• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a mint error and what is it called?
2 2

6 posts in this topic

I have an 1892 Columbian Exposition commemorative half dollar. The reverse is tilted towards the one o’clock mark rather than being in line with the obverse. I was wondering what causes this misalignment and is there a specific term to describe this anomaly? As noted in the picture I called it reverse off center for lack of a better understanding.  Thank you

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Walter Holmes
Additional information

On 8/22/2022 at 6:50 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Probably wouldn’t matter as this coin appears to have been harshly cleaned and the coin itself dies not hold great value at around $50 at best

Even if its harshly cleaned and holds little value, it's still interesting as 1892 was the first year that commemorative coins such as that half dollar were issued in the US.

Columbian Exposition Half Dollar | U.S. Mint  [www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/commemorative-coins/columbian-exposition-half]

But if you collect those types of coins, I would look for a better example.

1892 Columbian Commemorative Half Dollar NGC AU58 Toned #636182-016 | eBay

Edited by EagleRJO

What is it called?

Welp, you could hold it, and cuddle it, and call it George. 

(Looney Tunes reference.)