• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matte Finish or toning? 1921 peace
2 2

22 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2022 at 8:59 AM, Just Bob said:

"Matte" is a finish, not a color. It describes a surface without shine or reflection, and can be any color, or no color at all.

I am inclined to agree. I thought this was well-settled on the Forum. The "proof" coin is one that has gone through a specially prepared polished  planchet process. It does not stop being a "proof" after being subjected to, in this case, over a hundred years of wear and tear. It comes from royal provenance, and shall always remain so. It is a process, not a grade.

On 8/22/2022 at 9:14 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I am inclined to agree. I thought this was well-settled on the Forum. The "proof" coin is one that has gone through a specially prepared polished  planchet process. It does not stop being a "proof" after being subjected to, in this case, over a hundred years of wear and tear. It comes from royal provenance, and shall always remain so. It is a process, not a grade.

...and here i am thinking it was a place in southern france u went to with ur blind pig to find truffles....

On 8/22/2022 at 7:59 AM, Just Bob said:

can be any color, or no color at all.

Niobium coins?

On 8/22/2022 at 9:27 AM, zadok said:

...and here i am thinking it was a place in southern france u went to with ur blind pig to find truffles....

...that is close, provence...

🐓:  But " .... The period after trust on the obverse is exceedingly strong..."  

Q.A.:  I agree.  How could a post with so much promise, be virtually eviscerated with a few strategic strikes?  Alas, there is a lesson to be learned here...  

On 10/15/2022 at 7:41 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

How could a post with so much promise, be virtually eviscerated with a few strategic strikes?

That's what truth does: it eviscerates the lies, inventions, ignorant, blatantly dishonest, and self-serving.

:)

On 11/5/2022 at 4:34 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

I have a question about a coin being sold as a matte finish proof and before I buy it I would like to know is it a circulation coin or a matte finish proof? Here's the coin it is a snip it so I cant make the picture any better sorry. 

1909 matte proof.PNG

1909 rev.PNG

Per the topic of this thread, I can say unequivocally that your Lincoln cent IS NOT a 1921 Peace Dollar regardless of the finish.  :roflmao:

I have a question about a coin being sold as a matte finish proof and before I buy it I would like to know is it a circulation coin or a matte finish proof? Here's the coin it is a snip it so I cant make the picture any better sorry. 

1909 matte proof.PNG

1909 rev.PNG

He's ba-a-ak!  Too late for an application of the mythical "Q's exemption," but I should like to make a suggestion...  You can make the picture better. To please our roving switch-hitter, now back on this side of the street, get yourself a staple remover and feel free to post this delectable morsel on its own dedicated thread. Yes, I know all about that "first of all" post regarding your allergy to starting new threads. Go ahead! 

1909 matte proof.PNG

1909 rev.PNG

If you won't go to the extra work to post good photos, why should members go to the extra work of posting good information? If you want to buy it, include the requirement that it be certified as a matte proof by NGC.

@pigeonman333rd: While the photos are far too small for a proper examination, the narrow border on this coin indicates that it is a circulation strike. (I can also see that it's a 1909 V.D.B., which is quite rare as a matte proof, with 400-600 believed to have been issued as opposed to nearly 28 million circulation strikes.)  The matte proofs have a broader border, a finely grainy finish, a very strong strike, and a squared off (not beveled) edge.  Because these differences are subtle, I would only buy pieces that have been third party certified as proofs.  (You can see photos of actual matte proofs on NGC Coin Explorer, PCGS CoinFacts, and the online archives of major auction houses.)

As previously requested, please post your inquiries about specific coins as new topics, not on someone else's unrelated old topic.  What does this coin have to do with a 1921 Peace dollar! IF YOU DO THIS AGAIN, I WON'T RESPOND!

Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate your help Sandon. I have a pcgs pr64 Lincoln cent 3303.64/38055933 1909 Matte Finish  Proof that I bought for about $800 and I wanted the matching 1909 vdb Matte finish proof and was hoping it was real but I didn't see the flat wide rims or the upside down u shape in the reverse field next too the m in unum which is required of the 1909 vdb matte finish proof. I thought the two coins looked similar so I thought I would ask if it was genuine. Here is a picture of my proof cent

20221105_113320.jpg

20221105_114004.jpg

On 10/16/2022 at 5:41 PM, RWB said:

That's what truth does: it eviscerates the lies, inventions, ignorant, blatantly dishonest, and self-serving.

:)

On 11/5/2022 at 6:44 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Per the topic of this thread, I can say unequivocally that your Lincoln cent IS NOT a 1921 Peace Dollar regardless of the finish.  :roflmao:

I didn't know that the topic was piece dollar. I thought the topic was Matte Finish coins sorry.

On 11/5/2022 at 7:54 AM, RWB said:

If you won't go to the extra work to post good photos, why should members go to the extra work of posting good information? If you want to buy it, include the requirement that it be certified as a matte proof by NGC.

Sorry that's not my coin the guy wants 400 dollars for it. I figured offer him 200 but he needs better photos indeed but I got to stay off this post. Peace

On 11/20/2022 at 2:07 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

Sorry that's not my coin the guy wants 400 dollars for it. I figured offer him 200 but he needs better photos indeed but I got to stay off this post. Peace

The coin you’re being offered isn’t a Proof - if you buy it at an apparent bargain price, you’ll still be overpaying for it by a wide margin.

[This is what I love about the Chat Board.  One long-time member politely declines to comment alluding to a technicality:  the post is off the topic at hand The 1921 Peace Dollar.]

Another, away for a brief interval, is back and chomping at the bit. He weighs in politely suggesting one gets what one pays for.

Man, I love this place! Holiday Greetings to the OP, and the entire NGC membership!]

On 11/5/2022 at 10:54 AM, RWB said:

If you want to buy it, include the requirement that it be certified as a matte proof by NGC.

Good piece of advice. As you might recall, I bought a slabbed coin, but rather than take immediate delivery, I instructed the seller to submit it.  Well, well, well... surprise, surprise!  No go.  The seller gave me the bad news, graciously canceled the sale, refunded my money (minus the submission costs) and that was that.  The coin?  I am sorry to say I lacked the authority to demand it be re-submitted for reconsideration. I believe it safe to say it is now the next buyer's problem.  I have a few MS-67 Roosters and none compared with this junk yard dog.