (particularly with the cross) with even more pictures that vary considerably within that basic type such as cross location, flames, character locations, etc. so it seems to vary considerably.  I do not know much about these coins at all but figured I would throw out there some additional info I found for others with more experience to consider as I may have jumped to conclusions based on the weight difference before.

1830 Greece 10 Lepta Gen Info.jpg

on my coin.  there are somehow three flames not one and they are closer to the circle.  and the feathers are pointing down.  as for the size, it is exactly 30mm.  smaller.

20220912_201625.jpg

Screenshot_20220912-201138_Samsung Internet.jpg

To me, the general graininess of the fields makes me lean toward a casting. Yes, it could be corrosion graininess, but it seems so uniformly grainy. Corrosion typically is patchy.